Talk

Advanced search

Stay in Naples or Pompeii to visit Pompeii & Capri?

(46 Posts)
WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Fri 24-Mar-17 17:01:17

We have a couple of days free at the end of a break before flying out of Naples airport.

Arriving in the evening in Naples, we then have 3 nights/ 2 full days before a morning flight home.

We definitely want to visit Pompeii and are thinking of a day trip to Capri but can't decide whether to stay in Naples for the three nights and do two day trips or stay in Pompeii, do a day trip to Capri via Sorrento.

If we stay in Pompeii would need to set off early in the morning on day of flight.

Any suggestions? Travelling with DC.

sanitygirl Fri 24-Mar-17 17:03:58

Short answer - stay in Naples. Pompei is far from the port and boats to Capri

highinthesky Fri 24-Mar-17 17:05:27

My strong suggestion is that you get a bus from Napoli airport and stay in Sorrento. The Amalfi coast is amazing and everything is very accessible by public transport, it's also lovely at this time of the year. Orange and lemon groves beckon!

Under no, no, no circumstances set foot in Napoli, it's probably the grimmest place I have been in the western world. Your children do not need to be exposed to the delights of the city. I saw this as a hardened East Londoner.

Teladi Fri 24-Mar-17 17:05:29

Stay in Sorrento and go to Pompeii and Capri from there?

Wingingit88 Fri 24-Mar-17 17:07:21

Agree with the above!

Wingingit88 Fri 24-Mar-17 17:07:41

Agree with the above!

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Fri 24-Mar-17 17:46:10

Thanks everyone! We don't really want to go and stay in Sorrento - we'll arrive in Naples in the evening and don't fancy onward journey to Sorrento and it would mean an earlier start to get to Naples airport on the morning we head home.

mamapants Fri 24-Mar-17 17:50:25

I really liked naples. I'd stay there get the train to pompeii

SparklesandBangs Fri 24-Mar-17 17:50:32

DH has travelled the world to places I can't even pronounce but if asked he will always say Naples is the worst place ever.

QuitMoaning Fri 24-Mar-17 17:50:46

Sorrento is not that far and it is on the right side of Naples for the airport. You could probably stay in Naples (and it is grim as previous poster said) and take longer to get to the airport.
We have property down the Amalfi Coast, but much further than Sorrento and I can get to the airport in 90 minutes if I time the traffic correctly.
Does depend on which day and heading out of Naples on Friday night will easily quadruple journey time. My 90 minute journey is 6plus hours if I get timings wrong.
The area south of Naples is stunning.

Vinorosso74 Fri 24-Mar-17 17:50:54

I liked Naples! We stayed there for two nights/one day before heading on to Sorrento. There is a famous pizzeria Di Matteo which is worth a visit.
The driving is something else mind, we saw two men on a moped going down Spaccanapoli (narrow old street) the passenger holding a pane of glass.

Crumbs1 Fri 24-Mar-17 17:52:55

Definitely stay in Naples - beautiful, beautiful interiors beyond the graffitied doors. Amazing pizza. Circumvesuviana easy ride to Herculaneum and Pompeii.

frenchfancy Fri 24-Mar-17 17:55:47

Another Naples lover. I think it is a marmite city - you either love it or you hate it.

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Fri 24-Mar-17 17:56:00

We arrive in Naples by train mid week around 8.30pm and need to be at the airport in the morning by 8am. No car, would be using public transport.

Bobbybobbins Fri 24-Mar-17 17:56:17

I really liked Naples.

SarahMused Fri 24-Mar-17 17:56:32

We visited this area in March last year. We visited Pompeii and Herculaneum but didn't go to Capri. We stayed in Naples - it was fab. Absolutely loads to do and the best pizzas ever in Sorbillo's for a few euros. Very easy train journey to Pompeii and would thoroughly recommend - it is not grim, there was one area near to the railway station that I would avoid at night and the are pickpockets like every big city but amazing art and architecture around every corner, great street food and fab wine as well. I would imagine it would be pretty unbearable in the height of summer so avoid July and August.

IsithormonesoramIamadcow Fri 24-Mar-17 18:01:56

www.sitabus.it/en/circumvesuviana-timetables-and-rates/

This is the little railway that connects up Naples, Herculenium, Pompeii and Sorrento.

It might be worth checking out some of the smaller stops too. We stayed at Meta Sorrento - a gorgeous (if very quiet) little town and just used the train to potter about.

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Fri 24-Mar-17 18:03:49

We're going in July! No-one recommends staying in Pompeii then? smile

highinthesky Fri 24-Mar-17 18:05:01

Naples at night with DC? Good luck, you're going to need it as soon as you hit Garibaldi. Don't say you weren't warned.

The trains and buses are safe, use them. Sorrento is to Naples as Kew is to HMP Wormwood Scrubs. I kid you not.

highinthesky Fri 24-Mar-17 18:07:02

The only thing to do in Pompeii is visit the site. I was happy to spend 6 hours there but your kids might not be. It's well connected by train so stay somewhere else.

Bloggybollocks Fri 24-Mar-17 18:17:13

Urghhhh, Naples is awful but then so is sorrento, vile touristy place where the cruise ships dock, full of American tourists and fake 'authentic' Italian restaurants. I'd bypass both, stay in positano, bus from there takes you to sorrento then direct train to the gates of Pompeii, but in July?! Seriously?! It will be touching 40, there is NO shade there, it will be fucking miserable.

birdsdestiny Fri 24-Mar-17 18:22:52

We still talk about the afternoon we spent in Naples 15 years ago, awful.

Crumbs1 Fri 24-Mar-17 18:24:04

We had children with us in Naples. They were spoilt rotten in the restaurants. Trying to remember our hotel. I think it was called the Romeo or similar- ghastly name but good hotel with rooftop pool. We preferred Herculaneum to Pompeii but there was just so much to see and do.

sonyaya Fri 24-Mar-17 18:25:53

Naples is horrendous but I did have the best pizza of my life there so it was worth it!

ilovesooty Fri 24-Mar-17 18:27:59

I absolutely love Naples. I'd stay there and visit the other places.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now