Talk

Advanced search

Efteling 2017

(31 Posts)
YippieKayakOtherBuckets Tue 21-Feb-17 23:02:45

With great excitement, we've booked a short break in Efteling for May half term. We're taking 3 yo DD and staying in an apartment in Bosrijk.

I've trawled lots of MN threads whilst planning the trip but I thought it would be good to get all of the insider knowledge on one thread. Is anyone else going this year?

dailystuck71 Sat 25-Feb-17 08:06:34

Place marking!

Banderchang Sat 25-Feb-17 14:10:08

We went last year and loved it. Very jealous! We stayed in the hotel for 2 nights so I don't know how the village works. DS was 7 and his favourite part was the Ravelijn show so don't miss that. Favourite rides were Piranha, Droomvlucht and Flying Dutchman. We want to go back, it was fab!

Wolpertinger Sat 25-Feb-17 16:23:31

It's fabulous! Your DD will love the fairytale forest.

As two middle-aged people with no children, we also loved it, and Ravelijn grin

Get video of the dancing waterlilies. Also make sure your phone is fully charged before you go in as they really really want you to use the app and there are v few maps - ask for a paper one when you go in as well.

IAdoreEfteling Thu 02-Mar-17 16:27:38

I am going op, well done, your going to LOVE THIS PLACE. Its wonderful smile I have stayed in Borsick Twice and am going back this year and I never normally return anywhere, my heart felt at rest once it had been re booked grin. We are staying in Borsick again but also in Loonsche Land (new). We are going for a week, and visiting Amsterdam one day and The Hague and Delt another.

Is there anything in particular you want you know? Our youngest DD was 2 nearly 3 the first time, and 4 nearly 4 the last time and will be 4 nearly 5 this year AND I CANT WAIT. A new ride is opening up too which looks wonderful.

IadoreEfteling Sun 12-Mar-17 19:17:45

Bumping so it doesnt fall off.

Sejal1 Wed 15-Mar-17 13:11:46

So glad to find this thread! Single mum just booked trip for me, my parents and my 3 year old, but got bamboozled by website and only booked day tickets. Please advise: would you recommend staying in Amsterdam and just going through for the day? Or should I see if I can change my booking and get a hotel package stay? How easy is travel to and from the theme park? Detailed info greatly appreciated.

IadoreEfteling Fri 24-Mar-17 21:49:35

@sejal1 whats the main purpose of your stay?

Ie to see Amsterdam with something thrown in for little one?

Or - Efetling?

Personally I love Amsterdam as well so you could easily enjoy that, have day trip to E, find your feet there, then plan return trip and stay at E? I personally prefer The village Borsick (sp) o stay in over the hotel, the hotel is on the other side of the park, near the road and you have to cross a road to get into the park, where as Borsick is in a wood, all on site. Its not the distance, the hotel is seconds from the park its the atmosphere and feel of the wooded accommodation....

However if you had budget to stay in a suit in hotel I would consider that.

I stayed at park and not traveled to and from Amsterdam but from trip advisor it seems very easy, someone people have had very long trips via bus and train etc and said it was OK.

So, this time perhaps visit for the day - and check it out, next time stay in Loonsche or Borkisck.

Or do three nights in borsick, its family friendly I have seen whole families with grannies there etc.

NaturalBlondeYeahRight Mon 27-Mar-17 21:49:59

Thought I'd join in as just booked a long weekend in the Easter holidays with teens. First visit, staying in a woodland house and driving up from Calais. Mumsnet loves this place so I'm really looking forward to it. Anyone been to the town nearby 'Breda'? Supposed to be pretty.

PenguindreamsofDraco Wed 29-Mar-17 08:51:06

We're going over Easter, entirely as a result of recommendations from MN grin

We're staying in the hotel for 2 nights. Is it like Disney where you get extra time in the park if you're staying there? Are there shows in the evening after the park closes?

Hulder Wed 29-Mar-17 12:23:33

Not sure but there is a light and fountain show which you basically can't enjoy unless you are staying/leaving at the last minute.

IadoreEfteling Wed 29-Mar-17 22:26:52

natural woodland houses are just lovely!! You will love it, so peaceful and relaxing. Not been to Breda but yes looks very pretty, we had lots of good intentions to visit near by towns the first time but literally could not leave the park.
penguin

yes extra time but I guess as its not as busy as disney you dont get same amount of extra time.

We do get out for that extra half hour however not many things are open, for us its more to get in the queue for stuff that opens at normal time, to get dd 9 on the rollers. She usually is able to go on them to her hearts content at that time up to 11ish, when we would walk round enjoy - do other stuff then head back to little pool area and accmd. ( but hotel doesn't have pool) Its not as manic as Disney we have been peak times and it still felt very pleasant not crowded and using the E app, were able to plan the rides for dd - ie early am and then later as park emptied to get her on.

Not sure about shows at Easter, there is the water show, Pinocchio restaurant - check its open - they have a little sweet show....but in summer they have shows on Saturdays, lots of stuff going on then and park open till midnight.

