Talk

Advanced search

Which district to stay in in Rome?

(27 Posts)
sleepwouldbenice Thu 16-Feb-17 22:09:33

Hello

just starting to pull together ideas for going to Italy in Oct half term - probably getting 4 nights in Rome

Any idea of the best area to stay in - in terms of being nice enough for families, maybe near one of the tourist areas, resturants nearby, access to transport etc

When we decide where we want to stay will probably then look for self catering apartment so any ideas there would be great too, plus any other Rome tips at all!

Thanks in advance

Crispbutty Thu 16-Feb-17 22:13:34

Trastevere

Blogwoman Thu 16-Feb-17 22:16:42

Hi, we went last October half term for 2 nights, with our 2 teens. Would recommend the self-catering apartment we stayed in, a short walk from the Colosseum & walkable to all the sites we wanted to visit. Check out Appartamento Grazioli on Booking! www.booking.com/Share-plohM8

Toddlerteaplease Thu 16-Feb-17 22:16:48

I stayed in the Aventine. Walking distance to everything!

Neolara Thu 16-Feb-17 22:19:13

We stayed in a airb n b flat about 100 meters from the Colluseum. It was close to restaurants and we walked to all the site except the Vatican.

Rome was awesome. We spent a lot of time wa during around and eating g ice-cream.. Happy days..

Kebabrador Thu 16-Feb-17 22:25:16

We stayed here - www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187791-d6885039-Reviews-Chroma_Octho-Rome_Lazio.html - about half way down the Via Cavour, just around the corner from the Colosseum and easy walking distance to Termini station and the Forum. We walked everywhere from there actually but it was close to some metro stations if you wanted to do that instead.

Was close to some good bars and restaurants - a bit noisy at night, but probably not an issue in October.

PetalMettle Thu 16-Feb-17 22:27:52

We stayed in Trevi, which is near the embassies - close enough to everything.
Travestere has lots of restaurants and bars but is across the river from the sights - although that's not a particular issue unless you don't like bridges. It is very busy.
It's an awesome city enjoy!

PetalMettle Thu 16-Feb-17 22:28:43

@kebabrador didn't you find it a bit rough around termini?

namechangingagainagain Thu 16-Feb-17 22:30:16

Place marking for tips (already booked near Trevi fountain for may half term- no idea if it's any good or not!)

BeachysSnowyWellieBoots Thu 16-Feb-17 22:30:52

I'm going with dd at the end of March and I was looking at hotels in Travestere....looks like a good area and I figured after dinner, she would want the shortest walk to bed! She's 12.....

Kebabrador Thu 16-Feb-17 22:32:36

@PetalMettle - yes! Termini end of the Via Cavour wasn't very nice and loads of pickpockets in the station itself. Chroma Octho was a good way further down the Via Cavour (about a 25 min walk with a pushchair) and much less rough :-)

MaudGonneMad Thu 16-Feb-17 22:32:44

We stayed in Testaccio. Not touristy, full of locals, easy to get to all the sights via the metro, and great food.

WizardLizard Thu 16-Feb-17 22:33:11

Trastevere would also be my choice. I've stayed near Termini which was fine and on the outskirts but would choose Trastevere next time.

sleepwouldbenice Thu 16-Feb-17 22:34:09

Wow lots of ideas already.. will keep me busy! Thanks

Squarepegina Thu 16-Feb-17 22:34:34

Trastevere without a doubt

Annebronte Thu 16-Feb-17 22:41:26

Between Campi di Fiori and Piazza Navonna is gorgeous and v central. If you're going with kids, then look at the Dark Rome website: we enjoyed the night-time walking tour - lots of gruesome tales and fascinating details we hadn't noticed looking around ourselves. A great day trip (if you like to cycle) is the Via Appia Antica, which is an old Roman road that ran from the forum to Brindisi - you can hire bikes at the tourist office at the end nearest Rome. Take a picnic and cycle along the beautiful cypress lined ancient cobbled road through lovely scenery! It's a short taxi or bus ride to the bike hire place from the centre of Rome. Cycle through the river valley to start, to avoid traffic, then join the Appia Antica after the junction where it's car free (all v obvious from the maps at the bike hire place). Have fun!

PetalMettle Thu 16-Feb-17 22:43:19

Ah that makes sense kebab!
Interesting about testaccio - we went there for drinks and dinner and I thought it seemed very cool.
God Italy's brilliant smile

Crispbutty Thu 16-Feb-17 23:34:11

I've stayed near the termini a few times and whilst it's cheap it can be a bit dodgy late at night, noisy and we saw and heard a lot of arguments and fights.

Trastevere is only a short distance from the main centre but is much more family orientated with little cobbled streets full of restaurants, and courtyards with performance artists.

Crispbutty Thu 16-Feb-17 23:37:05

Trastevere at night

BeachysSnowyWellieBoots Fri 17-Feb-17 07:25:28

Any recommendations for reasonable hotels in Travestere? I'm so late in organising this grin

BeachysSnowyWellieBoots Fri 17-Feb-17 07:26:01

Or Trastevere.... sorry

budgiegirl Fri 17-Feb-17 11:10:17

The area just south of the Campo d'Fiori is a good location - walkable to all the main sites during the day, but an easy walk over to Trastavere in the evening.

sleepwouldbenice Sat 18-Feb-17 20:01:37

Thank you so much for all your ideas! am going to have a good look through options over the next week or two. You are all making me very happy we are going (need to book the flights!) just hope the weather is half decent!

Sittinginthesun Sat 18-Feb-17 20:08:31

www.rometimeshotel.com

We stayed here, in a family room with the dcs. It was fantastic.

Agree that Trastavere is the best place to eat in the evening.

Only other real tip is to do the Forum etc first thing, before it gets busy. We strolled in, just as it opened, but when we left there were huge queues.

bitofabelly Sun 19-Feb-17 06:39:46

We are staying here this summer..near Pantheon

https://www.booking.com/hotel/it/rinidia-roma-centro.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now