Talk

Advanced search

Europe on a budget - to keep me and 3 teenagers happy!

(12 Posts)
myheadsamess Sun 19-Mar-17 08:40:57

Had a bit of a crap year and would love to "reward" the kids with some sunshine & relaxation. Main problem is budget, really needs to be under £1k all in. I usually book flights and accommodation separately but no longer sure if this is still the most economical way? Ideally flights from Scotland but happy to go to East Midlands etc if much cheaper.

DD1 is 17 wants a beach and sunshine
DS1 is 14 and wants sunshine and culture
DD2 is 13 and wants to go skiing grin

Not sure I can keep them all happy!!! We've spent days looking at stuff - Barcelona, Italy, Copenhagen, Tenerife etc, even London (as warmer than Scotland lol). Am slowly losing the will to live!

BrieAndChilli Sun 19-Mar-17 08:46:17

We are doing eurocamp in south of France. 1st week of June. Flights with easy jet were £400 for 5 of us and eurocamp was £230. We are then hiring a car but while holiday will be about £1000 not including spending money

shirleycartersaidso Sun 19-Mar-17 08:50:47

I'd go for Barcelona. Can you try and find somewhere on air bnb and price it up see what would be left for flights? I don't think £1000 will go that far unfortunately in school holidays.

wobblywonderwoman Sun 19-Mar-17 08:52:26

What about going to Porto and then travelling by train to Northern Spain

eurochick Sun 19-Mar-17 08:53:24

I think camping is going to be the only realistic option on that budget.

myheadsamess Sun 19-Mar-17 09:19:43

I hadn't thought of air bnb- will have a look now. I do hate camping blushbut my tastes don't reflect my pocket unfortunately!

BarbaraofSeville Sun 19-Mar-17 13:14:03

If the weather is warm/dry and you get a big tent with proper-ish beds a la Eurocamp, it's not miserable camping though. Pick a site with pools and other activities and you can relax while the DCs are entertained.

Northern Spain (fly to Girona) somewhere like Cala Llevado, near Tossa de Mar, or Estatit would be good and you can get trips to Barcelona, or the Roman Ruins at Empuries, or there's a castle at Tossa if that's culturally interesting? Also beach obviously, but ski-ing would be difficult, Andorra is accessible, but not at the same time of year as a beach holiday!

ethelb Sun 19-Mar-17 16:08:06

Air bnb in Barcelona.

Can you try skiing in Scotland this winter as a compromise with the youngest?

myheadsamess Mon 20-Mar-17 00:19:34

Brie & Barbara - thank you have just booked eurocamp!! TBH I probably wouldn't have thought of it and presumed the kids wouldn't fancy it but they are so excited 😊

Flying from Edinburgh, 10 days £1150 so pretty close to budget. Am still slightly nervous and looks like I'll need to drive once there which I've never done before.

NotJanine Sat 25-Mar-17 14:18:39

Your needs and budget are similar to mine. Can I ask what euro camp you booked?

myheadsamess Sun 26-Mar-17 22:56:01

Hi janine, it's this campsite http://www.la-croix-du-vieux-pont.com/en/onsite-services/organised-trips/ which as far as I can work out has eurocamp and canvas tents/mobile homes/lodges. I actually booked via canvas as cheaper and better reviews. Flying easyjet from Edinburgh to Charles de Gaulle. Good luck!

Headfullofdreams Fri 07-Apr-17 17:53:30

My head, we've been there, it was great. We went to Disney for a day and got the train into Paris too. Fab holiday. Enjoy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now