Talk

Advanced search

Short trip to Geneva - sights and money

(5 Posts)
HairsprayBabe Fri 17-Feb-17 11:15:43

Hi, me and DP are off to Geneva end of next week, we are planning to go to CERN and eat a lot of fondu and go to the red cross museum.

Will have 2 full days and 2 half days.

How much money should we be taking, breakfast is included at our hotel as well as a travel card, so I was thinking about £350. We aren't big drinkers.

Is there anywhere else we should be looking at visiting and is my £350 budget a complete joke?

Cheers

bojorojo Sun 19-Feb-17 01:06:27

Your money will be just about ok but the exchange rate is currently horrific and Switzerland is very expensive at the best of times. My DD lived in Geneva for 6 months when she was at university there - they do their grocery shopping in France! As an example, at £1/1.6 Swiss francs, a cup of coffee was £3.50 over 3 years ago. The Exchange rate is now 1.20 for £1. The cheaper cafes are near the university. Or look for familiar chains.

You must try and get out on Lake Geneva if it is not too cold. The best thing we did was go to the Patek Philippe Watch and Clock museum. It is unique and stunning. The cathedral area is great and the older parts of the city are lovely. DD visited the UN Building.

Don't buy anything there you can get here!!! It will cost you more. There is a good tram system that covers many areas, but the centre is not huge.

relaxitllbeok Sun 19-Feb-17 11:11:42

If you like CERN you may also enjoy the (small, free) history of science museum www.geneva.info/museums/museum-of-the-history-of-science/ . I second the recommendation for the Philippe Patek museum, too. I'm not convinced you'll find fondue the best eating option! The Switzerland Second video commented that they don't eat it themselves, just feed it to tourists, iirr. I recommend the restaurant Au Pied de Cochon near the cathedral for much better options!

HairsprayBabe Mon 20-Feb-17 08:21:06

Thats fine but we really love melted cheese so happy to just be touristy relax grin

Might up the spends to £450 just so it isn't too tight, watch and clock museum looks good, and the UN was on our list but I wasn't sure if there is a visitor center or you just look at the building!

anotherdayanothersquabble Mon 20-Feb-17 08:33:07

My favourite place to eat is At Bains de Paquis. Lovely environment and reasonable prices. Their plat du jour is usually good and has vegetarian and gluten free options.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: