Talk

Advanced search

how hot will Naples and Rome be in August?

(36 Posts)
Whattodo47 Sat 25-Feb-17 15:06:40

Will it be unbearable?

Lalunya85 Sat 25-Feb-17 15:16:29

How do you define unbearable?

I doubt you'd be able to be very active during the daytime. August is the time for lying around on the beach or in the shade. The and eating nice food!

If you have a choice go a couple of months later. Though I'm sure it will be great any time of year!

We travel to a very hot (middle eastern) country in august most years, it goes up to 40 degrees some days. I still really enjoy going, but life is slow and you can't do any sightseeing. Beach is great though! And we have to small kids.

Lalunya85 Sat 25-Feb-17 15:21:41

*two

Wolpertinger Sat 25-Feb-17 16:18:47

I did Bologna in August. It was full on unbearable - 40 degrees everyday, dashing for shade, any shade and very long siesta before emerging once the sun had gone in.

I would guess Rome would be the same, with added pollution. Things like visiting the Forum, which I thought was one of the best bits of my trip to Rome, would be completely impossible.

Rome in later September was still hot, needing a water bottle at all times, but pleasant.

CaveMum Sat 25-Feb-17 16:21:10

We did Venice in mid-September one year and it was around 25 degrees, so warm but not unpleasant. I imagine August and further south will be much, much hotter.

carabos Sat 25-Feb-17 16:21:54

Hotter than the sun.

Wolpertinger Sat 25-Feb-17 16:25:29

I can confirm that Venice in August is the very definition of unpleasant.

Fizbo Sat 25-Feb-17 16:27:07

I did Rome in September a couple of years ago, it was very hot about 30 degrees. As long as you are prepared it's fine, we did a 3 hour guided tour of the Colosseum on a cloudy day which worked perfectly as that would have been unbearable as there is very little shade. As long as you have a hat and water it will be fine.

BertieBotts Sat 25-Feb-17 16:28:38

Try looking at historical temperatures here. www.accuweather.com/en/europe-weather

Or wikipedia usually has average temperatures listed.

Heratnumber7 Sat 25-Feb-17 16:29:38

I've done Rome in school summer hols. It was v v hot, but we walked round all day with the DDs, who would have been mid- teens at the time.
Just take it easy and take lots of water.

Hassled Sat 25-Feb-17 16:41:38

I was there last August and I think it reached 37C one day. So hot. Damned hot. That said, we still had a great time.

A1Sharon Sun 26-Feb-17 19:59:27

My friends did a cruise last summer, and they said Rome was unbearable. Their kids are nearly all secondary age, fit, good walkers etc. They had to head back to the boat as the youngest just couldn't take it.

MrsPMT Sun 26-Feb-17 20:03:49

Scorchio!

fruityb Sun 26-Feb-17 20:05:57

Fecking boiling in Rome in August - went at the end four years ago. Plenty of water and there's fountains you can refill from. I coped with it and I am a sweaty Betty! But lots of shade hopping was needed

RJnomore1 Sun 26-Feb-17 20:07:09

I've been in Sicily (over the water from Naples)and Rome in August.

I love the heat. They're both about 40 at that time of year. Light floaty trousers and cotton tops are your friends. Drink loads of water remember regular sun screen and don't expect to be walking fast. We walked miles and miles round Rome last year with no adverse effects. Lots of water and regular stops in the shade for wine coffee.

Imaginingdragonsagain Sun 26-Feb-17 20:07:17

We've done Rome in August twice and had a fab time. Not unbearable. You just need lots of water and ice cream!!

Shireslass Sun 26-Feb-17 20:09:36

We were there x2 years ago, boiling! But you make allowances, drink plenty, take your time. It definitely did not ruin our trip. Borghese gardens are a must visit for some shade and an ice cream.

ElspethFlashman Sun 26-Feb-17 20:11:20

Went to Rome in August several years back.

Hot as Satan's taint.

AND Italians take part of August off so all the shops are closed!

I almost passed out in St Peters - when you're sweating in a marble Basilica it's officially too damn hot. The street vendors would sell you plastic water bottles of ICE so you could drink cold water as ite melted.

Madness. Never again.

Whattodo47 Sun 26-Feb-17 20:12:33

Thanks all. My DS is six and doesn't like it too hot...yep, I know. Prob not quite the best place for him to holiday!

SirNiallDementia Sun 26-Feb-17 20:14:30

We went to a wedding in Rome in August, the heat was absolutely unbearable and as it was in an old palace there was no air con either.

We then headed off to the coast which was still boiling but perfectly manageable with the sea breeze and ability to wear a bikini!

EvilTwins Sun 26-Feb-17 20:15:00

We went to Rome in August 2015. I don't like the heat. I coped but I felt sick at some point each day (nice) However, it was worth it for the amazing sights.

I think if we'd gone for longer (we were there for a week) then I would have got used to it.

Big hat, lots of water. We stayed in a hotel near the Coliseum and were able to go back and have a lie down in an air conditioned room early afternoon. Out early, make use of evenings. It never really cooled down though.

yikesanotherbooboo Sun 26-Feb-17 20:15:21

Romans depart Rome in August for the coast . We stayed in Umbria in August which was hot but bearable with pool and siestas and having acclimatised we enjoyed Rime. It wasn't particularly busy and of course ice creams helped.
We have had the same experience in Naples although it is busier and thus a bit more stressful in the heat.... this is my experience ... absolutely loved both cities

Shamoffour Sun 26-Feb-17 20:16:51

My family is from Puglia and all the cities pretty much shut and everyone decamps to the coast (and Puglia) expect temperature of 40+

juneau Sun 26-Feb-17 20:18:26

Italy in August is boiling. We just had a long weekend in Rome with our kids over half term and it was lovely - 17 degrees and sunny every day - perfect for sightseeing. I recommend going in either Feb or Oct half-terms.

FourKidsNotCrazyYet Sun 26-Feb-17 20:19:58

I found it pretty unbearable last August. We did all the sights and walked miles. Nearly killed me confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now