Talk

Advanced search

Are Dorset or Devon good for holidays?

(24 Posts)
longestlurkerever Sat 07-Jan-17 21:58:30

We went to Cornwall last year which was lovely but the drive was grim from London with dcs 5 and 1 so we thought about stopping in Dorset or Devon for our Summer holiday this year. Are they as good, or will we wish we'd driven the extra to Cornwall? Where should we look at? Or should we ditch both and go to Brittany (a favourite, but we've been quite recently) or Portugal (somewhere we have never been)? We are after a traditional seaside holiday with some day trips and good food, and not too boiling.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Sat 07-Jan-17 22:05:37

I like the Jurassic coast much more than Cornwall. The costal villages between West Bay and Lyme Regis are all lovely and there is plenty to do in the area. It does get busy in the Summer holidays, but then so does Cornwall.

SomewhereNow Sat 07-Jan-17 22:07:54

Dorset is the best place in the UK for a traditional seaside holiday imo smile. We particularly like Swanage and the Purbeck area but as PP says, Lyme Regis area is also lovely.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Sat 07-Jan-17 22:08:27

Meant to say between Weymouth and Lyme Regis.

longestlurkerever Sat 07-Jan-17 22:09:16

Ooh thanks for the replies. I will get googling

BackforGood Sat 07-Jan-17 22:13:28

I agree Dorset is lovely. Fewer small coves than Cornwall - lots of lovely wider, open beaches. Great county for traditional holidays at the seaside - you can find things like donkey rides and trampoline, or you can find history, or wide open beaches etc.
Plus cream teas - what's ot to like ? grin

4yoniD Sat 07-Jan-17 22:18:32

Fossil hunting in, errrr, charmouth? Sorry if wrong name, was fantastic though! Don't call it the Jurassic coast for nothing. Also Weymouth sea life is great if your passing. Take kids bathers (although I don't know if you have kids!)

BonnesVacances Sat 07-Jan-17 22:23:13

Definitely.

Anywhere along the Jurassic Coast in Dorset is gorgeous. As is the coast around Dartmouth and Salcombe (not sure what it's called - it's probably got a name). That was a revelation to me last year, as up to then I had always stopped at Lyme Regis and seen no reason to go further.

Have a look at Becky Bettesworth's pictures. They will inspire you to visit Devon. (She has a lovely one of Lyme Regis too.)

NicknameUsed Sat 07-Jan-17 22:30:10

Both Dorset and Devon are excellent holiday destinations. I would suggest that you try and get a Sunday changeover. There is far less traffic on the roads.

longestlurkerever Sat 07-Jan-17 22:41:01

Thanks everyone, I'm feeling inspired

HelenaJustina Sat 07-Jan-17 22:42:23

We were near Salcombe last year, gorgeous and perfect British beach holiday for DC

NotCitrus Sat 07-Jan-17 22:47:08

NE Somerset/Devon border is also lovely and much less crowded - north of Porlock there's a bunch of chocolate-box villages, and just west of Minehead is lovely.

Or round Dorchester to Lyme Regis, though any traffic accident screws the A34 for ages and we were very unlucky. Lyme was great hit though.

HeadElf Sat 07-Jan-17 22:51:49

Julia Bradbury did a great programme last night on coastal walks and it was based on Studland, the Purbecks and Old Harry Rocks.
I like 15 mins from Sandbanks (2minute ferry to Studland) and would highly recommend it.
Staying anywhere near the Purbecks (Swanage, Weymouth or even Christchurch) would be fab! Happy to recommend any walks/activities/ restaurants x

Ktay Sat 07-Jan-17 22:55:06

Check out Pecorama in Beer if you find yourself in Lyme Regis area

AliMonkey Sat 07-Jan-17 23:15:08

We have spent many of our summer holidays in Dorset, Devon or Cornwall and love them all - but hate the drive to Cornwall! Have stayed in so many lovely places in Dorset, but suggest with your kids' ages that you stay somewhere that gives you access to some of Monkey World, Brownsea Island, Corfe Castle, Abbotsbury, Farmer Giles and of course the many beaches - our favourite is Studland but there's loads of lovely ones.
We've had a couple of lovely holidays in Devon - there's lots of farm parks etc, Dartmoor Zoo and Woodlands Leisure Park was always a hit, as well as beaches etc. If you're looking for a cottage, there's loads of lovely farms with a few cottages plus facilities like playground, animals to feed, etc in both Dorset and Devon.

MrTCakes Sat 07-Jan-17 23:20:46

I took ds to weymouth last year and we had a brilliant time. He particularly enjoyed the sealife centre and the 360° tower thing at the beach.

sippingginandlemon Sat 07-Jan-17 23:57:06

Anywhere along the Jurassic coast is fab. It doesn't take long to drive to wonderful places of interest.
Lulwoth cove
Durdle door
Dancing ledge
Swanage for a traditional seaside town for buckets and spades.
Durlston castle
Corfe castle
Blue pool
Boat rides at wareham quay
Studland beach (national trust)
Weymouth bay
Chesel beach
West bay
Lyme Regis
Fossil hunting at kimmeridge bay.

We love the Jurassic coast.
Lots to see inland too.
So much to do for all ages

longestlurkerever Sun 08-Jan-17 22:11:32

Thanks all. It sounds like Dorset is going to be a winner.

harridan50 Sun 08-Jan-17 22:13:34

Lyme regis......you will love it.

harridan50 Sun 08-Jan-17 22:16:06

In addition to other ideas
The donkey sanctuary
Monkey world
The swannary etc
Durdle door and Lulworth cove

sanityisamyth Sun 08-Jan-17 22:52:47

You've missed out Somerset!! It's great here too. Many lovely places in both Devon and Somerset, but we have lovely moorland, nice beaches, hills, flatlands (levels!) and some really pretty villages and cities (Wells and Bath!)

Notveryhappyvalley Mon 09-Jan-17 16:53:35

My DMIL lives in Seaton (just west of Lyme Regis) and I can heartily recommend Pecorama at Beer and the Donkey sanctuary at Sidmouth (free!) for days out. Think we've taken our DC's every year for last 10 years! Also all the places mentioned east of Lyme - Durdle door, Lulworth cove, Portland Bay, Chesil beach, fossil hunting etc are nice.

We've also had some nice holidays further into Devon and done Woodlands, Paignton Zoo, Dartmouth (steam train), Brixham area. Lots to do round there.

Definitely recommend Devon or Dorset if you like Cornwall.

user1485425394 Thu 26-Jan-17 10:55:08

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

user1485425394 Thu 26-Jan-17 10:58:40

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now