Talk

Advanced search

Sicily in August - looking for recommendations of where to stay

(8 Posts)
iwantavuvezela Fri 12-May-17 13:29:57

There are four of us that will be going to Sicily in August - usually we look at Masseria's to stay (we love the farm house / swimming pool / great views / good food combination)

If anyone had any recommendations of where they have stayed - or any good places of where to go I would appreciate it. Never been, so just starting to research.

TIA

Notsoskinnyminny Sat 13-May-17 15:46:40

We stayed in Ortigia and hired car. We went to Catania and Etna and loved Ragusa and Modica. Everywhere was so cheap but we didn't go to the touristy resorts which I've heard are more expensive, and probably why the direction signs for Noto were vandalised and we could never find our way to the centre of the town.

Be prepared its soooo hot in August there were times when we didn't want to get out of the car!

And if you've not been before the driving is crazy but after a day DH loved the chaos and how everything kept moving - I think it was about 3 before I could open my eyes at junctions grin

Stillwishihadabs Sat 13-May-17 16:02:20

s://www.booking.com/hotel/it/casali-di-

We stayed here last August it was lovely, up in the mountains, so not too hot and cheap!

SJane45S Sat 13-May-17 17:08:03

We're going in August as well, flying into Catania, moving onto Taormina and then Ortiga. We're staying in apartments in Catania (Habitat Home) and Ortiga (Apartmenti di Charme) which look really nice, slap bang in the heart of town & are reasonably priced! In Taormina we're staying 5 days in a hotel as my daughter will want a pool to swim in part of the time. The hotels are really expensive - ours (Hotel Isola Bella) looks very basic and is €775.

SJane45S Sat 13-May-17 17:09:57

The Hotels in Taormina that is that are v expensive, no idea about other places!

iwantavuvezela Sun 14-May-17 11:03:57

Thank you for the info. Still wish I had a look at the place you mentioned, it looks awesome, and definitely a contender. notsoskinny advice heard on the driving!!!!!!!

mitaly Thu 25-May-17 17:23:28

We had a problem finding a parking lot in Noto. At the end we left the car somewhere outside and walked into the city center.

mitaly Thu 25-May-17 17:25:09

Caltagirone is a nice place to visit. I also liked Ghibellina (the old village, I don't know the new one).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now