Talk

Advanced search

Costa Brava!! Which resort? 3 Laydeez, September!

(16 Posts)
Draylon Sat 18-Feb-17 17:45:59

Myself and my 2 besties, mature ladies of 50-odd who'd never drink too much and laugh like loons, oh no have decided to fly to Girona (Ryanair) and head for the coast for 5 days on the Costa Brava.

We're thinking a holiday apartment so it'd have a small kitchen, shared pool.

I've never been to the coast there so know nothing about it.

Can anyone give me some advice about where would be good to go? We'd probably go walking for part of the day, sit by the pool, on the beach or at a seafront cafe for a bit, and dine out (more tapas than fish and chips!) a couple of times.

We're not going on the pull nor will we be dancing on the tables in a nightclub, however, we're not looking for expensive, upmarket sophistication, either!

Any ideas?

TIA

mirmc Sat 18-Feb-17 21:23:10

Tossa de Mar! Stunning, beautiful old town with a castle and lighthouse and gorgeous restaurants. It's classy but really reasonable. (Not to be confused with Lloret de Mar which is more "Kiss me Quick")Tossa is only half an hour from Gerona airport and has lovely beaches and boat trips too.

Draylon Sat 18-Feb-17 23:25:44

Funny thing- I am thinking exactly the same! Spent a couple of hours this evening researching, and it's looking good!

And it's got nothing to do with how amusing we supposedly 'sophisticated laydeez' of that certain age find the word 'Tossa' grin

It appears to have a great beach, an old town, and a good vibe, plus being 35kms from Girona, and easy access to Barc for a day trip.

Thanks for the vindication!

mirmc Sat 18-Feb-17 23:52:22

There's a direct bus to Barcelona, takes about an hour and 10. Gerona is fab town too and much closer. If you fancied hiring a car there are stunning towns eg Calella de Palafrugell, Llafranc, Begur etc nearby. Ive been 3 times and LOVE it! There are beautiful restaurants within the walls of the old town and loads along the seafront, tons of choice.

Draylon Sun 19-Feb-17 00:04:39

Thanks, mirmc, can I pick your knowledge further once I've convinced The Laydeez? x

Draylon Sun 19-Feb-17 00:07:13

NEVER tell DH, but I am more excited about 5-7 days in Tossa with The Laydeez than I am about 2 weeks in a villa wiv infinity pool for 2 weeks in Orba, Valencia, in early July with the family grin.

mirmc Sun 19-Feb-17 11:07:40

Any questions fire away. I have loads of restaurant recommendations! I'm trying to convince my friend to go for her 50th. I know she would love it too, but is favouring Paris at the moment :-( You will all love it there, I can guarantee you!

Draylon Sun 19-Feb-17 17:21:45

mirmc would you say Tossa has places you can go for a reasonable walk, in mid-September? Maybe along the coast? And is there more than one 'accommodation' area? we'd like to be within walking distance of some dining options. TIA

mirmc Sun 19-Feb-17 20:17:48

It's quite small so most hotels and apartments are really central, maybe 5 mins from the beach and the old town where you havwva huge choice of Lots of nice walks, up through the old town to the lighthouse at the top which has beautiful views. The Sangria de Cava is highly recommended. There are lovely coastal walks too, if you fancy something a bit more strenuous.

mirmc Sun 19-Feb-17 20:24:58

Sorry, 2 kids hanging out of me at the moment! Huge choice of restaurants.

Lovelybangers Mon 20-Feb-17 15:04:58

I was going to suggest Sitges as an option either.

But I'd fly into Barcelona for that one.

Went with DH a couple of years ago for a very long weekend. We loved it. Plenty of tapas places and bars - and nightclubs if you wanted them too. Beautiful beaches also.

I went to Callella a few years ago for a short break with teenage DS. We enjoyed it - a large enough town to eat out in different places each night - bars, and glorious beach. Just up the coast from Barcelona on the local train.

Draylon Mon 20-Feb-17 19:12:17

Thanks! TBH as we're only going for a few days, proximity to Girona airport is a thing, as we'd be flying cheap'n'cheerful.

Personally, I'd really like Sitges but it might be a bit far from the airport.

Draylon Mon 20-Feb-17 19:20:25

mirmc reading TripAdvisor re Tossa, everyone comments on the fine-pebbled beach, which won't be an issue for us, but are there sandy beaches within a reasonable walk/public transport distance?

And- a biggie.. get out your crystal ball, here! Will the sea and/or hotel pool be warm enough to swim in, in mid Sept? Doing so isn't critical to the success of our trip, but I maybe won't factor in 'apartments with shared pools' if there's no point! TIA

mirmc Mon 20-Feb-17 20:40:18

We are so lazy, usually stay at hotel pool, but I think there's a few sandy beaches a short walk around the bay. We usually go first weekend October/last weekend September and have always had sunbathing weather, but if you could go a bit earlier in the month, it'd be safer. I love Sitges but found Tossa a lot cheaper than there and resorts closer to Barcelona, Calella (de Mar, not C de Palafrugell), Blanes, Santa Susanna, Malgrat etc (and nicer IMO, not as built up).

Draylon Fri 03-Mar-17 17:32:45

thinking about this one!

indyandlara Fri 03-Mar-17 22:27:57

Love Blanes. Some lovely apartments there. Tossa is very pretty though and great places to eat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now