Talk

Advanced search

Cheap but not tacky accommodation in Balearics/ Mallorca?

(12 Posts)
puglife15 Fri 21-Apr-17 23:32:36

Planning to go to Mallorca or Minorca next month but I am struggling to find accommodation I like the look of. We went pre kids and stayed in a lovely rural finca which was adults only in the middle of nowhere for less than £500.

Must haves are a pool suitable for young children, and no requirement for a car. Ideally it would also be near a beach, do good food all inclusive / half board or have self catering facilities, and have some activities for preschool age kids.

Any suggestions most welcome!

UrsulaPandress Fri 21-Apr-17 23:34:08

Puerto Pollensa used to be lovely.

puglife15 Sat 22-Apr-17 08:58:05

Is it not lovely any more?! wink

A few people have recommended it to me but I'm struggling to find accommodation there that's within my price range. I'll keep looking, thanks

OnyK Sat 22-Apr-17 14:06:35

We stayed here many years ago. Looks like it's been refurbished since we stayed and has decent reviews.
Blancala apartments
Cala Blanca was a small resort (not sure if it still is) with nice beaches and a small water park nearby, It was also easy to catch the local bus for day trips.

OnyK Sat 22-Apr-17 14:08:38

You can book directly too: www.apartamentosmenorca.com/EN/home.html

UrsulaPandress Sat 22-Apr-17 15:56:26

I'm sure it is still lovely. I meant it's a long time since I went. Sorry!

BarbaraofSeville Thu 27-Apr-17 09:07:55

If you're on a budget Puerto Pollensa and a lot of Mallorca in general is expensive for eating out etc. Menorca is child friendly and may be cheaper (I have no idea).

If you haven't already got the flights, a package may be cheaper than booking separately. Try jet2holidays or easyjetholidays etc.

Makemineacabsauv Thu 27-Apr-17 23:19:33

We stayed at Club Martha -SC apartment but it does HB and AI - I'd recommend AC as eating out is cheap in local fantastic restaurants! It's in Cala Egis bear Cala d'or and you can walk through the marina to Cala d'or or get the tourist train. Local resort was great and beach was lovely even if it was a cove. U fortunate name though cala d'en pou so 8 year old ds had to call it pooh beach.,. It was very clean!
Then we went to Puerto pollensa and it was about 3 times the price everywhere to eat out and not as nice. Felt really let down after all the positive comments on here. Found it pretentious rather than welcoming like Cala egos! We wouldn't go back to PP I'm afraid. The Pune walk was nothing g special and neither was the beach!

BarbaraofSeville Fri 28-Apr-17 07:12:36

Fist pumps makemine.

I also don't like Puerto Pollensa and thought the beach was a bit crap, even though we did find a bar on the Pine Walk with a gin menu, so perhaps that's the appeal to a lot of Mumsnetter?

I think next time we go to Mallorca we're going to stay in or near Cala D'Or or Cala Egos and have heard good things about Club Marthas from others on here and elsewhere so that's on the list of where to stay.

TheFairyCaravan Fri 28-Apr-17 07:20:22

Have a look at the Cala D'or Playa apartments in Cala D'or Mallorca. They're with Thomson I think.

We took our kids there 4 times when they were younger. You can go SC or half board. We did SC, there's a supermarket just a two minute walk up the street with a bakery for fresh bread. We'd do breakfast and lunch in the apartment and eat out at night.

There's 2 beaches close by, very safe, with shallow water. The hotel has a good sized pool and a splash park. It's great for kids.

tovelitime Sat 29-Apr-17 19:12:20

I just adore Puerto Pollensa, pine walk is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been and the calm sea where you can walk for miles is perfect for little ones. The surrounding area is also wonderful. We have travelled around the whole of the island and it's the one place that when we are away we think that it can't be that great and we go back and remind ourselves that actually, yes it is! Other nice areas are Illetas, andratx, soller, port portals but not cheap

puglife15 Sun 30-Apr-17 20:04:02

Thanks everyone. Will check out your recommendations.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now