Talk

Advanced search

Weekend breaks with kids - need ideas!

(20 Posts)
twixxy Sat 13-May-17 19:22:03

Going away with a friend and kids (girls) aged 10 and 12. Two nights, three days

We were planning Amsterdam but for various reasons that's not happening. Going round in circles re an alternative. Where have you been and loved? Happy to fly/drive/take train but ideally not more than a couple of hours actual travel time (from London) as it's only a short break.

TIA

BendingSpoons Sat 13-May-17 19:23:43

I like Barcelona, you can do a mix of culture, shopping, food, beach.

Crumbs1 Sat 13-May-17 19:28:27

Biarritz and let them learn to surf.
Berlin has plenty to do.
Copenhagen is fabulous.

twixxy Sat 13-May-17 19:37:41

Done Barcelona a couple of times (without kids) so be good to go somewhere new. Fab tho. Ditto Berlin

Love the idea of Copenhagen - is it as ferociously expensive as the rest of Scandinavia?

Suttonmum1 Sat 13-May-17 19:46:34

Munich?

twixxy Sat 13-May-17 20:08:51

Went there for work a few years back. So hard to find somewhere I've not been that's not too far and is good for kids!

AngelicCurls Sat 13-May-17 20:14:58

UK- Edinburgh, Lake District, North wales,North Norfolk coast, Devon/Cornwall

Europe-Palma (Mallorca), Ibiza (plenty of nice bits outside of the packagey bits), Madrid,

delilahbucket Sat 13-May-17 20:17:37

We're going to the Isle of Wight for a short break. We've been before and it's brilliant. Loads to do.

noramum Sat 13-May-17 20:21:49

Paris, easy with Eurostar from London and you are straight in the city instead of having to travel for another hour from an airport.

Berlin is great

I loved Stockholm but that was pre-child but I think there is lots to do. Pricey though.

Crumbs1 Sat 13-May-17 20:37:42

We did Copenhagen at Easter with four 'proper' adults and five young adults 18-25. Alcohol was expensive but we weren't ridiculous and given euro against pound at moment not much worse than other capitals. You can make it cheaper with a Copenhagen card, gentle pottering and bakeries for breakfast rather than expensive hotel breakfast when you book room only.
We stayed at Admiral hotel that was very reasonable and well located. Last time we stayed at Radisson in Fredericksburg. Both good.
We walked quite a lot. We did a boat trip, hired a hot tug (Google) they were brilliant fun being ferried around the harbour in a floating hot tub (that bit was expensive). We breakfasted on Danish pastries and croissant just aroung corner from hotel. Climbing a very high church tower was free. Changing of the guard was free. Loads to do. There's a pool in the harbour where you can swim too. People are lovely and helpful. I wouldn't do the Carlsberg tour again - we got a full refund at the end of the day as we thought it was so poor. Other than that just a lovely city.

twixxy Sat 13-May-17 20:37:57

Done Paris and Berlin
Would love to do Stockholm
Worried it's a bit pricey
Some great ideas though - good food for thought thank you

FairyPenguin Mon 15-May-17 17:01:10

Jurassic Coast in Dorset - stayed in Lyme Regis which is a lovely coastal town, with walks, loads of places to eat and drink, markets, shops, just really good for wandering around. Went to Charmouth which is the next towns along the coast, and did fossil-hunting. The Heritage Centre runs free walks showing you how to find fossils, which we all loved. We came home with loads of fossils.

keely79 Mon 15-May-17 17:03:39

Seville - Flamenco, tapas and very easily navigable by foot.

Budapest - great for a weekend away and very reasonable.

PotteringAlong Mon 15-May-17 17:05:10

Lille by Eurostar?
Venice?
Belfast and do the titanic museum?

twixxy Mon 15-May-17 17:24:44

Oooh great ideas. Eurostar prices seem to have gone a bit nuts but we are looking at Venice and Belfast sounds great too

Madcats Mon 15-May-17 20:06:50

If they are into theme parks, take them to De Efteling (it's about an hour's drive from Amsterdam).

Copenhagen is lovely BTW.

How about Nice? There is a great train service along the coast to Monaco or Antibes. I can't remember when the Grand Prix is, though. Best to avoid that weekend if you don't like racing cars.

DD9 and I mooched around Belgium when racing-mad husband was at the Spa Grand Prix. The train service seemed pretty cheap and efficient DD was suitably impressed by the waffles/chocolate and chips.

Too much choice, really. I think I'd check flight prices on Easyjet (other airlines are available) and maybe do a "why not".

WritingHome Tue 16-May-17 16:09:56

Prague
Venice
Florence
Porto
Paris
Palma
Krakow
Vienna
Frankfurt

squishee Tue 16-May-17 16:21:52

Another vote for Copenhagen. Tivoli Gardens, boat rides, towers to climb. But expensive, yes.

fencote Tue 16-May-17 19:49:14

Norfolk Broads and base yourselves around Wroxham. One day adventure fantastic fun plus another day hire a boat to pootle around the Broads.
Have done both - the kids would absolutely love the Swallows & Amazon Day. HTH

twixxy Tue 23-May-17 23:06:23

Need to book more mini breaks clearly - ace ideas

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now