Talk

Advanced search

Turkey yay or nay

(35 Posts)
Jakeyboy1 Sat 20-May-17 21:16:38

Seems to have fallen out of the news a bit. Would you risk it with kids? Anyone been lately? How was the security?

Zoflorabore Sun 21-May-17 09:55:46

Here in Turkey now, popular as ever and security has been strict, im the biggest worrier ever and feel totally safe here!

I'm at the Aqua fantasy waterpark hotel and spa, Kusadasi.

bangingmyheadoffabrickwall Sun 21-May-17 20:28:51

We went in 2014 and we loved it! It was our first time and we are going back a week tomorrow! Turkey is no different in terms of people being friendly, polite, kind, helpful and trying to earn a decent living in an industry that is not year-long than any other tourist resort.

We're staying in the Antalya region which is very popular for AI hotels with mini water parks.

When people question why we are going to Turkey and they cite terrorism, I then question them as to whether I'd be safer in France, Belgium, Germany and even London! Everyone knows the risks of Terrorism and ISIS but quite frankly, Turkey is being unfairly judged and I do wonder whether it is because it is a muslim country. Also the political unrest doesn't affect the tourist areas AT ALL. It's all centralised in cities a good 12 hours drive away such as Istanbul and Ankara and even then everything is calm. There has always been tension in the country but Turkey is a VERY big country and it is in regions far, far away from the tourist areas. And don't forget that ISIS recently threatened to target Spanish holiday resorts ...

Jet2holidays (fly from the North of England but recently opened some flights from Stansted, but not to Turkey I don't think) are cheap and reliable. We get 22kg hold luggage and 10kg hand luggage. Voted 'best airline' by tripadvisor too. Our holiday for a family of four, AI in a 4-star resort was £1800 - that included all luggage, transfers, pre-booking of seats and insurance too.

Disclaimer: I am in no way connected to the airline or holiday industry! But seeing as I have travelled a great deal with jet2 I cannot fault them and only sing their praises.

Jakeyboy1 Sun 21-May-17 20:58:01

The Sensatori prices are crazy compared to elsewhere. Just wandering if warm enough in October.

GlitterRollerSkate Sun 21-May-17 21:02:32

We went to Kusadasi last October. Was about 25-28C most of the time. Had a brilliant time.

Toffeewoman Mon 22-May-17 08:39:25

My DD20 is also at the Aqua Fantasy Kusadasi. Glad to hear the security is strict I am a worrier.

Zoflorabore I will tell her a mumsnetter is also there she will laugh.
Enjoy the rest of your holiday it looks great.

Zoflorabore Mon 22-May-17 13:43:06

Hi Toffee! Just wondering if your username is connected to a certain football team?

If so I support the same one smile

We're having a scorcher here today!

Hersetta427 Mon 22-May-17 14:35:13

yay for me. We went last summer (to the Sensatori Fethiye) and are going again this Saturday and this time staying at the voyage belek - it has amazing facilities (including water slides, crazy gold and a funfair - all included). Really looking forward to it.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Mon 22-May-17 16:10:39

I would definitely go, I love Turkey smile

2014newme Mon 22-May-17 16:15:07

I love turkey but prefer to go elsewhere currently

Jakeyboy1 Mon 22-May-17 16:16:03

@Hersetta427 Sensatori fetihye is what we are looking at. Good for kids?

littlemissM92 Mon 22-May-17 16:24:11

Yes! Go next month x

Hersetta427 Mon 22-May-17 16:31:38

Jakey, Yes Ok for kids (not as much going on as at a holiday village though). It was probably better for adults as the food and drinks were great but they didn't seem to cater for the children's different pallet's to a huge extent.

DD is older (she was 8 last year) and hated the fact that all the kids club sessions were mixed age groups (from 3-12 yrs) and didn't want to spend sessions with her 5 yr old brother yet alone 3 yr olds. The evening entertainment for kids was a bit repetitive also (it only runs on a weekly cycle so by the second week we had seen everything). It also only ran for 30 mins. At a holiday village it runs for well over an hour and is on a 2 week cycle.

