Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone give tips on Iceland?

(16 Posts)
BerylStreep Mon 06-Mar-17 17:21:57

Me & DH are going to Iceland in April. We arrive in the evening, then have 2 full days, and a 1/2 day before we get out flight home again.

Can anyone give any good suggestions for places to go & stay? I'm not sure if visits to glaciers & thermal spas are worth it in the limited time we have - has anyone any experience?

Helbelle75 Mon 06-Mar-17 17:30:18

We went for 3 nights last year and had an amazing time. We stayed in Reykjavik and got excursions to places of interest.
We did the blue lagoon, whale watching trip, gull Foss, geysir, thingvellir national park and a northern lights tour. We also had a day in Reykjavik which was lovely.
We booked all of our excursions in advance, which worked really well.
I'm not usually into guided tours, but without them we wouldn't have seen as much.
Have fun - I loved it.

TobleroneBoo Mon 06-Mar-17 17:34:18

Definitely do the golden
Circle tour. If you haven't booked accommodation, look at Hotel Klettur - very central and has what you need in a hotel

BerylStreep Tue 07-Mar-17 17:04:00

Thank you..

I'll look at that hotel.

Hells, you did loads during your trip! Did you use one tour company for it all?

TobleroneBoo Tue 07-Mar-17 17:21:46

Sorry, trouncing in! Golden circle tour includes gullfoss, geysir, thingvellir park and a random tomato farm

We also did the south shore adventure which took us to the black sand beaches and a glacier lagoon which bloody auto correct will not let me type!

Re.is ( Reykjavik excursion) or grayline are the main operators and I have I say they are very good out there - will send a minibus to your hotel and take you to the bus depot to get on a coach

BerylStreep Tue 07-Mar-17 17:28:17

Ooh, thank you!

Helbelle75 Wed 08-Mar-17 13:50:54

We went with Reykjavik excursions - the ultimate iceland package it was called.

Ollycat Wed 15-Mar-17 22:37:17

We went last Feb - found a great house on Air BnB. Rent a car - roads are great - and do your own tour. I would stay out of Reykjavik as it's a bit of a hike from there to get to Golden Circle, Vik etc.

BerylStreep Wed 15-Mar-17 22:44:55

We've already booked an Air BnB in central Reykjavik - near the main shopping street.

Haven't booked a tour yet - don't know if I can be bothered to drive as we don't really have sufficient knowledge of where we are going, although I hate organised tours ...

Crumbs1 Wed 15-Mar-17 23:01:51

We hired apartment in main road (high street sort of place) in Reykjavik. We did four nights and it was amazing. We hired a car and did the excursions ourselves so we could go at our own pace and not be tied down. We did a day out to Pingvellar national park, onto geysers and north to Gullforce. Brilliant day, just fab. Take a flask and sandwiches with you as cafes are few and far between.
We did book onto snowmobiles on glacier which were huge fun - trying to get me onto a giant truck was very funny.
Blue lagoon was lovely- I thought it would be tacky but it wasn't at all and we saw the AB as we were driving back into town. Phenomenal.
We did a couple of public swimming pools too - cheap and swimming outdoors when it's -23 and blowing a blizzard was incredible.
Restaurants were very variable and a foodie might be disappointed but trying whale meat and elk was interesting. Hot dogs from the stand were our saviour sometimes.
Forget the penis museum - as so often in life, it fails to live up to expectations and is just gross blubbery lumps of tissue from assorted animals.

BerylStreep Thu 16-Mar-17 00:02:38

grin

KdeBass Thu 16-Mar-17 12:57:27

We are going in August, road trip in an RV so excited! Love all the tips I have taken notes. Will be able to add to this when we're back!

ThisisrealityGreg Thu 16-Mar-17 13:06:51

I'm planning a trip this time next year for DH's 40th. Is March/April a good time to go weather/northern lights wise?

doublesnap Thu 16-Mar-17 13:11:18

March, NL if you are very lucky, April even more unlikely.

CPtart Sat 01-Apr-17 16:51:45

Place marking. Just booked three nights to go in the New Year.

Lucycat Wed 05-Apr-17 21:37:54

My absolute favourite holiday destination- in fact if I could master ANY of the language then I'd love to live there. All of the places mentioned above are amazing- read some Icelandic fiction before you go too. Buy essentials at the Bonus supermarket in the middle of Reykjavik to save money as it's definitely not cheap!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now