Talk

Advanced search

How to get a last minute bargain?

(11 Posts)
Jellylorum Mon 17-Apr-17 14:09:04

We have three children under 5 and are hoping to get away for a sunny week in the early summer. I'm tempted to book cheap flights e.g. to Palma and then search for a place to stay, but DH thinks a package holiday would be easier. Has anyone had any luck with holding out till a couple of weeks before and then getting a bargain? How do you find the best deals?

rainbowthunder Mon 17-Apr-17 17:43:41

We sometimes book flights early then wait until the week before the holiday to find cheap accommodation and get some great deals. If you are outside the school holidays you should be able to get a good deal on accommodation - go to sites like ownerdirect etc where owners list their villas/apartments - near the time they will often give you a good price if they think it will go empty. It works best if you are outside peak times and in areas with lots of accommodation. It can backfire in peak periods though.

dailystuck71 Mon 17-Apr-17 19:12:45

I think late deals will be hard this year as so many people won't fly to turkey, parts of Greece and sharm. I've found Spain to be more expensive this year sadly.

Jellylorum Mon 17-Apr-17 19:46:02

Thanks for the replies. We are outside school holiday time so I'm tempted to book the flights now and just see what we can get for accommodation as you suggest. Interesting about Spain being more expensive though, hadn't thought of that.

BarbaraofSeville Tue 18-Apr-17 08:35:24

Last year we booked to Mallorca for a long weekend at the end of June, less than a week in advance but did it separately - the flights and accomodation were averagely priced, not bargain basement and not expensive (£120 each for flights return with no luggage and £70 pn B&B in what turned out to be a very nice 3 star hotel).

I suppose one challenge for you will be finding accomodation suitable for a family of 5 - I assume you would want a 2/3 bedroom apartment/villa?

You probably will be able to find something in one of the popular resorts which have capacity for the summer (Palma Nova, Cala Dor, Alcudia or Santa Ponsa) but then again, all the families with pre-schoolers and child free adults that would normally go to Turkey/Egypt etc might be looking there instead too - as a childfree couple we aim to holiday in June and/or September each year.

But I wouldn't book the flights without booking the accomodation - too risky. What if nothing is available or you get the changeover date wrong? I'd either book it all now or hold out and wait.

Jellylorum Tue 18-Apr-17 13:39:41

Yes good point about changeover days for accommodation. We're needing something with at least two bedrooms as you say - so many of the places geared towards families just have the one bedroom! I'm keeping my eye out. Someone told me about holiday pirates which seem to list some good deals.

3girlsunder3 Thu 20-Apr-17 14:14:25

As a fellow family of 5, I agree that finding suitable accommodation is the biggest limiting factor sadly. There isn't much out there and the majority of package stuff is geared towards families of 4 max. Personally I'd suggest looking now for accommodation too

Makemineacabsauv Thu 27-Apr-17 23:28:26

What about a Eurocamp style holiday? We did loads when my dc weee young and weod go end Aug/beg Sept. you could get cheap flights to Venice, mainland Spain, south of France and book a 3 bedroom mobile home. Kids get the space to run about outside and play, there will be pools, beach, activities etc and you can BBQ, eat out, takeaway or cook yourselves. Fab holidays! Our favourite was Portofelice just north of Venice and my dc at 5&6 lived it so much that 9 years on they still want to go back! You don't need car hire for that site nor another one in Argeles in southern France near the Pyrenees but the name escapes me - Bois de ... something maybe? Sorry!

Makemineacabsauv Thu 27-Apr-17 23:30:20

Thank you google! Le Bois de val Marie! Most scenic pool ever! It is hilly but views are fab and you can walk into marina area with loads of restaurants etc!

Jellylorum Fri 28-Apr-17 10:22:52

Yes that's a good idea and I love the look of the one one French border!

Pinkypierainbowdash Fri 28-Apr-17 20:48:58

Best way iv found is book today to go 2moz or book this week to go next week.
Go on. on the beach.com then select deal finder. Put number of guests and select this month then order by lowest price

You will be shown all the holidays that suit your size family plus kids go free .lots available as nearly everywhere has rooms to sell last minuet so theu go cheap rather than empty .

Last years bargain was family of 5 to spain AIl inclusive for £679 +23 airport parking +25 petrol cost to airport and we spent £2000 euro ( i went bit mad in mango as my office was changing to bussiness dress daily plus kids mango is dangerous blush4wink
I booked on the friday we went on the monday it was for 6 nights.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now