We had a lovely time but the kids both agreed they like all that goes on at a holiday village so we are going to HV Rhodes in August - there is a HV in Turkey also which we went to 4 years ago.

Fluckle Mon 22-May-17 16:34:22

We were there last year during the coup and saw and heard no trouble whatsoever. Likewise friends at other resorts that were more 'frontline' with events as they unfolded.

I was really sceptical about Turkey, but it was an absolutely lovely holiday. The Turkish people we met were fantastic, their food is delicious, the weather was perfect. Wouldn't hesitate to go back.

Pibplob Mon 22-May-17 16:38:56

When did they say they were going to target Spanish holiday destinations? I didn't hear this. Thanks.

Toffeewoman Mon 22-May-17 19:59:11

Yes Zoflorabore you are right about the football team.

Keeping in touch via Whattsap.

Only day two but looks like they are having a fab time.
Never been to Turkey but I now may now change my mind.

Yes Zoflabore you are right about the football team.
I am keeping in touch via Whatsapp.
It looks gorgeous I may change my mind about Turkey now.
Yes I know the weather is great keep getting photos sent to me . lol

Toffeewoman Mon 22-May-17 20:00:16

Only newbie sorry it posted twice.

magimedi Mon 22-May-17 20:03:59

2 weeks until I go!

I love Turkiye & long to be there again.

I am very sad about all the political things that have happened & wonder, every year, if it might be my last visit but I will kepp going for as long as Ican.

Zoflorabore Mon 22-May-17 20:46:14

Great taste toffeewink

We're in day two aswell, your dd must have been on our flight ( Manchester to Izmir with Thomson? )

You're right not to worry, the Aqua fantasy is not in a resort, it's totally self contained and huge, security at gates and waterpark, loads of nationalities, friendly absolutely everywhere and the staff can't do enough for you. Tell her to look out for a little girl with crazy curly hair and a loud mouth, that's my dd wink she is quite a character.

To anyone who is contemplating Turkey, you will not be disappointed. It's just been the Turkish bank holiday here and there were tons of Turkish families who have chosen to holiday here, they love kids and make a real fuss of them. We don't want to leave.

duxb Mon 22-May-17 20:51:26

My parents landed in Dalaman an hour after the coup last year. They didn't even know till the watched sky news the following day.

We've been three times and my parents five.

Weather and food are all fab and the tourist resorts are so far away from where the unrest has been. We've always had wonderful holidays and as soon as DD is old enough to withstand the summer temperatures, we will be back.

Toffeewoman Mon 22-May-17 21:33:25

Yes she flew from Manchester on Saturday about 3.30 so maybe they were on your flight.

I will pass on your message about your dd. How old is she ?

They are at the MJ tribute night tonight and off to the waterpark tomorrow.

Oh I am abit worried as its her first holiday without us. x

Zoflorabore Mon 22-May-17 21:43:38

We've also been to the MJ tribute act!! My dd is 6 but looks a bit older, were a family of 4, me, dp, ds 14 looks 16 and dd 6.

For a first holiday without parents this is perfect, very family orientated, no resorts to go to nearby to the bars offering drinks for 50p etc, she will be perfectly safe here, there are lots of young people, older people and everything else in between and every set up imaginable. Please try not to worry! Even the beach is totally private.

I went on my first holiday without parents in 1996 when I was 18 and later on my mum told me she didn't sleep for two weeks worrying- we had a ball, were totally safe and in them days we had no mobiles, what's app, fb etc so at least she is checking in with you.

Yes the flight was 3.30 on Saturday and 10.30 pm home on Saturday night; were only here for a week ( unfortunately )

Zoflorabore Mon 22-May-17 21:43:48

Xx

SunEgg Mon 22-May-17 21:48:06

Definitely yes. Everything is lovely including the people, and you get good value for money with the resorts.

minnymoobear Mon 22-May-17 21:50:18

Went with 3 dc over easter and stayed in Fetiyhe - loved it and no issues at all anywhere
Go and have fun!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now