Talk

Advanced search

Where to stay in Normandy at end of July?

(6 Posts)
Titsywoo Tue 07-Mar-17 21:00:13

DH wants to see all the WW2 stuff and we want to do some kid friendly things too (12 and 10 year old). Would prefer a hotel or resort type accommodation ideally. It's only for 5 nights. Must have good wifi or DH and DS will spontaneously combust grin.

Any ideas? I have no idea what area to look at!

I8toys Tue 21-Mar-17 14:05:48

We stayed here last year and toured Normandy. Its great with a swimming pool. Large open spaces because of golf course. We had a family room overlooking the swimming pool which was a dormer so the kids were upstairs and we were down. It was great.

www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g644121-d287289-Reviews-Mercure_Hotel_Omaha_Beach-Port_en_Bessin_Huppain_Calvados_Basse_Normandie_Normandy.html

oldwife Tue 21-Mar-17 17:22:40

We took our teenagers to Normandy a few years ago - only stayed two nights as we were on the way down to the Charente area.

I based us in Bayeux. An interesting town in itself. We saw a few of the WW2 sites .

We stayed in the Campanile hotel. It's just on the outskirts of town - walkable in 5 minutes. I chose it due to it having a car park, and it was quite cheap. We had two rooms - one for the boys, one for us. (I can't even remember how long ago it wsa and age of DSs.. maybe 14 and 15?

Arromanches is worthy of a half day trip. The mulberry harbour is there- along with a very informative museum. We spent quite a while in there. Some nice restaurants for lunch too.

oldwife Tue 21-Mar-17 17:23:38

However the Campanile might not be great for 5 nights . Have you looked to see if there are any Bed and Breakfast type places in the area? That can work out nicely for a family group.

ProlificLurker Tue 21-Mar-17 17:30:02

Can't help with accommodation as we tend to aim for eurocamp etc, but I just wanted to second Bayeux. Teen DC enjoyed Bayeux tapestry.

For WW2 stuff, try and get to Pegasus Bridge. The museum there is great. They have tanks and gliders outside too. Really brings it home.

Hope you have a great time.

I8toys Tue 21-Mar-17 17:59:24

We did Bayeux but its a bugger to park.

Also did Pegasus Bridge, Omaha Beach, Airbourne Museum, Arromanches 360 cinema - very moving. The highlight for my two was Willy's Jeep tour - dutch guy took them around the sites in his old US jeep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now