Talk

Advanced search

Porto for 3 nights or 5 nights?

(7 Posts)
sadandanxious Wed 19-Apr-17 14:48:36

I'm looking at booking a short trip away to surprise DP who's always wanted to go to Porto. I can't decide whether to book for 3 nights or 5 nights? 3 nights with the flights means we only really get 2 and a half full days - is that enough? I'm not sure I want to spend the extra on the hotel for a further 2 nights but at the same time I want to make sure we have enough time to get around and see things. Any thoughts?

2014newme Wed 19-Apr-17 14:50:39

Just got back yesterday, we did 5 nights. You could do fewer and have a night in the Douro region or Lisbon.

sadandanxious Wed 19-Apr-17 14:58:22

Would you recommend the 5 nights? How far away is Douro or Lisbon?

2014newme Wed 19-Apr-17 15:01:49

Lisbon is three hours on the train. I'm not sure about Douro.
Yes five nights was great felt like a real holiday. We had kids with us.

sadandanxious Wed 19-Apr-17 16:36:58

Looking into it, it looks like the flight back is double the price from Lisbon which then adds quite a lot onto the cost of the holiday.

We've also got a fortnight booked away in the summer so I still can't decide on number of nights because the fortnight holiday will cost quite a bit too.

tumpymummy Thu 27-Apr-17 09:43:00

When we went at Feb half term we had 4 nights there and we found enough to do. It's a great city for wondering around and just hanging out at cafes. Not too expensive either. We would have liked to have visited towns near Porto too (trains are cheap) but we ran out of time. Plus there are beaches nearby if weather is good. If you can afford it I don't think you will struggle to find stuff to do if u stay longer. Make sure you do a tour of the port cellars.

sadandanxious Sat 29-Apr-17 12:09:12

Thanks tumpy I've decided to book for the 5 days smile looking more into I'm glad we're going for the extra 2 days as there looks like there is a lot we can do. It'd be nice to take the train further up the Douro Valley one day as it looks lovely and reasonably close.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now