Talk

Advanced search

What to see in Vienna next week?

(10 Posts)
Helenluvsrob Fri 14-Apr-17 22:32:58

Going to Vienna next week. Staying near schoënburn so that's a must. What else must we see/do/eat? Especially like unusual/ quirky stuff.

Also anything to avoid -not terribly keen on huge queues and crowds.

Thanks

ShanghaiDiva Sat 15-Apr-17 13:31:31

Hundertwasser buildings are quirky and I love the Upper Belvedere which houses the Kiss by Klimt and several landscapes including some from Attersee in Upper Austria. I love them as I used to live across the road from Klimt's holiday home.

LIZS Sat 15-Apr-17 13:54:22

Watch your wallet, dh got pickpocketed en route to the Schoenbrunn. There is an apfelstruedel demo with samples there. If you like schitzel try a branch of Figlmueller ( book to jump queue).Haas und Haas behind the Stephansdom is good for tea/coffee and cake or lunch.

Helenluvsrob Sat 15-Apr-17 17:47:44

Thanks both. Will watch pockets .ive got a bag for unde my coat and it looks like it's going to be cold ! Dh has a concert in the stephansdom so haas und haas definitely on the schedule.

Can't find a classical concert to go to that isn't pops for tourists sadly though may try standing tickets at the opera. Mind you a Verdi opera with surtitles in German might not be as helpful S it could be 😂

andantecantabile Sat 15-Apr-17 17:56:11

Have you been to the Haus Der Musik? Very interesting, a quirky mix of music and science.

LIZS Sat 15-Apr-17 22:46:00

Try the Volksoper, German with English surtitles although they do ad lib !

Hulder Mon 17-Apr-17 12:31:24

Music that isn't for tourists:

Volksoper, pick an operetta. Most Viennese thing ever.
If you are there on a Sunday then Vienna Boys Choir singing mass at the Hofkapelle - get there early for standing.
Proper concert at the Musikverein (where the New Years Day concert is held) - might be sold out.

Don't think the Staatsoper does surtitles so not sure what you would get standing. If you have seats then you get individual surtitles on the back of the chair in front.

Food - eat cake at Demel, we love Esterhazy torte. Hotel Sacher and Sachertorte is nice but a massively more touristy affair. Have Kaiserscharrn somewhere. Possibly it will be Spargel season and everwhere will have asparagus on the menu. Pick out different cafes for coffee and have their specialty cake - go to Cafe Hawelka late at night for the buchteln.
Go out to eat at a heurige and drink lots of wine.

Quirky - all the churches that store various body parts of the emperors - hearts in one place, organs in another, bodies in another. V odd, all do tours of the crypts.

Otherwise don't really remember huge queues anywhere. There is more art than you can possibly want to see. Belvedere for the Klimt, Kunsthistorisches museum for well everything and a gorgeous building.

If you don't like horses already don't see the Spanish Riding School. Riders think it's amazing, non riders tend to find it like watching paint dry.

TuddlesAndSisses Mon 17-Apr-17 12:32:47

The opera toilet!

Chaotica Mon 17-Apr-17 12:37:16

The Schiele Museum --- far more interesting than I thought it would be. There are other museums in the area too which I didn't get the chance to go to, including a children's one if you're there with DC.

Iamastonished Wed 19-Apr-17 07:28:53

I have to agree with Hulderabout the Spanish Riding School. We queued for ages and were very underwhelmed. Another couple we got talking to raved about it, and when we told them that we hadn't found it very interesting we were told that we clearly knew nothing about horses because the boring moves we saw were in fact very skilled.

We will never get those few hours back.

I loved Vienna. The centre is quite compact and you can walk everywhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now