Talk

Advanced search

UK to Iceland - wheelchair user

(7 Posts)
tribpot Sat 14-Jan-17 10:55:00

I'm planning a trip to Iceland this year with my DH, who is a wheelchair user. He would not be able to walk up the steps to a plane, but could just about walk a row or two from the plane door.

Our nearest airport with direct flights is Manchester but it's all budget airlines - EasyJet and IcelandAir. The thought of trying to survive the rampage on to an EasyJet flight with someone in a wheelchair fills me with horror.

Does anyone have any experience of using a wheelchair on either airline? I think I would prefer to fly via Heathrow on BA, or maybe Amsterdam with KLM.

Kaffiene Sat 14-Jan-17 11:14:20

Hi We have flown loads with DD who uses a wheelchair incl Ryanair, EasyJet, American, Jet2 etc

It's actually the airport staff who provide most of the support. Some airports have open days and other support, try googling Manchester airport and special Assistence

This link should also be useful
www.easyjet.com/en/help/preparing-to-fly/special-assistance

dibbley Sat 14-Jan-17 11:18:56

When I've flown with easy jet, any passengers with wheelchairs always board first and then wait till everyone else leaves the plane at the destination. Airport staff always help.

Kaffiene Sat 14-Jan-17 11:19:58

When you check in they will call special Assistence people who will take you through security etc. If he can't make to walk through they swan the chair and do a pat search.

So if he can't manage the stairs you get a thing called an ambilift. It's a truck with a lifting arm. You get taken from the gate in the trunk to the plane and board from the other side of the plane to the stairs. They usually seat you in row 3 or just behind speedy boarders. If he can't manage the few steps they have a special narrow wheelchair which fits down the aisle and then you transfer into your seat.

You can also use that chair if you need it to get to the onboard toilet.

Special Assistence meet you at the other end and take you through the airport, passport control etc

We ask to get DDs chair back at the plane or they bring one of the airport Ines and you get yours back at Bagage reclaim.

GarlicBreadItsTheFuture Sat 14-Jan-17 11:51:03

I've flown with Iceland Air and wouldn't describe them as budget and the staff are lovely why don't you contact them for support. Surely much worse to have to board multiple planes travelling via London or Amsterdam.

tribpot Sat 14-Jan-17 21:17:12

Thanks all - lots of very helpful information.

NicknameUsed Sun 15-Jan-17 19:08:32

We fly from Manchester a lot. I think nearly all the planes use jet tunnels to board. It tends to be at the other end where there aren't any, so you need to find out what assistance is available at Reykjavik.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now