Talk

Advanced search

City break with children

(13 Posts)
Ollycat Sun 05-Mar-17 08:44:56

Where would you go for a 2 or 3 night city break with children (12 and 14).

Looking for something over Eater hols - thinking of maybe Copenhagen...

Where would you go?

WritingHome Sun 05-Mar-17 11:47:14

We regularly take did with us on city breaks. She is 11 now and we have brought her to:
Venice
London
Paris
Berlin
Budapest
Palma
Verona

Further afield we have also spent time in Sydney, Brisbane, Bangkok and Toronto with her.

We are heading to Kraków in a couple of weeks and have Florence / Rome / barcelona / Prague in our sights for future trips

I would also love to visit Copenhagen, Stockholm, Vienna and Warsaw in the future

We research the trio well and roughly plan it out so we have some idea what we would like to do each day. That works far better for us when we have dd with us as otherwise hours can just drift away as we debate where to go and what to do.

We have never had any issues finding suitable things of interest for her to do and we try to do a mix of things we like and things she likes.

For instance when we go to Kraków we plan of visit the Schindler factory museum and the salt mines and the large indoor market and a number of cool cafes for cake and hot chocolate etc and she is interested in all of these things at this age

Have fun - city breaks are my favourite type of getaway !!

Ollycat Sun 05-Mar-17 14:06:39

Thanks for your suggestions they're great. We're lucky that we've had the opportunity to visit many amazing places but it's always good to see other people's lists - hadn't considered Krakow before but that looks really interesting. Florence, Rome, Barcelona and Prague are all great fun - you'll have great fun in all of them. Also highly recommend Reykjavik- Iceland is the only Scandinavian country we've visited and it was amazing which made me think of Copenhagen. We're also going to Split soon so was after a contrast.

WritingHome Sun 05-Mar-17 14:18:08

Thanks ollycat dh and I have been to Florence, Rome , Barcelona and Prague but dd was not with us (some trips before she was born and some just me and dh) but they are all places we plan to bring her.

My parents were in Iceland a couple of years ago and loved it. I'd like to go there. I haven' t visited any Northern European countries and they are very much on my (very Long!!) list...

Please let us know where you decide to go in the end. I love hearing about other peoples trips!

TheSnorkMaidenReturns Sun 05-Mar-17 14:21:55

Copenhagen is great with kids - go for it!

IadoreEfteling Sun 05-Mar-17 21:58:10

Writer - WOW your extremely lucky dd!

Op I have not been to Copenhagen but it seems like a very now - fashionable place to visit, have done some research and it looks lovely. There is also the oldest theme park in Europe ( world?) called Tivoli Gardens right in the center which is supposed to be beautiful. www.tivoli.dk/en/

it depends where you have been etc! But I would say it looks fab, otherwise in that sort of vein, Amsterdam, went recently and was super impressed with it - loved it.

HRHQueenMe Fri 10-Mar-17 17:33:48

I have just done OSLO and it was freaking brilliant with kids. Loads of city parks with loads of running around space. Childfriendly everywhere. The most gorgeous airbnb apartment. Concept restaurants withe brilliant waiters. We just had a ball. You cannot go wrong. There are trams. Buses. Underground. A toboggan run. An opera house you can climb for free. Public toilets that you can eat dinner off the floor. Just awesome. Go.

HRHQueenMe Fri 10-Mar-17 17:34:46

And if you have teens get them to watch SKAM online, its a teen series. Then they will be desperate. Desperate. Desperate to go to OSLO. They will do anything for you . Promise. Top Mum TIp.

Theworldisfullofidiots Fri 10-Mar-17 17:39:50

We did a travelling holiday at that age. Highlights were Amsterdam, hamburg and surprisingly ghent.

BoysRule Fri 10-Mar-17 17:42:54

We went to Lisbon and stayed in a lovely airbnb last year with DCs. 7 and 4. We had a great time.

HainaultViaNewburyPark Fri 10-Mar-17 17:49:25

My two (currently 11 & 12) love Copenhagen. We've been several times.

Other cities that have been a hit include Rotterdam, Antwerp, Strasbourg, Bordeaux, Munich and Zurich. On the other hand, they weren't keen on Brussels, Amsterdam, Geneva or Paris.

MrsPnut Fri 10-Mar-17 17:56:38

We did Madrid over easter last year and loved it, we had 10 year old DD with us. We did the walking tour on the first morning and the guide gave us loads of tips for places to eat and visit.

We've also done most of the Italian cities, Rome has been our favourite but we did feel ripped off most of the time and many other european capitals. We are planning Krakow for later this year and we had a quick jaunt to Malta for Feb half term which was really interesting.

Penfold007 Fri 10-Mar-17 18:11:38

London
Edinburgh
Dublin
Paris
Krakow
Prague
Amsterdam
Barcelona
Venice
Rome
Athens
In no particular order.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now