Talk

Advanced search

Amsterdam with kids aged 7 and 9

(13 Posts)
ThisIsNotARealAvo Sun 22-Jan-17 19:56:15

I have been to Amsterdam a few times for short breaks with DH, but not for a few weeks. We are going for 3 days in Feb half term with our two adopted DC (only mentioning that they are adopted as they have only been with us for 18 months and have never been abroad before). We are staying in air bnb fairly centrally and will have 2 full days to explore a bit. DC like hands on museums, animals, things like parks, climbing, swimming. Has anyone been with kids this age and what would you recommend? We will probably go to the zoo but not sure what else.

superram Sun 22-Jan-17 19:59:27

We went on a boat tour, just over an hour-they sell hot chocolate and wine!

Misty9 Sun 22-Jan-17 21:46:02

Definitely the science museum by the railway station - nemo I think? It was amazing. Lovely parks too.

notMarlene Sun 22-Jan-17 21:51:10

Yes, nemo. It's is unmissable.

Soozikinzi Sun 22-Jan-17 21:53:38

Van Gogh museum was stunning when I went but it was a long time ago!

capercaillie Sun 22-Jan-17 21:56:36

Boat trip definitely! We had one you could get on and off.

Nemo was good but very busy - go early.
Vondelpark also nice for a wander and space to run around

GlitterGlue Sun 22-Jan-17 22:02:40

Another vote for Nemo. Don't miss the science lab and the hands on bit on the very bottom floor. The show is also worth watching. They are closed on Mondays except during Dutch school holidays.

notMarlene Mon 23-Jan-17 20:00:55

A lot of things are closed on Monday morning / Monday actually. Worth bearing in mind.

A quick train journey to Leiden for Nataralis and / or Corpus is well worth considering. Dutch trains are lovely to use, a lot are double dekkers which never cease to fascinate my DC confused. Nice botanical gardens too.

notMarlene Mon 23-Jan-17 20:02:01

(botanical gardens in Leiden, not on the top deck of the trains. Would understand the fascination then)

badhotfanny Mon 23-Jan-17 20:12:20

We went last weekend. Nero was AMAZING! Five hours in and we didn't want to leave.

We also went to zaanse schans windmill living museum. Only 15 minutes out of centraal station. Quiet and beautiful.

badhotfanny Mon 23-Jan-17 20:12:34

Nemo, of course.

ilovesooty Mon 23-Jan-17 20:36:04

Try to get to the cat boat opposite Singel 40. You can visit the rescue cats and give a donation.

ThisIsNotARealAvo Mon 23-Jan-17 22:47:26

All great suggestions! Love the sound of the cat boat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now