Talk

Advanced search

Euro Disney - advice needed

(14 Posts)
MalmMumma Thu 18-May-17 20:16:03

We're planing to head to Euro Disney next April and looking for some advice before booking. We'll be in Paris visiting family for a few days before going to Euro Disney so won't need to factor travel time into our plans. So:

- how many days would you go for? DS will be 4 by then.
- we usually go for self catering when we're abroad but it seems like most of the accommodation in the area is hotel based. Any recommendations for self catering or hotels? We'd like something with a shuttle bus/transport to the park rather than having to hire a car.
- is there anything else we should consider? We've never been before, not even as kids ourselves so we're a bit clueless!

Thanks in advance

Dailystuck71 Fri 19-May-17 18:32:14

We stay at the adagio apartments which are at Val de Europe and the supermarket. Basic but clean and enough there to self cater.

There is a shuttle bus to the park just across the road.

I'd say definitely 2 full days. Preferably 3 or 4 to see everything. Also check dates for European school holiday dates to try and work out how busy the parks are going to be. Busy parks mean longer waiting in line. Quiet park means you can probably be round everything In a couple of days.

TittyGolightly Fri 19-May-17 18:40:11

We do 4 nights 5 days plus a night either side.

(Ps - it's not Euro Disney, it's Disneyland Paris.)

Loads of help to be had for newbies on DLP for Brits group on Facebook.

KitKat1985 Fri 19-May-17 19:48:07

I'd definitely advise staying near the parks. The parks involve a lot of walking and it can be a tiring day for adults, and obviously doubly so for young children, so you won't want a long drag back to the hotel. Plus the fireworks at night are amazing (and a must see) but they're not until quite late, and if you've been all the park all day you're not going to want to wait around until nearly 10pm for the fireworks. If you are in a nearby hotel you can go back there at 5pm or something and then pop out again to the parks in the evening once you've rested your legs. Also the weather in April can be unpredictable so you may decide if there's a heavy shower that you want to be able to pop back to the hotel to dry off or escape the rain.

The main Disney hotels all provide free shuttle buses to the parks and are the closest places to stay, but they're quite expensive. They will though tell you that as a hotel guest you will get 'extra magic' hours as a Disney hotel guest, so you may feel this justifies the cost. However, how useful these are to you depends on how early you intend on getting up in the morning as (if I remember - I've not been for a few years now) the extra magic hours are between 8-10am, so not of much use if you don't plan on getting up early. A slightly cheaper option which I've done before is to stay here: www.explorershotels.com/en/ which is also very close by and done in a very 'themed Disney-esque way' but without the huge price tag. Loads of free shuttle buses from here too. Bear in mind that both the Explorers hotel and the main Disney hotel operate a 'time slot' system for breakfast, where they stagger the arrival at the breakfast buffet by giving you a set time to arrive for breakfast, so you don't have the freedom to just turn up for breakfast when you want.

As for how long to stay for, there are two parks there: Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. There's also the Disney village which isn't a park, but a collection of Disney shops and themed restaurants just outside the main parks. Obviously your 4 year old won't meet the height restrictions for several of the big attractions, so if you are planning on just skipping these attractions altogether I'd say 3-4 days would be plenty, (3 if you are happy to just see most things, 4 probably if you want time to do pretty much everything and maybe repeat a couple of favourite rides). If you are still planning on doing some of the big attractions bear in mind these tend to have the longest queues, so 4-5 days would be better.

Not sure what else to advise apart from wear comfy shoes (as a say, lots of walking and time on your feet) and I'd probably say wear layers in April due to the unpredictability of the weather.

Dailystuck71 Sat 20-May-17 07:58:01

See I don't agree with being at the main Disney hotels. Adagio as an example or even apartments at Seris are actually closer to the entrance than some of the DLP hotels.

MyOtherProfile Sat 20-May-17 08:05:01

I really recommend staying in one of the Disney hotels around the lake, like Sequoia lodge or the New York one. They're close enough to walk round the lake into the park in 10 mins which is quicker than the shuttle plus you get 2 hours in the park in the morning before the plebs are allowed in! And you can walk back to your room for a rest in the afternoon before going back for the parade and fireworks later.

Also definitely book a meal package. You can book a set menu at any of a list. They're themed and are quite fun. Some are actually part of the ride so you can watch people going by on the ride, like the ratatouille one or the pirates of the Caribbean one.

MyOtherProfile Sat 20-May-17 08:07:16

And the thing ours love most is the Jedi training. You need to go queue ASAP for that to even get a ticket but then they spend an hour doing the training and take part in a show where they fight Darth Vader in front of an audience.

Lj8893 Sat 20-May-17 08:18:52

myother the Jedi training has a minimum age of 7 I believe so not suitable for the ops ds.

Op, I would say you need at least 2 full days in the parks. 3-4 if possible.

Staying in a Disney hotel gets you the benefit of early magic hours, so 2 extra hours in the parks in the morning which is good.

definitely look at the dlp for brits Facebook group, it's fantastic.

TheLionQueen1 Sat 20-May-17 08:33:37

I'd have a 2 day both park hops ticket, we always stay in a hotel that is affiliated with Disney but not a Disney hotel so price not half as much! We stayed in Vienna Dream Castle the past two years, has play area for kids, Disney characters and shop and a free shuttle bus to Disney every 20 mins (only about 8-10mins). Would highly recommend!

MyOtherProfile Sat 20-May-17 08:52:59

myother the Jedi training has a minimum age of 7 I believe so not suitable for the ops ds.
Oops good point Lj8893

KitKat1985 Sat 20-May-17 12:27:40

This may be helpful too for you OP:

www.mumsnet.com/travel/features/planning-a-trip-to-disneyland-paris

NotPennysBoat Sat 20-May-17 14:44:18

I would definitely recommend a Disney hotel. We loved New York but it was £££, next time we'll probably try Sequoia (slightly cheaper). We went for 4 nights which was just right IMO, it was sooo handy to be able to nip back to the hotel for a snooze after lunch before heading back to the parks in the evenings.

Bear in mind that brekky is no longer included in most rooms prices, so that's an extra cost.

Jakeyboy1 Sat 20-May-17 21:22:10

I hadn't been before either.

We did 4 days onsite at Hotel New York. You get the2 extra "magic hours" by staying onsite.

The one thing I found unbelievable was the food cost. We hadn't bought a package because they were expensive but then the food is really expensive (you're talking £60 for a cheap looking canteen that would cost you £20'at home) other than the McDonald's. After a couple of days we figured we may as well go to the decent restaurants as it wasn't a lot more. You need to book any character dining restaurants like cage Mickey. Amazing character dining at the Disneyland hotel , think it is called Inspirations. The princess lunch is fab if you have little girls.

If you fly you can book a private transfer really cheaply (£80 return) which was fantastic with the kids.

MalmMumma Mon 29-May-17 16:49:43

Thanks for all the brilliant advice. Have been looking online and found some options for DH and I to chat through before booking- we're both super excited and I can't wait to go now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now