Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about Rome and Florence please!

(17 Posts)
WestYorkshireGirl Sat 06-May-17 21:46:10

I am coming up to a big birthday and have always wanted to see Rome and Florence. This would be a rare child-free event! Having looked a little bit into it, they look expensive (in September when I would look to go) and for a 3 night break I would have to choose between them. I am interested in any reflections or recommendations about them but also anywhere else that you went to and enjoyed. Thanks

squoosh Sat 06-May-17 21:52:05

Both wonderful cities so either would make for a great mini break. Florence is very compact and walkable, charming and gorgeous, but very touristy. Rome is obviously bigger and busier and feels more like a 'working' city but obviously has a wealth of historic attractions too.

Lovely conundrum to have picking between the two 😊

hellokittymania Sat 06-May-17 22:01:44

I used to live in Italy, including in Florence. Just a bit of an insight, but if you stand up at the counter at coffee bars, it's much cheaper since you don't pay the service charge for sitting down. Also if you want to go a bit off the beaten track, look for the YouTube videos by Mark Wiens. He did a few in Rome. Also there is an amazing ice cream place in Florence that is near Campo di marte train station called Gelateria Badiani. Amazingly good ice cream! If you avoid eating at the tourist areas, it is cheaper and you can usually find some very good and tasty lunch deals.

Perugia is a lovely place and not as touristy as Rome Florence or Assisi but still easily accessed by train from either Rome or Florence.

If you like cheese, local supermarkets have a fantastic selection. You could always buy cheese, meat, bread and wine and binge on a midnight feast! Also there are some really delicious chocolates called gianduiotti that are like Nutella bites. Not sure where the Eataly food theme park is but it sounds good! grin

Be aware that there are many scammers about, and of course keep your bag near. I was robbed twice in Italy. Be careful at train stations or when boarding trains.

And check if you need to punch your train ticket on the yellow machine before you board your train. I was last in Italy in 2011, but you had to stamp your ticket before you got on the train or you would have to pay a fine. I believe there is a new train service from Rome to Florence that is a fast train, but I find that trenitalia fares are much cheaper than trains in the UK.

NotCitrus Sat 06-May-17 22:05:45

In either one, go a couple 100m off the tourist routes to find excellent and much cheaper food and drink.

LIZS Sat 06-May-17 22:09:19

Very different cities, each lovely in their own way. Rome you can just keep walking and see more and more, Florence is more compact and arty. Whichever you choose prebook slots at the main attractions to jump the queues.

BarchesterFlowers Sat 06-May-17 22:15:34

I prefer Florence hands down. I would fly to Bologna which is beautiful and take the train to Florence for an overnight trip (or do it the other way round).

I spent a summer (3 months) in Perugia hello, lovely memories, beautiful place (but I now always think of Meredith Kercher case rather than chocolates).

FatGirlWithChocolate Sun 07-May-17 12:34:41

I'm completely biased because I am utterly in love with it..but I would choose Rome..it's endlessly wonderful..on our first night there we walked from the Vatican (we stayed right next to it) all the way to the Colosseum and back..it was just the most amazing thing ever. I'd go back a million times over in a heartbeat.

StripeyZazie Sun 07-May-17 12:41:41

Rome, definitely. It is jaw dropping. Simply amazing. There is a sense of history integrated into everyday life there that I've yet to find anywhere else. It really is the Eternal City.

Florence is also lovely, but very, very centred round tourism. Even with pre-booked "beat the queues" tickets, you queue a good because everything is so crammed full.

Blowingthroughthejasmineinmymi Wed 10-May-17 17:10:31

I adore both of them.

However if you do Florence you must do its sister sister Sienna, they both compliment each other beautifully and you can get bus ( about an our I think) between the two. Sienna is simply stunning and totally different to F - F is dark green., solid building, heavy and rich. Sienna is sandy coloured - light - gorgeous square in the middle all little windy streets run down to it - little windy lanes to explore.

Rome is very nice city of course great vibe. love all of them.

heron98 Thu 11-May-17 14:22:31

I really liked Rome. You can just wonder round and look at the old stuff and don't even need to pay if you don't want to. I thought Florence was quite boring blush, although the cathedral was cool.

susanboozan Mon 15-May-17 18:02:29

For a three night break IMO it's either one or the other, not both!

Rome is number one for me. Still haven't seen it all.

Or.... fly to Pisa, see the tower, train to Lucca (absolutely gorgeous spot), base yourselves there and train into Florence for the day, start VERY early and get there before the place is rammed with people like yourselves, ie tourists!

Whichever you choose will be fabulous. I just don't think both Florence and Rome are doable for three nights. But that's just me.

NoCapes Mon 15-May-17 18:06:13

I know someone with children called Rome & Florence
<helpful> grin

PigletWasPoohsFriend Mon 15-May-17 18:08:14

I absolutely love Florence. I really don't like Rome.

I agree that you won't really be able to do both in such a short time.

Rome. The Trevi Fountain is one of the most beautiful places I've seen.

NeoTrad Mon 15-May-17 18:09:59

I really recommend getting a private guided tour. You will enjoy it so much more!

happypoobum Mon 15-May-17 21:24:18

Rome is the most beautiful city. There is just so much to do and see you will never be bored.

Florence is lovely but if you have to choose then Rome would win hands down for me.

WritingHome Tue 16-May-17 16:07:31

I have been to both a few times and for a trip that short I would pick Florence!

I would need longer in Rome.

Have a great trip

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now