Talk

Advanced search

dropped a clanger with booking flight, baggage advice please

(40 Posts)
poppym12 Sun 19-Feb-17 10:38:28

I usually travel with monarch for short breaks, always hand luggage only (weighs on average 7 kilos). I'm going away for a few days at easter and due to time constraints, the monarch flight that day would be too early for me to make comfortably (rush hour traffic) so I've booked a slightly later flight with Thompsonfly.

Stupid of me I know but I didn't even think to check their cabin baggage restrictions on weight (I checked sizes and my usual bag is fine). Their cabin bag weight is 5 kilos rather than the 10 or 7 on every other airline I've travelled with. Obviously I'll ditch all non essential items to lighten my bag (I won't have time to collect hold luggage at the other end) and I'd gladly pay upfront to increase my cabin bag weight allowance but it doesnt seem like this is possible as options are to increase hold luggage weight.

I'm not expecting to not have to pay but i don't want to wait until I get to boarding to have my bag weighed and then need to pay the excess, I'd rather do it before on a just in case basis so that I'd be covered. Has anyone ever done this?

Also, I'm going to buy the lightest bag/rucksack I can find so would appreciate any recommendations. I'm currently looking at the cabin zero and the cabin max. Anyone have one of these?

mummymeister Sun 19-Feb-17 10:45:45

realistically a lighter bag is only going to make half a kilo difference at most. you cannot pay excess on cabin luggage. its to do with making sure everyone has space in the overhead for their bag. if your bag is too big or too heavy they will make you put it in the hold or you wont be able to travel with it. saw this happen with a guy on our last flight. he was not happy but they didn't give in and he had to do it.

the lightest bag is going to be a sturdy supermarket carrier. not desperately practical but worth considering.

5kg really is not very much at all. can you really not stop at the other end and collect a bag? is it a transport thing or you just don't like doing it.

poppym12 Sun 19-Feb-17 10:57:43

It's a time, travel and appointment constraints at the other end regarding hold baggage. If the bags came off really quickly it wouldnt be a problem but it's a big risk to take a chance on that. The cabin bag sizes are the same as other airlines but the weight is halved. I thought bags could go under the seat as well as overhead lockers but I have never flown with Thompson so obviously I'm not aware of how they operate.

I can't believe I never even thought to check something so simple in advance (silly of me to book a trip in the days following a bereavement when my brain was elsewhere). I thought about cancelling and booking elsewhere but t & C says all flights are non refundable.

I'll ditch everything I can, even though I travel lightly, but I do have to take a fair few medical supplies which I can't go without.

childmaintenanceserviceinquiry Sun 19-Feb-17 11:06:17

are you allowed a separate handbag? that might help a bit if you have a large handbag

herebehippos Sun 19-Feb-17 11:06:58

Put the heaviest items into your handbag (medications mini shampoo electronics etc). After check or on the plane itself put them in your cabin baggage. Also post ahead anything that wont come under the weight to the hotel (let them know your are doing this). Wear layers, lots of layers!

herebehippos Sun 19-Feb-17 11:08:02

You can also collect medication after security at some airports..

KanyeWesticle Sun 19-Feb-17 11:17:03

Where are you travelling and for how long?

poppym12 Sun 19-Feb-17 11:33:15

Website says 1 piece of hand luggage so everything is included in the 5kg. I'm travelling to italy, 4 days. I don't take a lot wherever I go but as I said, with meds, toiletries, chargers etc my bag usually weighs about 7kg. I'd be more than happy to pay an excess beforehand for hand luggage. Apparently all passengers get 15kg free allowance hold luggage but I just won't have time to collect a bag at the other end (as much as I adore Italy and the people, rushing is not a thing there. Probably why I love it so much).

Gunpowder Sun 19-Feb-17 11:38:48

When I flew with them they only weighed the obviously big-looking cabin bags. I think I'd give them a ring and explain and see what they say.

titchy Sun 19-Feb-17 11:45:27

Can't say ive ever had cabin baggage weighed. Can't you just put heavier stuff, e.g. Toiletries in your jacket pocket?

PuraVida Sun 19-Feb-17 11:52:41

Don't bother taking toiletries just buy them when you get there

Chimchar Sun 19-Feb-17 12:05:39

You can take your hand luggage AND a handbag can't you?
So can your 'handbag' be a rucksack with the heavy stuff in it?
Might that work?