IadoreEfteling Wed 29-Mar-17 22:30:19

By the way I am gutted on my first visit I handled a very beautiful 25 euro - fairy tale book ( blue) with original illustrations by Anton pieck whose style dominates park.

I didn't buy the bastard, thinking it would be there next time I went back and its not! For some bizarre reason they have decided to stop printing it - they do a red one which is the more obscure fairy tales eg, the little figures that top the gates to the fairy tale wood but not main ones that we are not that familiar with here - like Long Neck angry.

Its made me sooo cross! Especially as they are working to make it more accessible to English speakers.

BTW they leave little books out for the dc on arrival, if in ducth ask for Eng version they usually have - ( little pamphlet thing)Please complain about blue book I want it!

EyeStye Sat 08-Apr-17 13:34:45

We've been twice both times at Easter and love it. I don't think there are extra hours but it's not needed. Bosrijk park is lovely. Where are you staying in a villa or apartment OP?

PenguindreamsofDraco Tue 11-Apr-17 11:11:46

Is the pool in the village worth a visit? We'll only have 2 hours or so on the morning we leave. I don't know if we can do much in the park or if a trip to the pool would be a better use of time.

EyeStye Tue 11-Apr-17 11:35:09

How many days are you staying for penguin? We did four nights at bosrijk and used one of our half days for the pool. It's quite small but lovely with a little lazy river and a contraption on the ceiling with loads of buckets which kids fill by operating pumps then they empty out on swimmers heads - most amusing.
With just two hours I'd stay in bosrijk, the pool and the bosrijk woods are lovely, loads of natural play areas to explore with fairyland touches.

Also bear in mind that whilst it's about 10 mins walk from the gatehouse aprartments (where the pool is) at bosrijk to the park entrance, you can be 15 mins from the gatehouse apartments if staying in a house or the other apartments , and the park entrance doesn't have any rides there, another 5-10 mins to the first rides and maybe 30 mins plus to get to the furthest point of the park. It's massive!

EyeStye Tue 11-Apr-17 11:36:51

So outskirts point of bosrijk to other end of Efteling park maybe 50 mins!

IAdoreEfteling Tue 11-Apr-17 15:40:08

Penguin, lovely as the pool is I would say for a two night visit based in hotel No.

However for future visits a quick visit to Borsjick one day to see it ( you may want to stay there) or better still just drive in and have a look, is a better idea.

We have been 3 nights each time so far and not been round every single thing in the park, you can spend hours and hours just wandering round fairy tale wood alone.

IAdoreEfteling Tue 11-Apr-17 15:41:28

Yes there is extra half hour shock hmm not much but as Eye said not really needed, however certainly useful for us - to get to best rides first and get DD roller desires saited.

YippieKayakOtherBuckets Tue 16-May-17 12:34:46

OP here. Our trip is in a few weeks and I am very excited!

We're taking the ferry from Calais -- Dunkirk and then driving to Efteling. I'm hoping it will be fairly quiet as I don't believe our half term is a holiday in the Netherlands.

Can anyone tell me what time the pool opens in Bosrijk? I'm sure that I read on a tripadvisor review that it's afternoons only but I can't find it now.

Myfanwyprice Tue 16-May-17 12:46:12

We're going close to Christmas, has anyone been in the winter?

AngelicaSchuylerChurch Tue 16-May-17 12:53:45

One question about the attractions - how scary is the haunted castle (Spookslot)?

I think DD will enjoy the dark rides so we'll certainly do Droomvlucht and Fata Morgana. I'm a bit disappointed that we'll miss Symbolica but it doesn't open until 1 July.

TheSconeOfStone Tue 16-May-17 14:46:49

We're going at the end of August just for the day. Staying at Duinrell for a week and going to Efteling for DD's 7th birthday. She loves fairy tales and her big sister loves scary rides. Hopefully both will have a great day.

Madcats Tue 16-May-17 14:50:28

We've been to Efteling twice (once at Easter and once at the end of August when the Dutch/Belgian/French are already back at school).
Each time we have chosen to stay in Bosrijk village (in the castle bit overlooking a nearby golf course) primarily because we can nip in and out of the park for a couple of hours at a time. Do watch the show if you have time.

Bosrijk is self-catering we buy some basics from Lidl (5 minutes away in the car) and make up some snacks to keep us busy if there are queues (usually not too bad). They have a good system on a lot of the rides whereby "single" riders are often invited to jump the queue.

The swimming pool is fairly small but generally quiet (particularly in the afternoons). Children who aren't confident swimmers have to wear armbands because there is quite a current in some parts.

Download the app for your phone too.

Madcats Tue 16-May-17 15:04:08

Forgot to mention that DD(7) didn't enjoy the haunted house (found it dull). She finds Vogel Rok (dark roller coaster) hilarious (possibly because I think it is terrifying). Droomvlucht is aimed at younger kids (cleverly done)and Fata Morgana was worth a trip (it is usually pretty quiet). I refuse to go on Baron 1811 (but DH enjoyed it).

If it is raining, go to Panda Droom (a 3 D film). It exits onto the huge Octopus cafe/play area with animal models (great for younger kids). From memory they sell beer in there too (what's not to like)!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now