Talk

Advanced search

Short break with DH July - no kids

(17 Posts)
GrumpyOldBag Thu 20-Apr-17 13:25:15

DH & i want to go away for a few days mid-July as the DC are off on their own trips then.

Somewhere not too hot, with interesting things to see and do.

DH wants to go abroad, although I'd be happy to stay in UK ...

Any suggestions please?

GrumpyOldBag Fri 21-Apr-17 17:59:47

No ideas ???

Birdsgottaf1y Fri 21-Apr-17 18:59:07

What do you want to see?

I loved Poland, but it can somber the mood.

You've got the usual, Florence, Rome, Barcelona etc.

Gibraltar is on my to do list.

I liked Edinburgh and York. You'll have to narrow down what you want to do and your budget.

GrumpyOldBag Fri 21-Apr-17 19:11:58

well i want inspiration about what to see! Like culture - mediaeval streets, churches, museums, also beautiful countryside.

Done Barcelona, Florence and Rome.

Poland is an interesting idea, where did you go?

Budget probably up to £200 a night for a nice place.

3nationsfamily Fri 21-Apr-17 19:14:02

Have a look at Bruges, very historic and pretty with lots to do and see but manageable in a weekend.

Birdsgottaf1y Fri 21-Apr-17 19:16:48

Krakow, it's really cheap for what you get.

My DD wants to gotoTransylvania.

Oohhaveabanana Fri 21-Apr-17 19:24:01

Budapest is beautiful.

antimatter Fri 21-Apr-17 19:56:59

Poland as in mid July could be nice, fly to Krakow and visit Ojcowski Park Narodowy on a day trip, it is smallest National Park in Poland and just under one hour from city center

I couldn't find anything in English but this will give you good idea how it looks:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1YwSI-nzro

If you are in Krakow make sure you visit Wieliczka, an ancient salt mine. There are guided tours in English
www.wieliczka-saltmine.com/

PM me if you want more details, If anyone is interested I could find you good places to eat or caffes. There are many elegant and decadent places in the city.

Good point about Krakow is that you can walk everywhere and most of the City center is pedestrianized.
You can Visit Museum of Czartoryskich to see the Leonardo da Vinci's Lady with an Ermine.
There's also Kazimiesz - old Jewish quarter, there are lots of bars and smal cafes there, is very trendy, in some there's live music. If you are interested there's museum of Shindler's factory www.krakow-info.com/schindler.htm

here's lovely place for coffee for coffee go to jamamichalika.pl/en/

Here are fef suggestions where to go for a walk or take nice photos from
www.ephotozine.com/article/krakow-photography-ideas-and-suggestions-19166

GrumpyOldBag Fri 21-Apr-17 20:00:31

Thanks - did Bruges last summer and agree it's gorgeous.

Going to take a closer look at Budapest and Krakow. DH is worried the food won't be good.

NotSoHankyPanky Fri 21-Apr-17 20:10:54

Slovenia is lively at that time of the year, lake Bled and Ljubljana for a bit of culture.
Copenhagen would be an option too.

CottonSock Fri 21-Apr-17 20:14:20

Kracow is lovely but was very hot when I went. I have a habit of following heat waves but I think it hit 45 degrees c. Hotest place I've ever been and ive lived in Africa. Pavements were melting

Oohhaveabanana Fri 21-Apr-17 21:02:00

We recently went to Budapest. Loads of great things to visit- river is beautiful, castle district in Buda, Buda hills, children's railway, st Stephens basilica, royal palace, thermal baths, parliament etc. Food is good. Some very good street food too. The ruin bars are also great for a beer. Would definitely recommend it.

antimatter Sat 22-Apr-17 15:29:52

Food in restaurants in Krakow is really good. I am sure same goes for Budapest

WritingHome Sat 22-Apr-17 17:15:35

We have been to Prague, Budapest, Berlin and Krakow in the past 2 years. I enjoyed Berlin the least, though I still enjoyed it.

There is SO much history in these cities and we found food and drinks excellent in each of them.

I also love Venice, Florence, Rome, Nice, and Barcelona. Palma is also a beautiful city to wander around

MiniMaxi Sat 22-Apr-17 17:16:57

Dubrovnik! Might be quite hot but it's a fantastic city and only a couple of hours flying time

MiniMaxi Sat 22-Apr-17 17:19:07

Or... A random selection of places I like:

Amsterdam
La Rochelle
Copenhagen
Porto
Lisbon

antimatter Sat 22-Apr-17 18:29:41

Toledo would be great for 3-4 days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now