Itscurtainsforyou Sun 19-Feb-17 12:12:24

I did a week in Greece on 5kg of hand luggage. Used a cabin max bag, put chargers and meds in my pockets, pre-ordered toiletries from boots on the air side of airport (duty free type things didn't count in the allowance).

Get a jacket with big pockets wink

Angelica85 Sun 19-Feb-17 12:12:40

Wear a coat with deep pockets - seriously!

plimsolls Sun 19-Feb-17 12:20:08

Wear a big coat with lots of pockets for all your heavy stuff
Phone
Wallet
Toiletries (miniatures obv)
Medication
Make up

Put all the liquids in the requisite resealable bag to go through security and then distribute them in your coat pockets once through.

i reckon if your bag is a smallish size and doesn't look overstuffed then they won't even look twice though. I suspect they enforce the weight limit more for those people who basically look as if they are taking two weeks worth of stuff in a suitcase.

Try and be one of the first on the plane too, even though it means queuing. I think they'll be less worried about the size of your bag. Also, if you really can't have a bag go in to the hold then you don't want to risk the overhead lockers being full. Last flight I got on (think it was monarch actually) only allowed the first 90 cabin suitcases on.

poppym12 Sun 19-Feb-17 12:25:02

I've weighed my usual bag.....2.3kg! Ditching that and will get a cabin max (or cabin zero??) which is less than a kilo and I might not have to forego much travel stuff. Buying toiletries abroad is a nightmare as I only use cruelty free products so searching them out would mean going into a bigger town for a farmacia which I haven't got time for (plus it's easter so opening times may be wonky).
Will definitely do the big pocket thing, good idea, but on some flights where its said one piece of hand luggage, it really is that. Handbag has to go inside your cabin bag until you're through.

Piehunter Sun 19-Feb-17 12:35:37

We flew with Thompson in October, just to mallorca. They didn't weigh any hand luggage that I saw on that flight (disappointing as I was soo careful and it was pointless!) It did go under seats as well as above. Lots of people got on with a handbag or bag from duty free and their suitcase, I was sticking to the letter of the law grin

MollyofTheFolly Sun 19-Feb-17 12:48:04

We use cabin Max bags, they do the trick for travelling light hand luggage only. Make sure you get the right size for the airline, the cabin max website tells you I think. Go for one with plenty of pockets, easier to stuff bits in, I've found!

I'd buy as many toiletries as possible from Boots/Duty free after you've checked in so it doesn't add on to your weight. Thomson don't routinely weigh or measure cabin bags like Ryanair do, only the obviously excessive ones. Would it be feasible to post a package to where you'll be staying to arrive as you do?

poppym12 Sun 19-Feb-17 12:55:29

I've been in queues where people have packed for a month and expect to take it on as hand luggage then got all butt hurt when told they'll have to pay extra etc and it enrages me. Budget flights are budget for a reason. I really dont want to be one of those people that irritates me but I must admit, booking hastily at a bad time and not reading properly then finding out about the 5kilo restriction has thrown me a bit and made me feel really stupid. I've just ordered a cabin max so weight wise that should cancel out over a kilo. Coming back is the usual 10 kilo with Norwegian so maybe I'll just have to find time to pop into a town afterall to find solace in Italian goodies I have room for in my bag.

I'll book more carefully next time. Thanks for the advice wine

Archfarchnad Sun 19-Feb-17 13:02:45

You are decanting your cruelty-free toiletries into the smallest plastic containers, just enough for your 4 days stay? For that timeyou'll need very little shower gel/ shampoo etc.
i think if you combine that with a lighter cabin bag plus carrying the heaviest goods in your pockets, you'll be fine. Once you're through the checks you can put the heavy stuff back in the cabin bag.

MewlingQuim Sun 19-Feb-17 13:05:40

Everything heavy in your pockets.

Wear as much as you can.

Buy toiletries when you get there (surely Norway has plenty of cruelty free products confused )

tribpot Sun 19-Feb-17 13:08:27

I don't think you'll need this option, but you could have your bag sent on ahead (esp since you have a much more generous weight allowance on the way back, so you'd only need luggage forwarding in one direction). I just looked at sendmybag.com and it'd be £31.

tribpot Sun 19-Feb-17 13:11:47

But for style and elegance you can't beat the wearable luggage grin

dazzlingdeborahrose Sun 19-Feb-17 13:20:40

Most airlines give extra allowance for medical items. You just need a GPs note.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now