Talk

Advanced search

Where in Ireland with a teenager

(5 Posts)
Branleuse Mon 23-Jan-17 12:57:03

Im thinking of taking my 16 year old for a few days this summer to Ireland.
I was thinking about Dublin, but worried it will be all based on pubs and drinking and we wont get the most from it. Is Dublin good for teenagers, or is there somewhere else recommended more?

We do like scenery and stuff, which im sure we wouldnt get in dublin, but I dont really want to hire a car, so that puts some of the more rural stuff out I imagine.

He has ASD and hypermobility, so most activity holidays would be out too, but he does quite like museums and galleries

wizardinthegarden Tue 24-Jan-17 20:29:22

Plenty of museums in Dublin, that's for sure.
Kilmainham jail is v popular and easily accessed from city centre, national museum and gallery are in the city centre. Dublinia is an interesting Viking exhibition located near Christ Church cathedral. There's also a great new exhibition on 1916 on the GPO.

You would easily be able to get a tour to Wicklow for scenery, or even make your own way to Enniskerry or Glendalough. You could also take the train (Dart) to Bray and take the cliff walk to Greystones...easily doable in a day.

Obviously there are lots of pubs, but enough going on in restaurants to have a bit of atmosphere if you go out in the evening.

wizardinthegarden Tue 24-Jan-17 20:33:23

Disclaimer: I my kids are under 10, I know nothing about teenagers, but I do know Dublin and surrounds😊

Forgot to mention you could probably get a trip to Newgrange too.

TheElephantofSurprise Tue 24-Jan-17 20:35:59

Dublin is ace for museums and for gigs. What kind of music does he like? There's more there than traditional music, if that isn't his thing.

Branleuse Wed 25-Jan-17 12:09:57

thankyou for these answers. He likes all sorts of music, I think he would like traditional stuff, as would I. I like the sounds of those day trips

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now