Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone been to Slovenia?

(25 Posts)
OublietteBravo Sun 12-Feb-17 21:23:04

I'm starting to think about our summer holiday. I quite fancy something other than a beach holiday. Maybe mountains.

A quick google brought up Slovenia. Has anyone been? Is there anywhere you'd recommend? What is the weather like in August?

I'll be travelling with DH, DD (13) and DS(11). Budget is up to £3500 for 10 days.

bakingaddict Sun 12-Feb-17 21:31:21

I've not been but I'm going this summer we are starting in Vienna for 3 days, Ljubljana for 4 days and then Croatia for a week. I'm looking forward to going to Lake Bled and I hear lake Bohinj is also beautiful but we don't have time to do both. You can also get to Italy quite reasonably from Slovenia so look at Trieste and Venice as well if your going for 10 days

JassyRadlett Sun 12-Feb-17 21:41:47

Gorgeous! I was there about 10 years ago, Ljubljana, Bohinj and Piran.

The weather was lovely - chilly in the evening at Bohinj and cool up in the Triglavs, but so so beautiful.

We then took the boat from Piran to Venice, quick trip and finished it off nicely.

museumum Sun 12-Feb-17 21:43:06

Lake Bled is really gorgeous. The people are friendly. It's a very active area/culture so loads of walking / cycling / rowing etc.

Marzipants Sun 12-Feb-17 21:46:14

Been twice! Once before kids and once with all three of them.

Love love love it. Ljubljana and Bled are great, the walking is fantastic. Everyone speaks English (or German), the food is good (okay, the sausages are not). The roads are amazingly good so if you hire a car you can cross the country in a few hours. You'll have a great time.

HappenstanceMarmite Sun 12-Feb-17 21:47:21

Bled is stunningly beautiful and has a lovely atmosphere.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 12-Feb-17 21:47:37

Ljubliana and Bled are lovely . We also did a trip to Venice while we were there.

SandrasAnnoyingFriend Sun 12-Feb-17 21:51:31

We went last year and had the best holiday ever. We all loved it!
Did 2 nights in Ljubljana, 5 in Bled and then drove down to Rovinj in Croatia.
The weather was very warm with a few showers while we were in Bled. We did gorge walking, summer tobogganing, lake swimming, kayaking and family friendly white water rafting.
Go, it's a beautiful country.

knaffedoff Sun 12-Feb-17 21:53:06

Toured slovenia and Croatia many years ago, didn't want to go to slovenia tbh only Croatia! Loved slovenia but wasn't that keen on Croatia! Go and enjoy!

Guitargirl Sun 12-Feb-17 21:55:36

Have been a few times. Go to skojcanske jame - it's like being in the hobbit.

BubbleWrapQueen Sun 12-Feb-17 21:58:36

With that budget, and mountains, try Austria. You could get all inclusive for a week for that. We went with Thomson lakes and it was amazing.

OublietteBravo Sun 12-Feb-17 22:07:04

Oh - thanks everyone. It sounds like it's worth looking into a bit more.

BubbleWrap - we've been to Austria several times (summer and winter) and are looking for somewhere new to explore. Thanks for the suggestion though.

BubbleWrapQueen Sun 12-Feb-17 22:10:34

Ah, didn't realise! One thing when we looked at Slovenia was the transfer times - up to 4 hours with some package holidays so be careful! I loved the idea of Slovenia, but don't transfer well at all!

Another amazing one is Norway in August, if you've not already done it.

Finola1step Sun 12-Feb-17 22:15:19

We went about 12 years ago. Loved it. We started in Salzburg then train to Ljubljana via Klangerfurt. All lovely. Stayed a few nights in both Ljubljana and Lake Bled before heading down to Hvar and Dubrovnik. Great holiday.

Finola1step Sun 12-Feb-17 22:17:32

Oh and like Knaffedoff, I expected to like Croatia more than Slovenia but was pleasantly surprised.

bakingaddict Sun 12-Feb-17 22:17:36

If your looking to get around Slovenia and not hiring a car we were recommended GoOpti by a Slovenian friend. We are using this company to transfer us to Croatia

SandrasAnnoyingFriend Sun 12-Feb-17 22:18:29

I don't understand the comment about transfer times. Ljubljana airport is equidistant between Ljubljana and Bled. About 40 mins in a taxi or hire car either way.

bakingaddict Sun 12-Feb-17 22:23:01

Probably 4 hrs if a package holiday is transferring you from Austria. Much cheaper to do it yourself easyjet advertising Luton to Ljubljana from £29.90 haven't looked to see what the prices are like in August though

BubbleWrapQueen Sun 12-Feb-17 22:26:16

^^yes, transfer times were through package holidays. If you can arrange things yourself it is much easier and quicker. I know a lot of people (me included) prefer going through packages though when going abroad.

SandrasAnnoyingFriend Sun 12-Feb-17 22:29:56

We got August flights from Gatwick for about £70 each, taxi into Ljubljana was about £25 I think. Did Airbnb there then picked up a hire car and stayed in an eco village in Bled.

GemmaB78 Sun 12-Feb-17 22:39:44

Another vote for Slovenia. Went there in September 2005 with a few friends. Stayed in Ljubljana, with day trips to Bled, Postonja and a couple of other places. It was stunning. Ljubljana is a lovely city to explore. There's loads to do if you're active, outdoor types. We had a mix of weather, but some glorious sunshine. Good food, lovely people. I'd go back in a heartbeat!

Suttonmum1 Fri 17-Feb-17 12:52:09

We flew to Ljub, couple of nights there then stayed in a log cabin at Camping Sobec, a little way from Lake Bled, then Zagreb, Split (staying along the coast) and ferry from Split to Dubrovnik.

Was great. Found Slovenia very good value.

nicemarmot Fri 17-Feb-17 13:25:25

Went about 9 years ago and loved it. Had a night in Ljubljana which is a lovely compact city. Then onto Piran where we rented an apartment with a little roof terrace. The highlight for me was staying in the Soca valley which was stunning. Went in spring so there were beautiful wild flower meadows. The river is an unbelievable turquoise blue. Stayed in a little place which had cabins & from memory offered horse riding if your kids are into that. Found it on i-escape.com (can't remember the name off the top of my head). Would love to go back soon.

nicemarmot Fri 17-Feb-17 13:34:25

Just looked up name of where we stayed in Soca valley, is called Pristava Lepena.

OublietteBravo Sat 25-Mar-17 14:54:03

So excited. This morning I booked flights/accommodation. We are going to Slovenia from 30 Aug to 5 Sept (we decided to do a 3 centre holiday, so we're in France/Jersey for the previous 11 days).

Thanks for all the advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now