Talk

Advanced search

Austrian Lake holiday

(7 Posts)
Jezzabelle Sat 18-Feb-17 16:14:02

My partner and I are taking my DDs (8 and 11) abroad this Summer for our first proper holiday together. We would like an Austrian lake holiday with activities nearby for us all, eg water sports, tobogganing etc. but don't want to end up in a place that is spoiled by tourism with a Butlins feel. Happy to take day trips from our accommodation too.

We would like to stay in a lodge/mobile home type affair on a Eurocamp style site, (doesn't actually need to be Eurocamp though!) Happy to consider Air bnb too. We will fly into Salzburg.

Anyone with any ideas or prior knowledge please get in touch as we are a bit stuck as the best place to stay having not been there before.

TIA

Suttonmum1 Sat 18-Feb-17 18:10:35

Until you said flying to Salzberg I would have recommended Natterer See campsite, which Eurocamp offer, but that's not far from Innsbruck. Nearer Salzburg is Sportcamp Woferlgut (if I remember the spelling correctly), which has appartment style hotel rooms and caravans to rent too, can't remember if there ate any mobiles. Natterer See is much nicer in my opinion.

Jezzabelle Sat 18-Feb-17 18:24:12

Ooh! Thanks Sutton, our hearts are not set on Salzburg as not booked flights yet so will look into Natterer See. Thanks!

Suttonmum1 Sat 18-Feb-17 22:42:34

Can I also suggest then that Munich is not so far from Innsbruck, and the flights there are frequent and probably cheaper. Munich is a great place to visit, and very easy to access from the airport. You could do a couple of nights there first. Re Natterere See, they have lots of accomodation cos there, some with pre-erected tents and some apartments. We did rent with Eurocamp and there units are well positioned. There are organised walks each morning, and various activities on offer at the site. THe lake is nice, but not enormous (they do do kayaking). There is a bus from the site into Innsbruck (Though we had a car). Good restaurant, take away, standard camping stuff. The cleanest, most well fitted toilet block I have ever seen (even though we were in a mobile). A good day trip is down into Italy to see Otzi, the bog man who is preserved in a fantastic museum in Bolzano, takes an hour or one and a half to get there I think. Bolzano v. pretty and the museum is really well done (see trip advisor). Also Olympic ski jump in Innsbruck is a good visit - great to stand at the top of that. I imagine there must be a summer toboggan run somewhere but not sure where (we have done that elsewhere and it is fun).

Suttonmum1 Sat 18-Feb-17 22:47:02

grammar: their units, not there! One further point, for a similar experience Lake Bled in Slovenia is very nice. Bigger, warmer climate and cheaper. Fly to Ljubljana then under an hour and a half.

Jezzabelle Mon 20-Feb-17 20:39:40

Sutton, you've just sorted our Summer holiday out for us! Thank you so much! Flying into Munich and staying at the Eurocamp site (although booked directly) at Natterer See. Looks stunning and lots to do. We're staying in a deluxe tent as all of the cabins were already sold out for our dates! But it does look luxurious and has it's own bathroom.

The DDs are super excited and I con't wait! I may bother you nearer the time for any top tips not already mentioned. Thanks again.

Suttonmum1 Tue 21-Feb-17 16:29:14

Pleased to help. Not suprised it was sold out on Eurocamp. Will you be spending any time in Munich? I have been there a couple of times so could recommend stuff there.

My son reminds me that Otzi in Bolzano is a man who was preserved in ice, not a bog. Still fascinating though. Also weather in Bolzano can be different to Innsbruck area, so a good day out if you get any rain.

The Innsbrucker Nordkettenbahnen Cable car is a good trip. You can stop off at the Alpine Zoo on the way down. We used an Innsbruck card to cover that. I think we only bought a 48 or 72 hour card and tried to cram in as many things as we could into that time.

Have remembered that we hired bikes in the middle of Innsbruck. Short ride from the shop to river then a bike path along east to Hall (I think) where we had lunch, or you can go in the other direction.
I notice on google maps that Swarowski Crystal world is East of Innsbruck and might be covered by the card - I have boys who would not have wanted to go there.

Look at the reviews on ukcampsite.co.uk for a bit more info. Go to Campsite search then 'other countries'.

If you have a car then probably worth a trip to the nearest Lidl which you can find on google maps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now