Talk

Advanced search

Self catering holiday in a relaxing place to recover

(19 Posts)
Millieinanotherworld Sat 08-Apr-17 07:38:41

We are looking to go for a cheapish week away somewhere less than 4 hours away.

We think we would like self catering so it's a bit more relaxed than watching for meal times and fighting at the buffet.

We've had a tough few weeks so would like somewhere laid back, relaxed, picturesque. With a few bars & restaurants but not a party scene as such.

Prefrebably a pool & beach to spend days at.

Any ideas?

Thinking about May / June time.

wannabestressfree Sat 08-Apr-17 07:50:06

Greek island?

Millieinanotherworld Sat 08-Apr-17 09:53:34

Greek island is a goer - any idea which one? Only one I've been to us Faliraki about 20 years ago on a terrible cheap rowdy girls holiday!

wannabestressfree Sat 08-Apr-17 18:16:49

We have been to thassos a couple of times and it was very relaxing. Not masses to do but had a lovely time and came a job relaxed smile

SandrasAnnoyingFriend Sun 09-Apr-17 21:33:30

Bled. Fly to Ljubljana and it's about 40 mins out to the most beautiful lake, surrounded by mountains.

Iamastonished Mon 10-Apr-17 09:02:06

Arillas in Corfu. We liked it so much we went back the following year.
No nightclubs or karaoke, a handful of bars, and loads of lovely tavernas with excellent food. I would happily go back.

Trills Mon 10-Apr-17 09:04:34

Do you have children?

Are you sure that self-catering will be relaxing, and won't just be the same chores but with less-familiar tools?

LosingDory Mon 10-Apr-17 09:08:03

Rhodes is a shit hole imo don't pick that island! We went all over it and it's only nice feature was the beach at lindos. Majorca is popular on MN but I was in el arenal and it wasn't very nice so maybe somewhere on the east side of the island

FamilySpartan Mon 10-Apr-17 09:12:29

Sardinia.

Booboo27 Mon 10-Apr-17 09:14:03

Menorca is beautiful and only a 2 hour flight. Very chilled with stunning beaches and lots of lovely little restaurants and cafes scattered about the place. Not as busy as the neighbouring Majorca.
As for Greek islands, I've been to a lot of them and my favourite is probably Crete (stay away from the busy party resorts of Malia and Stalis though). the island of kefalonia is also beautiful and very quiet and chilled out. No party scene there.

Rainatnight Mon 10-Apr-17 09:16:36

Île de Ré - lovely island off the west coast of France. Exactly as you describe what you're looking for. Weather can be a bit variable in the Atlantic, though.

Iamastonished Mon 10-Apr-17 09:22:17

We liked Crete, and stayed in Sissi 3 years ago. It is very low key, which suits us.

Trills self catering for us involves very little self catering as we usually eat out. I don't like huge breakfasts anyway so it wouldn't be a big deal at breakfast time. Lunch would just be a sandwich, local bread, salad etc, and evening would be eating out.

LumelaMme Mon 10-Apr-17 09:22:25

Malta. Gozo, to be specific. Get a taxi transfer to island. Lots to see and do, but the pace is very gentle.

metalmum15 Tue 11-Apr-17 15:54:27

I second Menorca. Beautiful scenery and beaches, very quiet and relaxing and there's not really any resorts to avoid, all lovely. Lots of nice villas/apartments, and plenty of nice restaurants and mini supermarkets for self catering. We have been several times in June and the weather is perfect.

budgiegirl Tue 11-Apr-17 21:45:38

I second Menorca

I third it. It's lovely, very peaceful and relaxing. Fabulous beaches, and easy to drive round if you hire a car.

BellyDancer124 Thu 13-Apr-17 16:36:31

Lanzarote? Playa Blanca is my favourite. So relaxing, nice bars and good food. Enjoy wherever you end up smile

Ollycat Thu 13-Apr-17 16:37:56

Ibiza - not the party end - gorgeous!!

Makemineacabsauv Sun 16-Apr-17 23:15:14

Roda on Corfu sounds like what you are looking for! Or anywhere on Skiathos!

B19M Sun 16-Apr-17 23:20:05

Seconding Playa Blanca Lanzarote. It's really lovely

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now