Talk

Advanced search

Summer holiday - driving trip - where to go?

(10 Posts)
juneau Wed 15-Feb-17 09:27:25

We have a week this summer (school summer hols), and DH wants to drive somewhere. The choices are:

Northumberland
Lake District
Peak District

or somewhere in northern Europe, so:

Northern France
Belgium
Holland

The English choices are largely terra incognita for all of us, although I've been to the Lake District and Northumberland when I was a child. But I'm not massively keen on England as the the weather can be unpredictable even in July/Aug.

France, Belgium or Holland are more attractive, and tbh I'd love some good suggestions. We've been to Brittany twice (both north and south), and it's a bit far for a week (we'd travel via the Eurotunnel). I've been to Normandy and we're going to Disneyland Paris in May, so not there. We've been as a family to Bruges, Antwerp, Ghent, WW1 battlefields, etc, and two years ago we spent Easter at Efteling (theme park in Holland). DH and I have both been to Amsterdam more than once and I'm not that keen to take the DC (aged 9 & 6) in high summer when it will be very crowded.

So bearing all that mind, does anyone have any good suggestions? Our DC are typical kids who love parks, zoos, aquariums, theme parks, ice cream, etc. DH and I like culture, good food and for our kids to be happy. We prefer to SC and eat out than hotel/AI and definitely not camping.

juneau Wed 15-Feb-17 09:28:32

Sorry - Normandy IS an option - but not DLP or Paris itself.

CardinalSin Fri 17-Feb-17 13:46:26

Loire Valley? Chateaux and gardens are probably more for adults (along with wine tours), but there are some kid friendly things to do as well.

BorisJohnsonsHair Fri 17-Feb-17 13:58:13

You could head south or east, eg Dorset/Norfolk as the weather us generally much drier than the north and west.

How about a boat on the Norfolk Broads?

bojorojo Sun 19-Feb-17 01:10:52

My friends did a driving holiday in Denmark. They loved it. Ditto Iceland. I think real life adventure is better than a theme park any time. Northern Spain is worthwhile too.

midsomermurderess Sat 25-Feb-17 22:07:40

What about Northern Spain, Cantabria, Asturias. There are some pretty beaches and the Picos Europea are extraordinary. The food is very good too, hearty.

Bebraveagain Sun 19-Mar-17 09:04:07

Duinrell is a great site and theme park in holland for your DCs ages. Its got a great indoor and outdoor waterpark too. Easy for day out in amsterdam or the beach.

No1HolidayPlanner Sun 19-Mar-17 09:12:58

Duinrell is fab.. Loads onsite, just over the road from a lovely town Wassenaar with restaurants and an excellent ice cream parlour.. Can hire bikes.. Close to beach.. Leiden is a lively town close by that we cycled to.. Loved it smile

namechangedtoday15 Mon 20-Mar-17 18:22:06

Also did Duinrell about that age and children loved it.

Hulder Wed 22-Mar-17 21:11:42

If you've done Amsterdam and Efteling that's kind of the best bit.

All my childhood holidays were spent driving round Denmark - I loved it but it's a very very long drive now they've scrapped the ferry to Esbjerg.

What about Puy-du-Fou in France? Am trying to convince DH that we should go grin Mix of culture, history and mad theme park and supposedly one of the sunniest bits of France.

Have done Lake District and Peak District - OK if you are prepared to be rained on and want to walk up hills.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now