Talk

Advanced search

what should I take to Kos?

(17 Posts)
ssd Thu 25-May-17 09:27:23

insect repellant, is it bad for mosquitos?

plugs I have sunscreen obvs

phone charger

etc

mind is blank!!

ssd Thu 25-May-17 15:29:22

bump

Wecks Thu 25-May-17 18:13:58

You travel light ssd wink. My packing list is huge. I have a packing list folder on PC
When are you going? Is it a lounging by the sea / pool type holiday or do you do sightseeing?
I like the sun but don't sunbathe, I sit in the shade where possible.
Day time.
Big hat, loads of books, half a dozen bikinis, long sleeve top to cover up. Flip flops
Evening
Two or three summer frocks and nice sandals. A very thin cardigan or I use a beach wrap in case it gets cool late at night.
Sightseeing/ trips
Comfy shoes, shorts, loose top.
Travel in comfy shoes and socks and loose trousers / crops.
Most Greek islands are bad for mozzies so yes to repellent.

OnyK Thu 25-May-17 18:49:14

Adaptor plugs, travel hairdryer & kettle if SC - the Greeks drink coffee not tea, so I always take a travel kettle and tea-bags!

googietheegg Thu 25-May-17 18:52:31

Denim shorts, light vests/camisoles, flip flops/fit flips...same every day!! You'll wear far fewer clothes than you think.

ssd Thu 25-May-17 22:38:25

fab thanks

any particular mozzie repellant?

tea bags a great call!

Wecks Fri 26-May-17 10:33:37

If you react badly to bites then get repellent with a high Deet content. The "natural" repellents don't really work.
Also remember to put it on all the time, there is no point waiting until you have been bitten and are covered with red blobs.
So as soon as you arrive, before you go down to that pool!
Spray your feet and legs particularly in the evening before you go out as they love to bite you while you are eating in that nice little restaurant overlooking the sea grin.
If you have air con that helps as you can keep doors and windows closed at night.
Have a lovely holiday!

ssd Fri 26-May-17 17:56:29

thanks

SooticaTheWitchesCat Fri 26-May-17 19:05:08

There are definitely mozzies in Kos so take some repellent with you.

You an get tea bags there, we have bought them before but maybe not the same kind you like at home.

ssd Fri 26-May-17 19:15:21

is there anything that kills the mozzies coming and biting you whilst you sleep, or do you need to cover yourself in repellant when you go to bed?

I've seen plug in thingys, do they work?

TheseAreTheGoodOldDays Fri 26-May-17 19:18:14

I've just recently came back from holiday where there were lots of mozzies - we took a plug in for the room, and some spray, which I believe was called 'Jungle Formula'. Neither of us were bit once! And they usually love my DF grin we also sprayed the repellant on the curtains inside the room near the balcony.

Makemineacabsauv Sat 03-Jun-17 20:42:42

You can buy good mozzie repellents in resort. I always use the burning spirals outside on the balcony and then get the plug ins if we need them. Always found the local spray on repellant to work best!
Oh, if you want to take some bits and bobs over for a fantastic charity look up Kos Kindness who help locals in need as well as refugees. They would really appreciate it! (Sorry but if a hijack there!)

WelshMoth Sat 03-Jun-17 20:49:25

My DParents have been known to take a mozzie net and screw hook when they travel to the Greek Islands. Honestly, it's the best thing they pack. Both my Mum and Dad react horrifically to bites but they fell in love with Greece years back.

Deet for evenings but a mosquito net set from go outdoors to drape over their bed has been their best tactic.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Sun 04-Jun-17 20:04:18

Plug ins hale and you can buy some insect killer to spray round the room before you go out of an evening and keep the window and doors closed.

TheRollingCrone Sun 04-Jun-17 20:09:35

Eau de Dynamisante by Clarins is great for keeping the mosquitoes away.

notapizzaeater Sun 04-Jun-17 20:17:45

Ooh watching as we off to Crete ....

Ginmakesitallok Sun 04-Jun-17 20:20:50

I got eaten alive my bugs in kos! By the end of our holiday the restaurant managers were repositioning their mossie candle things to near our table - I still have the scars! Kos is beautiful, I'm jealous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now