Talk

Advanced search

Venice for a 16yo.

(19 Posts)
mmmchocolatex Thu 11-May-17 19:57:29

Hiya all! My daughter is going to Venice in August with her boyfriend (19). Is there anything recommendations or tips? It'll be her first time abroad without me.

GummyGoddess Thu 11-May-17 20:02:43

Don't put your hands in the water, it's filthy (but very pretty at night).

Not sure what she's interested in, I quite liked the Doge's Palace but I don't know if I would have been interested at 16.

Will be surprised if you don't get told off for letting her go though (I was with DH at the same ages and we're now in our 30's).

mmmchocolatex Thu 11-May-17 20:08:04

Thank you! She did mention they were having a punting (?) lesson so I'll mention that! They've been on a few little trips together around the UK so she'll be fine! His grandmother lives in Venice anyway so is around in case of an emergency smile

mmmchocolatex Thu 11-May-17 20:30:12

Also her boyfriend is very much into art, she likes shopping and beaches!

GummyGoddess Thu 11-May-17 21:35:47

We were only there a few days before moving to our next destination but it was really pretty and I loved getting the water bus to random locations.

Iamastonished Fri 12-May-17 12:55:01

Venice has a terrible problem with pick-pockets, so they both need to be aware of this. The vaporettos are where a lot of them operate.

Iamastonished Fri 12-May-17 14:16:31

Venice has a terrible problem with pick-pockets, so they both need to be aware of this. The vaporettos are where a lot of them operate.

Iamastonished Fri 12-May-17 14:16:51

Oops. That wasn't meant to go through twice.

mmmchocolatex Fri 12-May-17 16:39:59

Thank you I'll tell them to keep that in mind!

WritingHome Tue 16-May-17 16:15:21

I have been to Venice many times and never had a problem with pick pockets, they just need to be aware of their surroundings.

It is a beautiful city for wandering about. She will have a fab time

Harree Tue 16-May-17 17:39:56

Take wellies! I didn't plan for rain & flooded areas & ruined a brand new pair of leather boots...

milkjetmum Tue 16-May-17 17:43:32

Yes be aware not to accept anything from street vendors who will try to press it into your hand, easy to avoid once you know about it but English manners make us naturally accept something someone tries to give to us. Is a common scam in Venice.

But beautiful city, I wish I could go now to see the Damien Hirst exhibition

hellokittymania Tue 16-May-17 17:55:59

If she likes shopping, she may like to go to either Verona or Trieste. They could go on the train and both are very close to Venice, just a few hours. They aren't as touristy as Venice, Trieste have some nice beaches and very very good coffee! Trieu stay has the coffee university so if she likes coffee, There are plenty of famous coffee shops.

susanboozan Wed 17-May-17 18:26:41

Will be totally heaving with hordes of people. I know this been a few times now and am finished with the place, but it is spectacular have to say.. Could be VERY hot and stinky in August too. Bear that in mind.

But when you are young you probably don't mind crowds and excessive heat, but I did. It was unreal. Sorry about that. I had no problems with pickpockets just be sensible. Ah but they are teenagers!

Where are they staying, outside or within Venice itself?

Last time I went we stayed in Padova (Padua) it's twenty minutes into Venice from there on the train, the station in Venice is right on the canal, and Padova itself is magical and far from the madding crowds. Lots of young people there too because of the famous University, but they will be elsewhere in August I reckon!

Iamastonished Fri 19-May-17 08:55:49

Yes to the wellies. St Marks was ankle deep in water on one of the days we were there and my feet were cold and wet all day.

iseenodust Mon 29-May-17 12:45:11

Instead of the standard visit to the Doges Palace do the secret tour. You can book online. It's much more fun doing the secret passages !

Chillidawg Mon 29-May-17 13:21:51

A bit of a step-up from my own 'yay, I'm 16' trip away with my boyfriend. A two man tent on a very windy Lake District campsite. Crawly things got into the tent and I ended up sleeping in his Ford Capri.

Badbadbunny Sat 03-Jun-17 20:00:04

A day trip to Murano and Burano is very enjoyable as both Islands are a lot quieter and more picturesque than the hustle & bustle of central Venice. We took our 14 year old son to Venice and he thoroughly enjoyed it - just walking around the narrow streets and turning a corner to see a huge square or church you didn't expect is quite something. The main thing to be aware of is the cost - everything is so expensive, so they need to prepare for that.

booellesmum Sat 03-Jun-17 20:03:23

Be very aware of prices for food/ drinks.
It is very expensive in the main squares especially if you sit outside. Look for lovely little local places down side streets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now