Talk

Advanced search

Have you stayed on Capri?

(20 Posts)
taketwofluffykittens Mon 30-Jan-17 07:40:49

Late summer break, DH & me with the DC for 5 days.
I've been to Sorrento and loved it but Capri looks so romantic.
I presume we could get boat trips down the Amalfi coast and over to Sorrento if necessary.
Tell me it's just like Talented Riply?

taketwofluffykittens Mon 30-Jan-17 07:41:19

Sorry, no DC

catinbooots Mon 30-Jan-17 07:58:52

I visited for a day trip when staying on the amalfi coast. It was very pretty but very touristy.

HelenDenver Mon 30-Jan-17 08:01:24

How late in summer? End of August? I think it will be rammed.

I'd stay on the mainland and take a day trip.

taketwofluffykittens Mon 30-Jan-17 08:24:42

Thanks. I'm thinking second week in September so the schools will be back. DH hates crowds.
Looking at hotel reviews the market seems to be dominated by American honeymooners.
Maybe we could do 2 centre?

user1471422867 Mon 30-Jan-17 08:28:44

We got married in Sorrento and then had a few days on Capri. Yes it's touristy in the day but at night it is a completely different place. It was lovely. We just stayed in our hotel during the day, round the pool and went out when the day trippers had gone home. Oh and we were there mid September.

HelenDenver Mon 30-Jan-17 08:30:28

Oh, September will be better. We stayed away from the town a bit off season and it was nice.

HelenDenver Mon 30-Jan-17 08:32:29

Here:

www.ilgirasole.com/en/m-index

friskybivalves Mon 30-Jan-17 09:27:04

Ischia much nicer IMHO. Amazing hotel called Il Monastero. If you don't have mobility issues (it's high up in a castle overlooking the sea and down a private causeway) its spectacular and not as far as I remember €€€

friskybivalves Mon 30-Jan-17 09:28:00

I mean, Capri is larvely if you want to shop in Prada and pay €20 for a cappuccino bit otherwise...

Underparmummy Mon 30-Jan-17 14:32:35

September in Capri will be lovely. Staying on Capri and doing the boat trips to Sorrento, Amalfi etc the other way to most people is actually a lot less busy too!

There are some lovely hidden parts, it is not just about the obvious places and prada and expensive cappuccino suggests a poster than didn't stroll more than 100 yards from where the funicular drops you off!

Underparmummy Mon 30-Jan-17 14:33:48

I would personally stay in Capri town rather than Anacapri though.

Greenteandchives Mon 30-Jan-17 14:39:12

We loved Capri. Stayed in the Minerva. As a pp said, it is lovely when the day trippers have gone. So pretty to stroll around, and I remember the scent of flowers everywhere. It isn't too expensive away from the main square, but the people watching opportunity in the piazzetta is worth the price of a limoncello.

ThinkPinkStink Mon 30-Jan-17 15:45:27

We also stayed at the Minerva back in 2013 and can't fault our stay - we had a LOVELY time.

As pp have said, it's a different island before the hovercrafts of tourists arrive and after they leave. So we especially enjoyed the early mornings and later evenings.

We took ourselves on some beautiful coastal walks and saw some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen, it's genuinely breathtaking.

Contrary to expectation we found eating out both over priced and a bit disappointing.

If we were to do it again we'd probably stay in Sorrento for four nights and in Capri for two.

hollyisalovelyname Mon 30-Jan-17 16:23:39

I preferred Capri to Ischia.
I stayed a week on both.

RoccoW14 Wed 01-Feb-17 15:27:20

Capri is very nice and I'd happily recommend even going there in high season.

Most of the time during the day you'll likely be relaxing by your hotel pool, at one of the beaches or on a boat trip around the coast.. in other words, not impacted by the crowds.

The hordes of tourists come in for day trips and flock to the town centre. By mid / late afternoon, it's a completely different proposition in town.. serene, even!

rosesandcashmere Wed 01-Feb-17 15:29:55

Sardinia was pretty much completely shut in September (no dc), there was hardly anywhere open to eat or drink and all closed very early or sporadically. Our hotel staff said this was common all over Italy - a shut down at the end of august - so I would double check. It also rained a lot which didn't help but the beaches were beautiful! I realise this isn't Capri but that's even smaller and we were in a tourist 'resort' so do double check that there will be things there for you in Sept.

maitaimojito Wed 01-Feb-17 15:41:52

We stayed in Sorrento the last week of September and did a day trip to Capri. Everything is definitely still open at that time of year and it was busy enough for us then (can't imagine what it must be like in August!). The weather was lovely as well.

We didn't see all of Capri as we just did a day trip but it was beautiful. We went up Anacapri the chairlift and the views at the top are incredible.

I think I'd possibly stay there a couple of nights and then go to the mainland and stay in Sorrento again as it's easy enough to get a bus/boat to the Amalfi coast and we loved Sorrento town. The food is amazing!

Underparmummy Thu 09-Feb-17 13:14:16

Capri starts to shut down slowly over the month of October.

popflos Mon 13-Feb-17 12:57:13

we were in sorrento for new year and went over to capri for the day and quickly decided sorrento suited us better..
we stayed on a boat which i cannot recommend highly enough, and took the boat to capri and could have paid more for a trip to amalfi, it was fantastic. so much more fun than a hotel and at that time of year cheaper too. (family with 3 teens) we also stayed in amalfi/positano but sorrento had far more to offer, great food obviously!
www.capaseccayacht.it/ also on airbnb and booking.com

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now