Talk

Advanced search

Sorrento area (Italy)

(36 Posts)
LIZS Fri 30-Dec-16 17:05:27

Want to visit for a week end of June. Any recommendations for accommodation please? Ideally 4*, pool, no small children (Dd's request!), al fresco dining with hb option, sea views, access to station ... Current quote is £5k plus for a week for 4 shock Also does anyone know about individual tours of Pompeii with access to non public areas.

birdsdestiny Fri 30-Dec-16 17:07:53

We have been to Italy a number of times, our experience of Sorrento was awful. I know this might not what you want to hear but wish someone had told us. Northern Italy every time for us.

LIZS Fri 30-Dec-16 17:10:46

Don't worry we visited Sorrento many years ago and it was very run down then but think it has improved somewhat. Tbh we felt same about lake Garda and were pleasantly surprised.

illegitimateMortificadospawn Fri 30-Dec-16 17:16:17

The worst thing about Sorrento was how busy it was - and how often restaurants tried to scalp us. sad much prefer northern Italy.

GettingTooOldForThis Fri 30-Dec-16 18:28:09

We went this year and stayed in the Hotel Plaza which was excellent. The pool was small but on the roof with great views. Highly recommend it as it's close to the main square, very clean and had great service.

SJane45S Mon 02-Jan-17 19:52:21

Have to agree - the only good thing about Sorrento is that it's easy to get to and a good base. Other than that it's over developed, run down and there much nicer places on the Amalfi coast. Definetely go to Amalfi coast (it's unforgettably lovely), just skip Sorrento!

Randonneur Mon 02-Jan-17 20:02:05

Hotel bel air fits the bill. Expensive though!

LIZS Mon 02-Jan-17 20:07:11

We're hoping a decent hotel will compensate for direness of Sorrento itself! Main reason for going is to visit Pompeii and Herculaneum so access to station important, and sadly rules Amalfi coast out this time. Will check suggestions out, thank you.

Whatabloodyidiot1 Mon 02-Jan-17 20:09:07

Sorrento is horrible, a dirty, packed with tourists and traffic hole! We went last year, luckily we were staying in positano and had only visited for the day on the way to Pompeii.
Sorrento is where the cruise ships dock and disgorge their thousands of day trippers to buy tourist tat and eat at shit fake Italian restaurants. Don't do it!

Whatabloodyidiot1 Mon 02-Jan-17 20:10:09

We easily got from positano to Pompeii? Not sure why you'd think it's not doable?

LamppostInWinter Mon 02-Jan-17 20:12:58

It's a while ago but we've stayed at the Bristol a few times and loved it.

Notthisnotthat Mon 02-Jan-17 20:14:01

We stayed at the Grand Hotel Aminta, just up the hill from the town centre, they ran a courtesy bus when we stayed.

Hassled Mon 02-Jan-17 20:17:15

I don't really understand why you don't think Pompeii/Herculaneum are doable from the Amalfi area - they're both pretty easy drives. Or are you going by train, hence the station references? But there are plenty of buses about on the Amalfi road (it's the SS163 if you want to check it out - SITA is the bus company). You could get to somewhere like Salerno and then train to Pompeii from there.

Justtrying Mon 02-Jan-17 20:20:07

Did Sorrento with Thomson about 8 years ago, can't remember the hotel but it was a 10 min walk into town. We stayed half Board and food was basic at breakfast, good at dinner but very much the blue rinse brigade.
Towels were like tea towels and whilst the pool was lovely it was unheated and very cold in July.

Did a tour to Pompeii and Versuvius which was closed due to a strike, but Pompeii is possible on your own if you buy the audio tour. Also did an Amalfi drive tour with a visit to Ravello which was lovely.

We visited Capri on the hydrofoil under our own steam and will return once Dd us older and do everything independently.

We loved Sorrento amazing Gelato, fab markets and very friendly people.

LIZS Mon 02-Jan-17 20:20:38

My vague recollection was that the drive around the coast took forever and was windy. Will take another look. We'd fly in to Naples and book resort transfer.

sotiredbutworthit Mon 02-Jan-17 20:25:57

I thought Sorrento was lovely!! We stayed at the Hilton which was a little way out of town. Amalfi was lovely as was Capri. Xxx

ifcatscouldtalk Mon 02-Jan-17 20:37:07

sotired The Hilton was where I had my honeymoon. Long time ago but if budget allows it was a beautiful hotel. Shame I can't afford to go back yet!

rookiemere Mon 02-Jan-17 20:39:28

Am looking at this thread as we are going to be in that area in October and I haven't booked accomodation yet.
Positana sounds and looks lovely. How long does it take from there to drive to Pompeii and Herculeum or get a boat trip to capri ?

SallyGinnamon Mon 02-Jan-17 20:46:43

£5k for a week for 4!!! Bin your brochures and sort it out for yourself and save a fortune!

kilmuir Mon 02-Jan-17 20:50:08

Hotel Vittoria was lovely

kilmuir Mon 02-Jan-17 20:52:20

Grand hotel excelsior Vittoria in fact!

SorrelSoup Mon 02-Jan-17 20:56:16

So glad we're off there this summer!!!

Badders123 Mon 02-Jan-17 20:57:57

We stayed at the alpha in st Agnello juts outside sorrento
Was lovely

SJane45S Mon 02-Jan-17 20:58:52

There's a ferry that runs from Positano to Capri - you'd need to check dates as it's seasonal. I'd get a train to Pompei rather than drive. Both are easily do-able

Whatabloodyidiot1 Mon 02-Jan-17 21:03:21

Bus from positano drops you right outside sorrento station, one train to Pompeii again drops you right there. Couldn't be anymore straightforward really. Stay at the palazzo Murat in positano and get the little boat from the jetty to the private beach, best food in the whole of positano!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now