Talk

Advanced search

Lisbon in Feb?

(27 Posts)
PossibiliTea Sat 11-Feb-17 00:30:24

I'm heading to Lisbon next week and have been too busy with work to even being to look all over the internet at what to do, what to pack. Plus I think I would rather trust your opinions than others!

Has anyone been to Lisbon late Feb? Any advice at all?

Thanks in advance smile

Teds77 Sat 11-Feb-17 21:16:38

I've been in February half-term. It was warmer than I expected. Not warm but jumper and coat (medium weight) fine and we even had coats off when sat in a bit of sunshine.

Ride Tram 28 and the various funiculars and old lifts are great too. Visit the castle. If you are with kids the Aquarium, Science museum and cable car are all together and worth a trip.

Nospringflower Sun 12-Feb-17 14:39:09

We hired bikes and it was great. Recommended this to other people too and they agreed it was a really good thing to do!

Costacoffeeplease Sun 12-Feb-17 14:48:39

I live in the Algarve, the forecast is a bit unsettled this week, but next week looks better. Temps in Lisbon up to around 20 daytime, down to about 10 at night

The hop on hop off sightseeing bus is worth doing, get off at Belém for Jerónimo's monastery and the Descobrimentos monument - not forgetting the pastéis de Belém (custard tarts)

The Baixa area is full of little back streets with interesting shops, cafes and restaurants then get the Santa Justa elevator up to the Bairro Alto. For fado, go to the Alfama district with St George's castle at the top. Take a day trip to Sintra or Cascais by train

So much to do!

PossibiliTea Sun 12-Feb-17 23:03:59

Thank you so much, really helpful advice x

PossibiliTea Sun 12-Feb-17 23:05:56

I've taken a screenshot to take with me so we can try and cram in your suggestions smile I've had a look at the map and they are all doable from where we are staying which is pretty central

Costacoffeeplease Mon 13-Feb-17 07:18:26

I think Lisbon is a great place to just wander, a lot of the narrow streets are pedestrian only, with street cafes, and it's all just so fascinating, so half a day with no specific itinerary is good too!

Costacoffeeplease Mon 13-Feb-17 08:09:30

Something that I find interesting, may or not be your thing, is the recent history of Lisbon - the revolution was only in 1974 and there is footage on YouTube of the tanks rolling through the streets, and the soldiers with carnations in the barrels of their guns

Otherpeoplesteens Mon 13-Feb-17 08:50:14

All good advice above. If you're interested in the history of Lisbon there is the Lisbon Museum in Praça do Comércio which is a fascinating way of spending an hour or so, although I tend to think it concentrates more on the 1755 earthquake than 20th century.

If you want a really left-field thing to do, there is a museum of musical instruments in Alto dos Moinhos metro station. It's three stops further on than the one you'd use for the Gulbenkian Museum, so if you're planning on going there it's worth the extra hour or so.

One thing to note - many monuments and things are closed on Mondays.

ShangriLaLaLa Mon 13-Feb-17 13:53:40

Cascais on the train is a lovely day out. Also the old castle walls at Sintra are spectacular. Pena Palace there is best seen at a distance - although I know some who have enjoyed the trip up on the mini train.

PossibiliTea Mon 13-Feb-17 22:32:52

Costa thank you, we will definitely schedule in some wandering time, I think sometimes we have planned too much and maybe not sticking to an itinerary is best.

Yes Otherpeoplesteens the history sounds amazing and I like the sound of the musical instrument museum (no pun indended) it would be great to do something a little unusual. Thank you for the note about Mondays as we are going for a long weekend.

ShangriLaLaLa - a friend recommended Cascais, that's a must for us. I'm just looking into which train to get. We are staying near Marques de Pombal?

ShangriLaLaLa Tue 14-Feb-17 07:33:45

It's an excellent choice. You take the train from Cais do Sodré - you can easily get a metro there from the centre. Nice wander along the beach and then up into the town for a perfect grilled bass, or similar. The cliff walk is nice too. Just make sure you have a map, so you can work out where to go. PS can I come too?

Squarepegina Tue 14-Feb-17 07:38:20

Just a small caveat....just back and it was wall to wall bucketting rain!....( not bitter 😂)

In lieu of sunshine we ate lots. Great fun at Time Out at the market and if you like steak fab restaurant Sala de Corte.

Costacoffeeplease Tue 14-Feb-17 07:49:28

Yes the last few days has been very wet, in the Algarve as well as Lisbon, but after today the forecast is looking much brighter and drier smile

ShangriLaLaLa Tue 14-Feb-17 07:55:42

Hi Costa -sorry to be off topic but have you heard it's brighter for Algarve as well as Lisbon next week? We are off a week today and various sites are giving me conflicting forecasts. It won't be the end of the world but some better weather than here would be nice!

Costacoffeeplease Tue 14-Feb-17 08:01:43

Yes, at the moment it looks like it will be better here next week

ShangriLaLaLa Tue 14-Feb-17 08:04:20

Oh thank you. Maybe I will pack some stroppy sandals after all!

ShangriLaLaLa Tue 14-Feb-17 08:05:21

Strappy, not stroppy. Although if tempers get frayed, as they inevitably do...

TinfoilHattie Tue 14-Feb-17 08:05:41

We did Lisbon one January and it was a bit wet one day but considerably warmer than in the UK!

We did the tourist bus thing which is a great way of getting your bearings around the city and letting you find out what you'd like to see more of. The Gulbenkian museum is fabulous, but maybe not so child-friendly. We liked the Belem area with the tower and the monastery nearby. Also the new town area down by the river. It's a lovely city and you'll have a great time.

Costacoffeeplease Tue 14-Feb-17 08:17:54

Where are you staying ShangriLa and how long? Will you be here for Carnaval?

ShangriLaLaLa Tue 14-Feb-17 08:37:52

Just a few days to recharge the batteries in VilaVita, so we'll unfortunately miss the main events. I like wandering along the beach at Armacao de Pera, though I don't think there'll be much going on. But that works for me too!

Costacoffeeplease Tue 14-Feb-17 08:39:57

Very nice - I love being here in winter, when it's nice and quiet, the peak months are always a bit of a trial grin

Otherpeoplesteens Tue 14-Feb-17 10:37:28

PossibiliTea if you're going for a long weekend, it would make sense to make your day trip to Cascais on the Monday when everywhere else is closed.

Cais do Sodré railway station is down by the river opposite the TimeOut food market. You can take the metro from Pombal (change at Baixa-Chiado), but it's only a brisk 15 minute walk down the Avenida da Liberdade to Restauradores/Rossio, and another 12 mins or so to the station if it's a nice day.

PossibiliTea Tue 14-Feb-17 23:03:52

I've not dared check the weather now so I don't jinx it! Yes ShangriLaLaLa pop along!

Perfect thank you so much for the tips they are all much appreciated. Can't wait to get there now smile

FacelikeaBagofHammers Sat 18-Feb-17 20:09:39

Hi! I'm heading for a 2 night (child-free!) break to Lisbon next week - does anyone have any good restaurant recommendations? Doesn't have to be fine dining, just something with a bit of life to it and some local style food!

Also any nice bars you might recommend? Need to make the most of this trip smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now