Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Flying & pregnancy

(8 Posts)
delawar Thu 19-Jan-17 07:47:16

Hi I have a question about flying and late pregnancy , I have yet to confirm pregnancy and therefore panicking about nothing maybe . But we are due to fly when I will be 33 + 5 weeks and land in U.K. When I will 35+5 now the airline say they will allow travel up till 36 weeks as long as a certificate stating fit and well. , now my question is has anybody ever flown so late and what is the worst / or worrying reason behind it ,no where seems to state the reason I did wonder if it's incase you labour , it's a four hr flight .

Closetlibrarian Sat 21-Jan-17 21:52:51

The reason is, I think, because they (understandably) don't want you going into labour on the plane.
The other thing to check is your travel insurance (i.e. that it covers you to fly light)

BluePheasant Sat 21-Jan-17 21:56:13

You're at higher risk of getting DVT when pregnant too.

Cloeycat Sat 21-Jan-17 21:58:11

Depends how long your flight is. I flew last week at 33 weeks and have no problems- paid for a fit to fly cert that the airline didn't even bother looking at. But I am low risk and my flight was only an hour.

mummymeister Sat 21-Jan-17 23:12:15

I don't think any airline is going to take you tbh particularly for the return journey. this is quite a long flight and the dates you are working on are not 100% accurate so you could actually be over 36 weeks. you have no idea how you are going to feel by then, what complications you might have in your pregnancy. if you are feeling this worried and the pregnancy isn't even confirmed then honestly I would just cancel it once you find out you are pregnant. otherwise you will just be worrying the whole time and its only a holiday - just not worth it.

AuntieMay Tue 31-Jan-17 19:57:05

I flew ksa to U.K at 36 weeks pregnant, (8 hr flight) had a Drs note which wasn't even looked at! No problems whatsoever.
- many many women fly long and short haul up to 36/37 weeks.
Obviously if your pregnancy becomes more complicated/ problematic that's different but for a normal uncomplicated pregnancy it's not unusual

Iamastonished Tue 31-Jan-17 21:56:32

"many many women fly long and short haul up to 36/37 wee

I thought airlines were quite strict about the 36 week cut off?

AliceMum09 Wed 01-Feb-17 21:17:28

I flew back from Italy at 35 weeks and a few days pregnant. That was with BA. I probably wouldn't normally have gone abroad for a week that late in pregnancy (it was my second baby) but I had agreed to be a bridesmaid for my best friend prior to getting pregnant and didn't want to let her down!

I did get a letter from my midwife, I had a trouble-free pregnancy just like with my first, and I never felt 'massive' so nobody at the airport or on the plane even looked twice at me or asked how many weeks pregnant I was. Plus my first baby was a week overdue so I wasn't really at high risk of giving birth early.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now