Talk

Advanced search

Venice - where to stay

(19 Posts)
NewYearNewLife53 Sat 14-Jan-17 02:48:29

Would like to treat dd for a long weekend. Has anyone any recommendations for hotel or self-catering. Can't be massive amount of money but needs to be in city centre. Twin beds at the least. Walking distance of main sights.

ploughyourownfurrow Sat 14-Jan-17 03:53:46

Monasteries are fairly inexpensive but v. v. basic. Usually clean. Monastery stays.com does a selection. Otherwise, Air bnb. Sometimes during winter you can get some good discounts by ringing up individual hotels. Look in areas away from busy St Mark's Sq. iescape.com is always reliable in descriptions of offer.

Tarbert Sat 14-Jan-17 04:21:54

We stayed at the Hotel Panorama on the Lido. It is right next to the ferry port and therefore a very short trip into the heart of Venice. DH was really annoyed with me for booking it, but, he changed his mind when we got there and he saw how close it is / the value for money.

SJane45S Sat 14-Jan-17 19:43:32

I've stayed on the Lido and in the city itself and personally, it was a more fabulous experience actually being in the city. We stayed at Ca Bragadin Carabba which was great and didn't cost the earth. It's in a little square and sitting in your room with the big windows open, you really feel in Venice! There's a fridge in the room and a little supermarket a minute away so it was easy to buy some food in to take out to help keep costs down. It's a lovely city, much nicer out of high season, have fun!

NewYearNewLife53 Thu 19-Jan-17 13:37:55

Thanks for the suggestions.

SJane45S , did you book it independently or through an agency? Is it in walking distance of the main sights? I would like to be in the city as I think it'd be more memorable and special for dd

SJane45S Thu 19-Jan-17 17:01:48

We booked it through Expedia (I think!). It's about 5 minutes from the Rialto Bridge, entered through an alleyway but looking out over a small square. We had a huge room with very big windows - it was lovely! It's hidden away but not far at all to all the main sites. You can get the airport taxi boat to drop you off near the Rialto and it's a short walk from there. The only negative would be that we would never have found it if it's not been for a Youtube video that walks you through how to get there.

It's not a 5 star big luxury hotel but you're not paying 5 star luxury hotel prices either. I really liked it, tripadvisor page below for you!

www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187870-d1156287-Reviews-Ca_Bragadin_Carabba-Venice_Veneto.html

Madbengalmum Thu 19-Jan-17 20:29:54

Palazzo peruta, very central and very large rooms for venice standards. Three mins walk to st marks square. Excellent value for the quality recieved and breakfast is decent too.

NewYearNewLife53 Thu 19-Jan-17 21:59:36

Thanks! I will check all these out!

Notsoskinnyminny Sun 22-Jan-17 17:24:58

We've stayed at the Hotel Ala a couple of times. Its about 5 mins from St Marks Square and 10 from the Rialto bridge. Best of all there are no bridges to cross, its less than a minute up a passageway from where you get off the ferry from the airport and they let you check in from 1pm although this time we were able to check in at 11.30am. The breakfasts are good as well.

We've booked direct after finding it on a hotel website and they often have better deals.

Underparmummy Fri 27-Jan-17 11:17:20

Ive booked Dimora Dogale for May. All the little b and bs are fine. Id chose location.

Underparmummy Fri 27-Jan-17 11:18:58

..location over comfort!

DeliveredByKiki Sun 05-Feb-17 02:07:49

marking place

rookiemere Sun 05-Feb-17 08:51:38

We stayed at the Hotel Antico Doge, not super cheap but good value by Venice standards. Nice opulent rooms, great wifi and a good breakfast, plus well located for the sights.

Rosa Sun 05-Feb-17 08:56:12

www.aisognatorivenezia.com/

Its a bit of a pain to find - but owners are really helpful and will give you maps and sugestions . Its cheap , good location , small and informal . and clean.

Rosa Sun 05-Feb-17 08:57:39

I know a fair bit about accommodation ( and Venice in general smile ) so ask away if you have questions ..and if I fall off the thread send me a PM

Paffle Sun 05-Feb-17 08:59:52

My general experience of Venice was that "not too expensive" wasn't really a thing. grin

BlondeBecky1983 Sun 05-Feb-17 09:04:11

We stayed in a stunning hotel called Hotel Sant'Antonin. It was stunning and really reasonable. Felt like an oasis. We had the garden room and it was beautiful with a little private garden. Felt like we'd found a hidden gem.

www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187870-d5773615-Reviews-Hotel_Sant_Antonin-Venice_Veneto.html

eurochick Sun 05-Feb-17 09:09:02

We kept the cost down when we went by staying in a hotel right next to the station on the mainland. Then we just hopped on the train which brings you right up to the grand canal. This worked well for us.

NewYearNewLife53 Sun 05-Feb-17 15:33:41

Thank-you so much everyone for the suggestions.
Rosa* - will pm you in a few weeks. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now