Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about Croatia

(20 Posts)
Ollycat Tue 10-Jan-17 18:47:13

We're deciding where to go for a two week summer break- 2 adults and children 14 and 12.

We've been to all inclusive resorts in the Caribbean the last two years but fancy something a bit closer to home this year.

We are like looking for a villa with pool, near a beach. Would like to be nearish to an old town. We'll hire a car whilst there.

We went to Ibiza for October half term a year ago and loved it but feel it might be too busy in August.

We are considering Croatia- anyone been? Any top tips? Any other places we should consider??

Thank you xx

Florabella Wed 11-Jan-17 11:33:50

We stayed near Omis last year which is a nice old town. We also spent a few days stating at Plitvice National Park which was lovely. I really like Croatia - although beaches are more stoney than sandy

Lovelybangers Thu 12-Jan-17 20:22:07

I had a week near to Dubrovnik (Lapad area) last May (end of May). Didn't take any DC so can't say how it is for children.

Some fabulous scenery - I loved the food - and the wine!

There are various boat trips you can take to nearby islands etc

We did take a bus and boat trip down to Cavtat which is more of a resort town - still quite small area though.

I would love to go again and explore more.

Ollycat Thu 12-Jan-17 20:32:01

Thank you both - will look at those areas.

RozTheSchnoz Thu 12-Jan-17 21:01:34

We went to Rovinj when DS1 was about 14 months old. It was beautiful. Food was fantastic, beautiful scenery, you could just walk down into the sea from the paths and there was a forest for family bike rides.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Fri 13-Jan-17 20:24:32

We went to Istria last year, staying near Pula but we also visited Rovinj and Medulin which were both lovely.

ScarletForYa Fri 13-Jan-17 20:26:59

Gorgeous, went to Rovinj too.

Loved it, clean, beautiful, interesting and safe. Just bring booties for the beach as they are stony/ shingle.

popmimiboo Fri 13-Jan-17 21:29:08

We we to Zadar with 16, 14 and 10 year old dc last year and would recommend. Lovely old town, friendly people, v teen friendly.

Godotsarrived Sat 14-Jan-17 14:06:52

Can recommend Croatia entirely. I would be inclined to head to the islands. Each has a very different character, Hvar Town on Hvar is very lively with nice beaches close - it is one of the most popular so gets very busy. Korcula is pretty and much quieter - again with lovely beaches. Brac is stunning. Miljet is very rural and unspoiled.

I would also look at Split as holiday stop of point and Dubrovnik. Suggested internary for me would be 2 nights in Split - Catamaran to Hvar or Korcula , stay for a week and then Catamaran to Dubrovnik for 3 nights. Fly into Split and out of Dubrovnik or vice versa. Its a beautiful country.

Enjoy :-)

Ollycat Sat 14-Jan-17 14:25:31

Thank you do much everyone- fantastic suggestions- love the idea of 2 nights in Split etc. Any suggestions of companies to book accommodation through?

Sinkingfeeling Tue 17-Jan-17 23:46:24

We had a lovely holiday in Croatia last year - booked flights and then accommodation through AirBnb (large cottage with no swimming pool but its own jetty and private bay) which was fabulous.

Supermothras Wed 18-Jan-17 17:43:11

We had a week in Split with our 4 year old last September. It was fantastic. We stayed in an apartment we found on AirBnB which was a 5 min walk both the beach and Old Town. Loads of ferries to the islands and we had a wonderful day trip on a boat visiting Trogir, Solta and swimming in the blue lagoon. A wonderful holiday. Definitely recommend.

Ollycat Sun 05-Mar-17 08:42:14

Thanks so much for the help. We've booked a hol - villa in Korcula with a couple of nights in Split - very excited!!

whataboutbob Sun 05-Mar-17 22:04:20

Just be aware that Dubrovnik old town is horrendously busy in high summer. There are actual gridlocks as people try and enter through the medieval gates (the only way to get in). Then when you're in there's little opportunity to sit down somewhere quiet, no green spaces. I found it oppressive and would only consider going back outside of July/ August. Luckily we were only there 2 nights then off to Mljet island which could not have been more different.

whataboutbob Sun 05-Mar-17 22:05:29

OOPS sorry just read your last post. You should be fine, I haven't been to Split but I believe it's not as packed as Dub.

lindaelchiou Thu 23-Mar-17 11:02:46

Could anyone help?
I've booked a family holiday (7 night stay) in Croatia, and staying in an apartment in Split for the whole holiday.
I have two kids in tow 4 yrs and 18 months. We are happy to to day trips and the kids are fairly agreeable.
Just wondering if anyone has any suggested itineraries I could follow. Average budget, beaches, towns, culture, food, places - anything really that you would recommend? Much appreciated! L

liverpoolsfun Thu 23-Mar-17 13:26:07

We went last year, and hired a cottage with a pool. we stay
ed near a tourist hot spot and found restaurant prices the same as italy and Barcelona so not the cheapo place we were expecting but at the same time restaurants were very good.
We had a good time but were glad we had a pool as the place was heaving and the beach was packed. And you do need rubber shoes for the beach. having said that it was beautiful and we went snorkeling and on boat trips which were very reasonably priced and visited Split which was super. The teenage children had a great time

liverpoolsfun Thu 23-Mar-17 13:28:22

Trogir near split is a medieval town I would recomend visiting

cloughie100 Sun 26-Mar-17 19:32:56

Sinkingfeeling Would you recommend your airbnb? It sounds great with own pier

twofalls Sun 02-Apr-17 23:04:27

@ollycat - I am just looking at croatia. Who did you book accommodation/flights with. and if its not too rude what sort of price did you pay (don't worry if you don't want to share that info!).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: