Talk

Advanced search

Venice

(15 Posts)
KeepCalm Sun 21-May-17 17:19:53

Can anyone recommend a nice hotel for a couple to stay in please?

And is Nov/Dec a good time to travel?

TIA

Hulder Sun 21-May-17 17:29:08

Anytime is a good time for Venice! More sensibly the weather probably won't be nice but on the other hand it will be much quieter than in the summer when the place is absolutely heaving with cruise ships.

Think about whether it will be acqua alta and whether for you this will just add to the experience going about in welly boots or be a disaster - in reality it will prob not be anything more than a mild nuisance and there will be loads of shops selling boots.

Sadly can't remember where we stayed - we had a lovely AirBnB in Castello and a proper BnB in Dorsoduro. Avoid anything in San Marco like the plague.

bsmirched Sun 21-May-17 17:29:52

No advice regarding hotel but we went in December and it was fabulous. Cold, crisp, sunny days - we loved it.

KeepCalm Sun 21-May-17 17:33:38

We were in Rome in Jan and loved it. Coming from Scotland the wet doesn't bother us and I'd rather avoid the summer heat & tourists smile

Shall head to air B&B which I use all the time travelling as a family but foolishly forgot about for just DH & I!

Hulder Sun 21-May-17 17:40:03

If you are an AirBnB fan already I would recommend it for Venice - we loved having the space, we had our own balcony on a canal, weren't paying for a standard continental breakfast and instead went to a ciccheti bar for an espresso and croissant for 2 euros every morning like the locals. Best coffee I've ever had.

KeepCalm Sun 21-May-17 17:41:07

Just looking at all the lovely options now hulder. A self catering space suits us more tbh

KeepCalm Mon 22-May-17 21:23:52

Flights are BOOKED <glee>

BillyButtfuck Mon 22-May-17 21:48:27

Ca Nigra Lagoon Resort is a lovely small hotel.
The suite at the top is stunning and it has a lovely rose garden for breakfast and drinks.

Hobbitch Mon 22-May-17 22:07:03

We stayed at the Acca Hotel once in San Polo. Lovely quiet hotel and not too pricey. We also stayed in a self-catering flat (near the Rialto) and felt like we were proper locals, it was so much fun. I love Venice.

KeepCalm Mon 22-May-17 22:44:44

Thanks guys although am not sure breakfast in the garden in Dec @BillyButtfuck ? Maybe?!? Rome was like spring when we went on January!

BillyButtfuck Mon 22-May-17 22:52:27

Oops blush I went in June and must have got carried away typing that in my fantasy of memories and hopes of returning grin

KeepCalm Mon 22-May-17 23:18:26

I've swum in the North Sea in January @BillyButtfuck am sure I had handle breakfast lol

Will check out all suggestions, thank you.

Underparmummy Tue 23-May-17 14:43:02

Dimora Dogale (Castello but near Rialto and San Marco) was lovely, excellent location and good rooms. B and B.

Breakfast is by a little window looking right onto a canal.

KeepCalm Tue 23-May-17 21:55:15

That sounds lovely too @Underparmummy.

Notsoskinnyminny Sat 27-May-17 16:36:59

We usually go for new year and only once was the weather unbearably cold, this year we had bright blue skies everyday.

For our last 2 visits we've stayed in the Hotel Ala. Its more central than other places we've stayed in so we're not as restricted about where we eat at night (although Venice isn't that big) but a husband who reckons he knows his way round without a map after so many visits is not fun when you're lost at 11pm before he finally concedes agrees we're at the wrong end of the island grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now