Talk

Advanced search

Where can we go at the end of August that best matches these requests?

(14 Posts)
QuackDuckQuack Fri 14-Apr-17 19:12:38

We'd like to go for a week or 10 days at the end of August. We have 2 DDs (2 and 6). We aren't great with very high temperatures - so about 28 degrees. Our DDs like swimming. DH would like mountains, so somewhere in the Alps with a pool would be good, but could be anywhere in Europe and we could live without mountains. If we are going somewhere with kids activities it needs to have English speakers running it, otherwise I'm certain our DDs would refuse to go. If we fly somewhere we'd prefer to be able to travel about by public transport rather than hire a car. Alternatively we could drive, but probably don't want to drive more than a few hours from a ferry/channel tunnel. We've been to Wengen in the summer before we had children and I think that would be great but DH would prefer to try so where different and Switzerland was expensive before the pound tanked, so probably not Switzerland. Any ideas please?

Stokey Sat 15-Apr-17 12:02:24

Italian lakes? You can fly to Milan, then get a train to Lake Como, then get around by ferry. Lots of small lake beaches and lovely scenery. We rented an apartment with a shared pool for a week, but you could equally move from place to place or stay in hotels. I think Lake Garda is a bit more family orientated, lots of big campsites with water parks and kids activities of you like that.

Justmuddlingalong Sat 15-Apr-17 12:04:22

Slovenia, Lake Bled area?

yetanotherdeskmove Sat 15-Apr-17 13:14:26

Annecy?

yetanotherdeskmove Sat 15-Apr-17 13:14:55

Or the Jura? Not too much of a drive from Calais.

AuntieStella Sat 15-Apr-17 13:21:04

I was thinking that the Jungfrau region would be a good possibility!

But as you've ruled it out - how about the Channel Islands? Warmer than mainland UK, everything in English, lots of lovely beaches and other things to do/see.

You can fly then get around by bus/taxi, or take car over on the ferry if you go to the bigger islands (which might be a better choice if you want lots of things to do, rather than off the beaten track tranquility)

mycavitiesareempty Sat 15-Apr-17 13:35:18

I'd sack off anywhere in the mountains or Jersey if sun is important to you. I've been in swiss mountains at that time of year and it was a dank 7 deg c at town level.

I'd recommend northern spain. We stay at Sandaya Cypsela campsite in a mob home, english speaking kids club, loads of nearby activities and doable by bus if not very straightforward.

LIZS Sat 15-Apr-17 13:38:47

Lake Garda . There is a hotel/sc resort in Peschiera which has kids activities , near the lake and was on Esprit's programme, although you can book direct or via other operators. Easy transfer from Verona.

rainbowthunder Sun 16-Apr-17 07:13:59

Vendee region of France is perfect for the weather - it's much more reliable than UK or Brittany, very little rain in the summer and temperatures mid to high 20's. There are lots of holiday parks with activities, swimming, etc. If you are interested in this area I can recommend some places.

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Sun 16-Apr-17 08:08:38

I would second Slovenia: we went last summer, stayed in the Julian Alps, and the temperature was perfect for your requirements! Beautiful walking in the mountains. If you stay by Lake Bled, there's a lovely lido so safe swimming in the lake itself.

I would recommend a car, though - it's a small country with lots to see and driving there is very straightforward as the roads are really well maintained.

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Sun 16-Apr-17 08:09:46

We chose Slovenia initially as we couldn't afford Swiss or Italian lakes/mountains holiday - best decision ever!

LadyPenelopeCantDance Sun 16-Apr-17 08:21:54

South of France has the beautiful Verdon Gorge. Beautiful scenery, warm water for swimming, pedalos for hire and lots of cheap holiday park accommodation.

You would have to hire a car to get around. It's an hour and a half drive from the coast. Would suggest starting in Nice, Cannes or Monaco for a few days at the start before heading in to the countryside.

UrsulaPandress Sun 16-Apr-17 08:34:41

I was going to say Interlaken but see you have ruled out Switzerland.

Bloody beautiful place.

QuackDuckQuack Sun 16-Apr-17 08:37:01

Lots of great ideas - you may keep me in holiday destinations for years. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now