Talk

Advanced search

can you help us choose a holiday?

(6 Posts)
jobnockey Tue 24-Jan-17 09:37:53

Hello!

Really stuck on what to do for a holiday this year so am looking for inspiration, I’m hoping the combined holiday power of mumsnet will be able to help!

For the last couple of years we’ve been camping in france in a campervan. We have no campervan anymore (sob) so looking at different options. We have loved these holiday as it’s been great exploring, we like catering for ourselves and DS (now 8) has lots of kids to play with. With this in mind we are considering another French holiday but staying in a cabin/safari tent type or our own tent.

BUT – we are also open to other options. We don’t have a huge budget (around £1500 or so) but may be able to afford a flight + accommodation somewhere? We’re thinking either 2 weeks or 10 days within the last couple of weeks of summer hols

This is our criteria:
1.Shared swimming pool so DS can make friends (however, DP and I would like to avoid anywhere too hectic/ ‘eurocampy’)
2.Interesting area/activities to explore nearby – don’t mind hiring a car for a few days but don’t want to rely on it too much.(i.e. need other things to do than just sit on a beach/round the pool the whole time )
3.Self catering
4.Nice weather but not too ridiculously hot.
5.Beach would be nice but not absolutely necessary especially if near lake/river
6.DP would like to be near an interesting city

Any suggestions??? We can’t settle on any ideas!

mummymeister Tue 24-Jan-17 14:28:25

Not really sure you are going to be able to tick all your boxes on that budget. would it not be easier to go abroad and hire a motorhome if that's what you really enjoy doing?

lovelyupnorth Tue 24-Jan-17 17:19:22

I'd suggest flying from Scotland to Spain at the end of August - flights cheaper then staying in a villa booked direct we found a cracker via a local seek and sell sight.

It cost us £400 for the villa and £450 for the flights then we hired a car. We where south of Alicante with a shared pool so kids could mingle if wished and close to lots of things to do but not too close. Not my ideal holiday but the kids wanted to go to Spain.

lovelyupnorth Tue 24-Jan-17 17:20:31

Should add 2 adults and 2 dds

jobnockey Thu 26-Jan-17 12:31:04

Hiya, thanks for the replies.

flying from Scotland would be logistically difficult as we're in London. however, have looked at a couple fo places in spain - the cheaper ones tend to be a bit too 'resort-y' however..

have seen a cheapish package deal to Greece which we may go for... would need some extra money for spends but just about do-able!

emski1972 Thu 09-Feb-17 21:29:26

I read your list of criteria...which sounds like mine and if you like camping this might tick your boxes.
My kids made some lovely friends
we made fires next to and swam in the river
loads to do in the region
I hadn't been to one of these camps before but loved it!
www.leportdelimeuil.com/en/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now