Talk

Advanced search

Austria in summer?

(19 Posts)
mazarineblue Thu 01-Jun-17 17:24:17

Looking for inspiration! We are planning our summer hols and have left it a bit late 😀. We've got a villa booked for 7 days in St Gilgen on Wolfgangsee this August and are planning on flying into/out of Munich and spending four days either side of the villa week travelling around. Everywhere that takes a family of 5 seems booked up though! Any recommendations on any other good places to see/stay are welcome. We'll have a car and happy to do fair bit of travelling around...

Headfullofdreams Sat 03-Jun-17 08:02:22

We loved Innsbruck. The ski jump was great, the Croatian team were practising there when we went one summer. So much to do and see all over Austria for children.
Also family of 5 and find it easier in Europe to find rooms for 5 than in UK.
Lots of great swimming pools with slides in Austria.

Qtipsrsweet Sat 03-Jun-17 09:15:15

Lech/Zurs is beautiful in summer.... lots of walking, beautiful scenery. Lovely places to eat. Outdoor public swimming pool. Mini golf. Have a look at their tourist website.
http://www.lechzuers.com/lech-in-summer/
We have spent the last three summers there.

mazarineblue Sat 03-Jun-17 11:40:12

Thanks for those suggestions-they all look good so I am off to Google them! Fingers crossed I can find somewhere that sleeps 5 ..

LIZS Sat 03-Jun-17 11:43:48

Try going through local tourist offices as they will have a wider range of local accommodation. Nice forest outdoor pool at St Anton, Seefeld has an indoor/outdoor pool, pretty and lots of easy walking.

Headfullofdreams Sat 03-Jun-17 17:57:06

Yes Seefeld lovely too. Have you tried booking.com? And yes agree local tourist offices good for accommodation too.

If you take a cable car up the mountains, there is usually lots of playgrounds and child related activities going on and you can walk down the mountain past lots of restaurants. The lakes are great for swimming in.

beepbeepimasheep Sat 03-Jun-17 18:02:58

Another vote for Seefeld

Londonbum Sat 03-Jun-17 18:21:06

Another vote for Seefeld!

lljkk Sat 03-Jun-17 18:52:10

I am (we are) going to Kaprun area this summer. So much closer to Salzburg. We are also flying in and out of Munich.
I flew over Austrian Alps 2 yrs ago & became determined I must go there. smile

Because of the skiing industry there is lots of self-catering accommodation in summer. I think you will find something. I think ours was found on AirBnB actually.

mazarineblue Sat 03-Jun-17 23:08:07

Are you hiring a car from Munich lljkk? I think it's about 2 1/2 hours roughly from the airport to st gilgan where we have one week already booked. Kaprun looks good, lots to do. I've seen one or two places in zell am See but they are so expensive! Really looking forward to it -we went to Switzerland last year though which was amazing so hopefully it will live up to that!

lljkk Sat 03-Jun-17 23:48:27

We are staying in ZAS... yes hiring a car. Cross my fingers it all goes smoothly enough (for both of us).

curcur Tue 06-Jun-17 06:42:41

My 5th time in Carinthia this year so big thumbs up from me. We love lake Ossiach as it's a lot quieter than some of other lakes but has good beach with slide. Easy to go up into mountains from here and in fact stayed in a ski resort one summer. Lake worthersee is like an upmarket European resort, everything there. Lake Faak is gorgeous , turquoise and warm but small and so gets busy. Lake Faak is warm too but gets really busy. Langsee is very quiet and not as pretty as some of the others. The lakes in the mointains are too cold to swim in. There's so much do in this area in the summer. Summer tobogganing is a favourite. Last year we did a week in Italy first (still mountains) which was a good change. We would usually do an activity in the morning and head to the lake in the late afternoon. Looking forward to the summer now!

mazarineblue Tue 06-Jun-17 16:49:33

All these places sound fab! We've now booked 6 days in seefeld and a week in st gilgan. Zell was just coming up too expensive for the dates we are tied to. Just got 4 days between st gilgan and flights home (from Munich) to sort now grin

user1486076969 Wed 07-Jun-17 21:01:56

Watch out for Hire Car (collection) queues at Munich airport and autobahn queues around Munich. I specifically booked Sunday (rather than Saturday) flights as cheaper, and I (wrongly) assumed to be quieter.........definitely not the casegrin

user1486076969 Wed 07-Jun-17 21:25:49

Ramsau am Dachstein is lovely but is a little bit in the wrong direction from St Gilgan...but in the grand scale of things not far from Munich.

Jecan Mon 12-Jun-17 16:51:16

Zell am See is expensive compared to other Austrian resorts as it is filled with very rich Arab tourists in the summer. And I mean filled! The tourist Organisation did an ad campaign quite a few years ago to Arab countries selling it as similar to paradise and it was very successful.
There is still a lot of good things to do but it isn't really typical of an Austrian town in the summer

elizabethcharlotte Mon 12-Jun-17 20:55:20

Seefeld looks great but for all those who have been there, how did you get there? Did you drive? Or fly and hire a car?

namechangingagainagain Mon 12-Jun-17 21:01:12

I think it may be in the wrong direction for you but if you are have flights from munich the area of Bavaria near neuschwanstein is very cool.
We spent 4 nights camping there on the way to italy last year.
Lots of castles and cool things like summer tobbogan runs. Or Munich itself?
as a family of 6 I find booking.com gives best range of big hotel rooms- good luck in your search

We went to Saalbach-Hinterglem (near Zell) a couple of years ago, great for kids with absolutely loads to do.
www.saalbach.com/en/summer
A couple of years before that we went to Walchsee which is near the German boarder - lovely lake and nearby summer toboggan, castle in Kufstein etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now