Talk

Advanced search

Holiday ideas: Beach for me & culture for DH, cheap as chips?!

(37 Posts)
RedandWhiteStripe Fri 14-Apr-17 09:50:21

I would be happy to read books on the beach for a week in the sun; DH likes nothing more than scarpering around sights and ruins!

We are looking for somewhere with a bit of both, self-catering, for a week, bargain basement cheap though grin. If we can fly from Birmingham even better.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

taytopotato Fri 14-Apr-17 09:51:53

Santorini? Im not sure if it is cheap as chips though

ememem84 Fri 14-Apr-17 09:52:24

I was in Israel this time last year for work. Jerusalem and then tel aviv.

Beach in tel aviv was lovely. Jerusalem is full of culture. Fairly cheap once there.

ThisNight Fri 14-Apr-17 09:53:39

Barcelona? St Ives?

Hobbes8 Fri 14-Apr-17 09:56:04

Sitges is nice. 30-ish minutes from Barcelona by train. Nice beach and a bit of sight seeing locally and then hop on the train for all the Gaudi you can take.

RedandWhiteStripe Fri 14-Apr-17 10:11:26

Spain is a good idea, will look into Sitges/Barcelona, thank you!

Santorini I shall also investigate! grin

Is Israel safe? I've just read the FCO advice and it sounds like they're advising against travel - it's a shame, so many amazing places in the world are now no-go areas sad

ememem84 Fri 14-Apr-17 10:18:44

Ah. I hadn't read the latest advice. I was meant to go again in May but my boss doesn't want to travel with me this time. I'm pregnant and he feels that it's be better if I stay in the office. It'll be hot, it'll be busy and dh won't be with me. I can see his reasoning. I wouldn't want to need medical treatment in a strange country with just my boss for company.

I felt safe safe safe last time I was there though. Airport security is tight as anything. Police on every corner. The general rule I suppose is you behave as the Israelis (especially the police with the guns) don't take any shit.

Jerusalem old town was amazing. Western wall the church of the holy sephulcre were incredible to visit. I'm not at all religious but felt unbelievably overwhelmed by it all.
food was good wine was great weather warm.

Eatingcheeseontoast Fri 14-Apr-17 10:22:47

Somewhere round the Black Sea or lake bled in Slovenia. It's not beach but it's like one.

WritingHome Fri 14-Apr-17 21:06:35

Porto? Lisbon?

SirNiallDementia Fri 14-Apr-17 21:16:17

Agree that Portugal fits the bill. Dead cheap, beach and city culture.

OnyK Sat 15-Apr-17 17:39:06

How about Palma, Mallorca?

RedandWhiteStripe Sun 16-Apr-17 16:47:18

Thank you for the suggestions; keep them coming! smileflowers

Sharptic Sun 16-Apr-17 16:53:24

I've never been, but Port Soller in Majorca seems to have lovely villages nearby to explore .

Scribblegirl Sun 16-Apr-17 16:56:25

Another vote for Barcelona. Gaudi, the gardens, las ramblas, plus a gorgeous beach and cheap flights. Lots of relatively affordable air b&b options in the centre if you're looking for a cheap option.

Scribblegirl Sun 16-Apr-17 16:57:18

Oh and fab sangria if that's your bag wink

Gallavich Sun 16-Apr-17 16:57:29

Essaouaira or agadir in morocco. Essaouaira is pretty and interesting with beaches, agadir has beaches with interesting and picturesque villages fairly close (taroudant, taghazout)

Gallavich Sun 16-Apr-17 16:58:06

Or tarragona in Spain, close to Barcelona for day trips, lovely beaches, old ruins and stuff

badhotfanny Sun 16-Apr-17 16:58:21

Albania?

GingerMcGrey Sun 16-Apr-17 17:10:20

Palma in Mallorca was lovely last year, just booked Valencia for August so hopefully a nice mixture of city break and beach/pool. Both cheapish flights from Birmingham.

Makemineacabsauv Sun 16-Apr-17 22:48:30

Crete? Plenty of ruins to scamper round there and loads of beaches for you.

Mamaka Sat 29-Apr-17 15:49:20

Israel is absolutely gorgeous, lots of culture and fairly nice beaches. We have been recently and there was security at every station and on most street corners, especially in Jerusalem. Never felt unsafe. Haifa was lovely too.

Teddy6767 Sat 29-Apr-17 15:54:43

The Greek Islands are steeped in history and ruins, and also have stunning beaches and beautiful weather. I'd recommend Crete for an island with tonnes of history (just avoid Malia and Stalis as they are the party resorts).

Code42 Sat 29-Apr-17 15:57:19

Bodrum? Easyjet fly there, and there's lovely beaches and lovely ruins.

eurochick Sat 29-Apr-17 16:00:37

Malta? The beaches are not the prettiest but there are plenty of them plus loads of ruins and history due to its "crossroads" location. Plus it's cheap.

MadameJosephine Sat 29-Apr-17 16:07:06

I can on to suggest Malta too. We are going for the third time this year

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now