Talk

Advanced search

Family holiday - The Gower?

(11 Posts)
silkysausage Sun 22-Jan-17 09:38:41

I really fancy exploring the area but have never been before. Is there enough for the dc's to do if the weather isn't great for the beach? We are looking at renting a cottage but I don't have the first clue on where to stay. Any tips/recommendations would be appreciated.

TroysMammy Sun 22-Jan-17 09:53:56

There is a Heritage Centre in Parkmill. Perriswood in Penmaen, indoor archery and shooting. Castles, Weobly, Oxwich, Oystermouth, depends when you are going as I think they close in the winter. Mumbles, pier, amusement arcade with a small bowling alley. Swansea centre, cinemas, museums, bowling, swimming, Plantasia.

Go on the Visit Wales and Welsh Tourist Board websites. I couldn't really recommend places except a friend of my sister who has a barn holiday let because I live in Swansea smile.

Hope you have a car because the frequency of buses around the Gower is dire.

TroysMammy Sun 22-Jan-17 10:05:31

I've pm'd you with some accommodation info.

dreamingofsun Sun 22-Jan-17 12:35:33

we rented a cottage for we week and loved it. stayed the swansea end of the gower as it was easier to drive around.

parklives Sun 22-Jan-17 12:50:03

Gower is beautiful but make sure you have nice accommodation so that you don't mind a day or too inside as the weather is changeable.

lapsedorienteerer Sun 22-Jan-17 20:17:33

Slightly against other posts, I'm afraid I was totally underwhelmed by the Gower (very small area hemmed in by the M4 and Swansea). I much prefer Pembrokeshire for the space and beaches.......don't shout me down, just my opinion grin.

parklives Mon 23-Jan-17 12:24:51

It's true Pembrokeshire is nicer, but the op wants to go to the Gower.

CelticPromise Mon 23-Jan-17 12:30:34

There's a couple of soft play places too that might be handy for a rainy day. I love Gower but it is quite weather dependent.

dreamingofsun Mon 23-Jan-17 12:43:38

both pembrokeshire and the gower are nice - we have had good holidays in each renting a cottage. we did one week north pembr. and another week south pembrok on one 2 week holiday and we did gower one week and brecon another week on another 2 week holiday.

3 cliffs bay beach is spectacular. as are a number of others on the gower. we also liked the proximity to swansea as it allowed for some retail therapy which my kids appreciated. also like the harbour area.

silkysausage Mon 23-Jan-17 16:08:01

Hmm...some food for thought there, ESP the pembrokeshire idea, might have a look at some places there too! Thanks all x

CelticPromise Mon 23-Jan-17 17:59:19

Pembrokeshire is glorious but even less to do in bad weather I should think. Swansea has got the Waterfront Museum, swimming pool with slides etc. But there is Bluestone for accommodation in Pembrokeshire, which has a good rep and indoor swimming.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now