Talk

Advanced search

Castell Montgri campsite, Spain - anyone been?

(16 Posts)
Sarahlouboo Mon 22-May-17 07:45:15

Thinking of booking in August and would really appreciate advice from anyone who has been.

Will it be hideously busy in August? Don't mind if it is busy around the pools etc. but would like some peace and quiet around the mobile.

Is it easy to get a transfer from Gerona airport and how much approx?

Worth hiring a car? It would be nice to go up to Barcelona but I assume they do trips or that we can hop on a train?

Any holiday company better than the other? Looking at Canvas/Eurocamp and Siesta at the moment. Siesta looking the best on price and accom so far.

Any other tips gratefully received!

mirmc Mon 22-May-17 09:15:36

Its a fab campsite. I've been in August and it was busy, but not hideously so!

There's a new bus direct to the campsite from Gerona airport. You don't need a car as you there's a bus to the beach, but the campsite is built into a mountain and even carrying back your shopping, water etc in the heat would be a killer.

You can walk to the resort in 15 minutes, depends what age your children are I guess. The car hire is very cheap. We got a Focus for 2 weeks for €99. The roads are good and not too busy.

You could drive to Flaca and get the train into Barcelona. Think the bus takes about 3 hours! There are so many beautiful towns and coves to visit in this area, but there aren't many buses and taxis are pricy.

I recommend Lifestyle Holidays. They have about a hundred mobiles on CM. This is our 5th year with them and don't think you can beat them for size of mobile and value. A lot of extras are included with them that other companies charge for, eg aircon, bedlinen etc. They dont have a kids club, but the campsite one is great.

Any other questions, please ask. This is my favourite part of Spain.

Sarahlouboo Mon 22-May-17 12:43:36

Thanks mirmc! Really helpful and also reassuring as I had set my heart on this campsite but then kept reading reviews which kept mentioning how busy it was. Only have one DC aged 9 and not bothered about a Kids Club unless he happens to make friends and wants to go. Sounds as though hiring a car would be a good idea. I am going to go and check out Lifestyle mobiles now. Thanks again.

mirmc Mon 22-May-17 13:15:51

Everywhere will be busy in August, but we never noticed it being overtly so. E.g never had a problem getting a table in a restaurant or no horrendous traffic jams like you get in August in the South of France. The beach is fab for kids, sandy and shallow and there are boats with slides for hire, inflatables etc. Of course your son will love the waterslides and the pools in Castell Montgri! I'd highly recommend it.

Sarahlouboo Wed 24-May-17 06:25:44

Thanks again! :-)

UserShmuser Wed 24-May-17 06:42:14

Yes! I used to go here when I was younger and looking to go again with my family next year. It used to be amazing for kids and such a nice campsite, really safe and secure. The walk to the town and beach is a bit long but there used to be a shuttle service.

I'm so jealous of you right now!

Sarahlouboo Mon 29-May-17 10:43:13

Thank you :-)

Torn between Castell Montgri and this one now www.canvasholidays.co.uk/spain/costa-brava/campsite-castell-montgri.php

Sure either would be great. I like the fact that on this stretch of coast there are things for me and DH to see and do whilst DS gets to enjoy the pool complex etc.

mirmc Mon 29-May-17 13:19:22

Beauriful coastline.It'll be our 4th year and there's still loads of places I want to see. Sorry which other csmpsite are you considering?

mintich Mon 29-May-17 13:23:43

I had the best holidays there as a child!

Sarahlouboo Mon 29-May-17 15:08:15

Oh I linked to the wrong one! www.canvasholidays.co.uk/spain/costa-brava/campsite-cypsela.php?gclid=CjwKEAjwja_JBRD8idHpxaz0t3wSJAB4rXW56lwXUIFFLJKvsc2Eu6pf4hatx3My6VDb1FFyJ_mAqRoCyg3w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Just booked Castell Montgri with Lifestsyle for 9 nights. Very excited!

Sarahlouboo Mon 29-May-17 15:09:17

Thanks for the re Lifestyle Mirmc! smile

mirmc Mon 29-May-17 15:17:47

Cysela is nice but I think you've made the right choice with Castell Montgri. Nice to be able to stroll down town in the evenings. Lifestyle Holidays are great! 4 weeks til I go, can't wait! Check out El Delfin Verde for future reference when you 're in the area. Another one Lifestyle are on. (My favourite)! It's about 20 mins away from CM. Have a great holiday.

Sarahlouboo Mon 29-May-17 17:23:44

Hope you have a great holiday! I'll check out the other campsite you mentioned.

Last questiOn - the transfer that you mentioned in your first post, is this bookable through Lifestyle or the campsite or do you just turn up?

mirmc Mon 29-May-17 17:45:48

I think it's on the campsite's Facebook Page or if you go onto the campsite's own website there's a link to book it. This is great, as you before if you weren't hiring a car , you either had to get a taxi, or bus to Gerona city, then another bus to Estartit. Car hire is very cheap for a small car though, I'd recommend it. If you don't fancy it, I'd pay for plot down near the entrance/supermarket, (Yellow area) otherwise you might be at the top of the mountain and carrying your suitcases, shopping etc up in the heat of August would be a killer!

Sarahlouboo Tue 30-May-17 07:49:59

Cheers Mirmc! Will investigate. Can't make up our minds about a car but good to know it is so cheap. Hope you have a fabulous holiday.

mirmc Tue 30-May-17 09:42:39

You too! Don't miss Peratallada, a beautiful 12th century preserved village with loads of beautiful restaurants. About 15/20 mins from Estartit.You will love Castell Montgri!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now