Talk

Advanced search

First abroad holiday for years - where to go?

(21 Posts)
GhostlyAbode Wed 26-Apr-17 20:42:46

Please help! We have £2000 to spend on a Holiday abroad. We usually are campers in the UK!

It's for me, DH and DD age 13. We are going in August. I'm not brilliant in the heat. DD and DH are quite active, I'm happy to pootle. None of us are great sightseers / museum people.

DD as an only child needs some things that will grab her attention. DH desperate not to camp and happy to drive if that keeps the cost down.

Where should we go / what type of holiday?

SwedishEdith Wed 26-Apr-17 20:47:36

How long for? I'd stick to the top half of France or Germany. I'd head for north western or western France. Self-catering.

SallyGinnamon Wed 26-Apr-17 20:57:49

Cottage in the Loire valley?

We went a few years ago. You can look round castles and chateaux, canoe, cycle, look round French markets. Lots of things.

leccybill Wed 26-Apr-17 21:01:46

Go to Greece. It's just gorgeous, and hot, and chilled, and oh the food.
Somewhere family friendly like Tsilivi in Zante or Hersonnisos in Crete.
If you look on Jet2, there's a fair few free child places left. They do good deals where entry to waterparks are included.

Hassled Wed 26-Apr-17 21:07:28

August in Greece will be hotter than the sun though, and the OP says she isn't brilliant in the heat. If it were me, I'd try Sweden - have never been but it looks beautiful and lots of scope for activity stuff.

HemanOrSheRa Wed 26-Apr-17 21:08:38

I second Greece and Tsilivi. It is lovely. Just enough for your DD to do without being too over the top. It will be hot though (for you) but anywhere in the Mediterranean will be at that time of year. But there are plenty of shady beach bars, shades on the beach and if you get air conditioning in your accommodation you'll be fine. The food is amazing and the people are wonderful. Love it in Greece smile.

SwedishEdith Wed 26-Apr-17 21:11:20

Won't Sweden be dead expensive though? £2000 isn't that much if needs to include getting there and, maybe, car hire.

Hassled Wed 26-Apr-17 21:14:32

That's a good point - Sweden probably isn't cheap. But you should be the expert, Edith grin
Salzburg? Vienna? Or do you want a beach? By quite active, do you mean they want to try jet-skiing, or just a hearty walk somewhere pretty?

C0untDucku1a Wed 26-Apr-17 21:16:06

Belgium?

HemanOrSheRa Wed 26-Apr-17 21:18:45

How about Majorca? We are going there for the first time this year. I was tempted by this lovely thread smile. www.mumsnet.com/Talk/shorthaul/2688735-I-have-fallen-in-love-with-Mallorca

SwedishEdith Wed 26-Apr-17 21:21:01

I wish Hassled grin.

More clues please OP.

Longdistance Wed 26-Apr-17 21:30:44

Cyprus?

leccybill Wed 26-Apr-17 21:32:49

I forget sometimes about how hot it is because we've always holidayed in the Med in August. It was 44° in Turkey one year!
Yes it's hot, but you're only 10 seconds walk from a pool/ice cream/air con usually. I love the sun though, I look forward to my blistering hot fortnight all year round.

HemanOrSheRa Wed 26-Apr-17 21:42:40

Weirdly, we stayed on mainland Greece last August. I was worried as I thought it would even hotter than the islands but it was a lovely temperature with a nice breeze. I don't know if it was cooler generally though.

GhostlyAbode Wed 26-Apr-17 21:50:09

Wow thank you.

Has to be £2000 for the majority of costs.

By active - they like doing things. Are into sea kayaking at the moment. Like to go to scary theme parks. DD not so good on walking for the sake of it. So active via activities. And happy with physical activities like horseriding, sailing.

Not sure what else to say. Would like people around rather than say isolated cottage.

WritingHome Wed 26-Apr-17 21:57:14

I would recommend Majorca in that case. It is a fab island and if you rent a car there is loads to see and do and explore. Spend a day in Palma - beautiful city. Stay away from Santa Ponsa and Magaluf and you'll be fine!

Your dd and dh will find plenty of water sports etc there to amuse them and you can have a wander / read etc

SwedishEdith Wed 26-Apr-17 21:58:59

I still think Brittany would work - can do sea kayaking! Dinard is lovely -
can fly there as well.

www.tripadvisor.co.uk/VacationRentalReview-g187099-d5527493-La_Malouinette-Dinard_Ille_et_Vilaine_Brittany.html

jenpetronus Thu 27-Apr-17 08:02:59

Loads of sea kayaking, and other water based activities down here in South Brittany as well. We have a gite but sadly no availability now for August. Maybe a campsite? Anywhere good will probably be booked up now for school hols. Happy to answer questions on the area if it looks of interest.

jenpetronus Thu 27-Apr-17 08:07:59

Sorry just re-read your original post saying DH not wild about camping. Scrap that then!

I know you don't want to camp OP but everything you've said you enjoy screams Eurocamp type holidays! Look at La Croix de Vieux pont or Chateau des Ormes, you could book a lodge instead of camp. If you can get cheap enough flights I'd look at Sanguli or Cambrils

Ooh just saw theme parks, definitely a campsite on Costa Dorada near Port Aventura! You can get lodges,chalets etc rather than camp but would be perfect for what you like

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now