Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Vienna or Berlin - hints and tips please

(15 Posts)
Whatwilltheweatherbe Tue 31-Jan-17 21:38:31

Hi

I'm looking at the weekend away for DP big birthday and flights look good to either Berlin or Vienna.

He travels quite a bit to Germany for work, but not Berlin.

Anyone been to both cities, which would be the best for a special birthday?

Thanks

Whatwilltheweatherbe Tue 07-Feb-17 18:55:18

Bump

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Tue 07-Feb-17 19:16:09

Haven't been to Vienna, so can't compare, but Berlin is amazing.

fuckingwall Tue 07-Feb-17 19:20:24

Would teens like Berlin?

Sparkletastic Tue 07-Feb-17 19:24:56

Only been to Berlin but it is a fantastic city. Depends what you are into but Berlin is so cool.

ooerrmissus Tue 07-Feb-17 19:28:04

Vienna fabulous, loads to do and really quite a compact city centre so you can walk around the main attractions. Get on the metro to Schonnbrun Palace, very quick and easy. Very beautiful place for a weekend.

Also it is practically the law to eat Sachertorte at every meal grin

pseudonymph Tue 07-Feb-17 19:38:15

I've been to both.

Vienna's gorgeous - great cafes, Klimt and other Secessionist stuff everywhere, cake, cafes, fascinating history, phenomenal museums, did I mention cake?

Berlin is also great fun - it's not quite so much my thing, but I think a lot of people like it more. It's edgier and more modern - also fascinating history and museums though. Also great shopping - there's a dress I saw on Mulackstrasse I still regret not buying (and clubs if you're into it).

So it depends a bit on what you like. Which are your favourite cities otherwise?

I'm not sure where the teens come into in, but I'd guess they'd prefer Berlin.

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Tue 07-Feb-17 19:41:57

Berlin brilliant for teens.

londonfeather Tue 07-Feb-17 19:44:46

Berlin is so amazing and cool. Didn't really like Vienna went we went - pretty but not much going on if you're not into opera and it doesn't have that same cool vibe berlin does with lots of independent places to eat, drink, art galleries etc

whirlygirly Tue 07-Feb-17 19:46:13

Berlin is a fascinating place, some brilliant museums and it's amazing at Christmas time. We loved it, my parents really didn't.

Vienna is pretty but less to see in our opinion - we did do a day trip to Bratislava though which I'd highly recommend.

Have you considered Prague?

Longdistance Tue 07-Feb-17 19:48:33

Berlin is great.

Vienna's ok, but I wouldn't bother with kids as I'd go to the opera.

Yy, to Prague.

Whatwilltheweatherbe Tue 07-Feb-17 19:48:36

Thanks guys.

We loved Barcelona, food, things to see, general mooching around.

Open to any other city suggestions too, thanks 😊

Winglet Tue 07-Feb-17 21:45:44

I've not been to Berlin in years and never to Vienna so can't really help, but funnily enough there is a series on BBC player at the moment about this. Rick Stein's long weekends and both cities were features as part of the series. Worth a watch!

whirlygirly Wed 08-Feb-17 18:54:23

We loved krakow too. Unexpectedly so - it's beautiful and wonderfully cheap. Lots of history too, the Schindler's factory museum, loads of cafes and quirky little shops.

Amsterdam is another good city break, as is Budapest. smile

Whatwilltheweatherbe Wed 08-Feb-17 21:56:22

Thank you Winglet, will take a look at that.

Thanks everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now