Talk

Advanced search

Will the cost of holidaying in Italy frighten the Sh**t out of me?

(17 Posts)
Coffeefacescrub Thu 12-Jan-17 14:58:46

We are planning with another family to go to Italy for ten days this summer.
Flying into Rome, staying in air n b or camper on campsite along coast, then a bnb in Naples.

I am already scared by a) how busy everything seems b) how pricey!

Is this going to unfold as a horror story?

cheerup Thu 12-Jan-17 17:38:27

Italy is not a cheap destination but doesn't have to be expensive either. Easy to eat well cheaply - panini and a beer or slice of pizza and for lunch, free beach, go for a stroll and aperitivo before self catering accommodation local ingredients based dinner rather than swishy beach club and dinner in a smart restaurant. Lots to spend on if you want to but equally possible to do it on a reasonable budget. I find we spend about the same as we would at home if we were doing similar things.

cluecu Thu 12-Jan-17 20:21:04

I've visited quite a bit of italy in the last few years (amalfi coast, naples, rome, lake garda, venice, verona & milan) and was able to find reasonable drinks and meals everywhere tbh. Of course there were expensive options too but there was never not a cheaper option APART FROM CAPRI (but that was only a day trip and we had a portion of chips and small pasta between us).

Boats on garda are dear but trains and buses mega cheap and the gelato a couple of euros the wine similar...would go back in a heartbeat and i am a fairly frugal person in my normal life smile

FannyUmbongo Thu 12-Jan-17 20:23:13

Fill your case with mosquito repellent.

SJane45S Thu 12-Jan-17 20:42:30

I've spent a lot of time in Italy & it's not Eastern European cheap but not more expensive than here and certainly a lot cheaper than Scandanavia. I assume you'll be self catering a lot & you'll be able to get really good bread, ham, cheese, pesto etc.
As Cluecu says, public transport is cheap. You can book trains online is advance and they are much much cheaper than the Uk!
Don't panic - just stick to the same kind of pattern as you would holidaying here and there's no rreason it should cost you the earth. And your itinerary sounds good (except Naples, I'm not keen!).

Coffeefacescrub Fri 13-Jan-17 08:45:23

Cluecu - where did you stay when you visited? What sort of places?

Are the mossies really that bad?

Thanks all!

MrsRolly Fri 13-Jan-17 18:13:59

We stayed at a campsite called Camping Fabulous just outside Rome, bus stop right outside and brilliant facilities. If you can visit Ostio antica which are amazing ruins but nowhere near as busy again easy to get to on the bus.

Agree easy to find amazing food at reasonable prices just stay away from eating at any square near a tourist destination and follow the locals!

Have fun. We are going to go back in a few years.

Coffeefacescrub Fri 13-Jan-17 18:30:18

Mrs Rolly, what was the beach like at Camping Fabulous? and was there a pool? Thank you

Manijo Fri 13-Jan-17 20:19:50

I second all that pp said and just want to add that if you take ID out with you to show you're a tourists when visiting attractions , the kids get in for free...well they did a few years ago...worth checking on

MrsRolly Fri 13-Jan-17 21:56:21

Yes to free kids entry. Pool was amazing at camp fabulous beach is about 20 minutes away by bus we didn't go but our neighbours seemed to have a nice time! Take a waterbottle as well the water fountains)springs in Rome are incredible

sepsisandAKI Sat 14-Jan-17 08:20:02

Wow MrsRolly that looks a great campsite! Can I ask did you hire a car? I see it's not too far from the airport. Just wondering if you'd need one. Many thanks

SeaweedSa1ad Sat 14-Jan-17 08:24:24

When are you going over the summer? We went a couple of years ago end of July / beg of August and it was hot. We had an Airbnb place in Rome which thankfully had aircon. Rome was too hot and busy for sightseeing with kids IMHO.

Food was great though - supermarkets, restaurants and gelato of course.

Coffeefacescrub Sat 14-Jan-17 08:56:47

We are going third week in August...around 24...in Rome for two days just before school goes back

Manijo Sat 14-Jan-17 18:51:56

We went in August too and it was pretty hot but we lived in ME so used to it. We still had a fab time

MrsRolly Sun 15-Jan-17 10:07:51

No we didnt hire a car. we got a taxi to the camp site but they do run a shuttle service which we got back which was much cheaper! You can email them to find out more details.

sepsisandAKI Wed 18-Jan-17 20:42:09

Thanks to your recommendation mrsr we're all booked up to go now!flowers and thank you to coffee for starting the thread.

irregularegular Thu 19-Jan-17 13:49:43

I've always found most of Italy to be a lot cheaper than the UK

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now