Talk

Advanced search

Newborn and grandparents

(10 Posts)
anametouse Sun 05-Feb-17 12:42:16

DS is 8 weeks, we want a weeks holiday in April for us and his grandad (who likes pubs) and grandma (who likes afternoon tea) - they aren't a couple (his dad, my mum)

I'd rather not fly, would love a boat trip but not from the southern ports (we live up north). I'm afraid we don't like france.

Any ideas?

Iamastonished Sun 05-Feb-17 12:58:25

You don't like the whole of France? Why?

If you don't need to go away during the school holidays I would avoid a week either side of Easter.

What about holidaying in the UK instead?

madeleinecreek Sun 05-Feb-17 13:32:07

Holland?

Brown76 Sun 05-Feb-17 13:38:07

Baby friendly cottage in the U.K. - I've done this with grandparents and baby. Maybe use two cars so daily trips to tea rooms and pubs, country walks or interesting towns. easy to pack as much baby stuff as you like, if it rains you'll have telly, toys and plenty of room to roam around in unlike a hotel.

savagehk Sun 05-Feb-17 13:45:06

Netherlands is ferry-able, and you may still see the tulips early April (check opening dates/times for Keukenhof)

anametouse Sun 05-Feb-17 13:45:10

I know it sounds bad but I've been to france 14x over the years and never enjoyed a single time. For a variety of reasons but I just wouldn't look forward to a holiday there.

Any suggestions for where in holland?

madeleinecreek Sun 05-Feb-17 13:59:07

I loved Edam and monnickendam, alkmaar nice. Some of the beachy places near alkmaar on the west coast. I'd suggest with a tiny baby that your priority will be finding a nice place to actually stay, so I'd have a look for nice places on airbnb (a windmill?) - we stayed in alkmaar and drove all over (including texel) very easily as it is quite small. Easy trains to Amsterdam from alkmaar too.

savagehk Sun 05-Feb-17 14:09:01

I enjoyed Delft and Amsterdam. If there are 5 of you in a car might get tight. Keukenhof isn't too far from either and there's an inclusive ticket combined with bus from Amsterdam. In my experience Dutch trains connect most places fairly frequently too. I think either Edam or Gouda is supposed to be very pretty, I've not been though.

anametouse Sun 05-Feb-17 15:02:20

Brilliant - thank you smile

Cloeycat Sun 05-Feb-17 15:06:49

Ireland? Ferry from Liverpool. Plenty of pubs and most nice hotels and cafes do afternoon tea

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now