Talk

Advanced search

Where is a must see in Rome??

(15 Posts)
smegsmeg Fri 30-Dec-16 06:45:39

Where to go and visit? Thanks in advance!!

Underparmummy Fri 30-Dec-16 14:36:24

Colosseum/forums - even if you don't in and just see everything along the road.

Trevi Fountain - beautiful but be prepared for bucketfuls of tourists

Vatican - massive queues to get in but if you just wonder past the outside you can get some of the feel and atmosphere.

Spanish steps and Via Condotti.

TRASTEVERE. Best quarter in a city ever! Mainly for restaurants/bars at night.

These are all the standard general must sees by the way - no hidden off the beaten track recommendations!

TheNaze73 Fri 30-Dec-16 14:39:11

Salotto 42 for drinks

All of what underparm said. Also like the piazza navona for a stroll

littlewoollypervert Fri 30-Dec-16 14:40:26

Piazza Navona. Castel San Angelo. Any church you pass by, go in and have a look - they are ALL amazing. Follow the Romans to restaurants - if it is packed with the natives, it's a good one. Go one or two streets off the main track - the price will be halved. Tomb of the Unknown Soldier - go up in the glass lift (there's a charge for it) for fab views of the city.

Walk where you can - it's quite a small city centre and you will see lots of beautiful buildings everywhere. The Metro is very good value too - I was there in Nov, a 3 day ticket was about €20 I think.

littlewoollypervert Fri 30-Dec-16 14:41:55

Oh, don't forget the Pantheon! The roof was cast as one single piece of concrete nearly 2,000 years ago - that just blows my mind. We probably couldn't manage that now...

Flightywoman Fri 30-Dec-16 15:01:32

The catacombs of San Clemente - there's an old Mithraeum from the 2nd century which is amazing!
basilicasanclemente.com/eng/

lljkk Fri 30-Dec-16 15:06:44

Colloseum & Panthenon for me.

It's just a wonderful city to walk around. One of my most faves ever.

landoflostcontent Fri 30-Dec-16 15:18:30

If you are planning to visit San Clemente (recommended above) I can thoroughly recommend the roman houses under the Basilica Santi Giovanni e Paolo. The Basilica itself is well worth a visit but the Roman Houses were something else. There was no one else there when we visited and one of the custodians came out and showed us round then left us to wander in peace. There is a small museum there as well. Lovely frescoes and a joy to wander in peace with no crowds. (Problem is, I have told so many people about it I expect they will be queuing six deep next time I visit grin )

jerryfudd Fri 30-Dec-16 15:18:43

Queues for collaseum and Vatican were horrendous but we prebooked tickets on line and you virtually side step the massive queues - well worth doing.

landoflostcontent Fri 30-Dec-16 15:19:48

Also, if you are near Santa Maria Maggiore don't miss nearby Santa Prassede. Just off via Merulana. Lovely mosaics

Helenluvsrob Fri 30-Dec-16 15:22:52

Largo de Torre Argentina outdoor site and the crypto balbi museum 2 blocks away. Hidden gem.

landoflostcontent Fri 30-Dec-16 15:29:14

Oh yes! The lovely cat sanctuary at the Largo de Torre Argentina. Lovely people. Now want to go back to Rome...

budgiegirl Fri 30-Dec-16 15:29:21

If you have time, walk up through the rose gardens to the Piazza of the Knights of Malta - peer through the keyhole in the gate there, for a lovely view .

The Pantheon was my favourite place, really beautiful, but I second just popping in to any church you pass, they are stunning (even my DH enjoyed them, and he usually isn't bothered by that kind of thing)

If you like wine, visit Cul de Sac, just off the Piazza Navona. It's pretty shabby (Formica tables), but the wine list is amazing - ask for the full list - with all the bottles on shelves above your head. Pretty decent meat and cheeses to accompany.

Trastavere is so pretty in the evening, just wander the streets stopping at whatever restaurant takes your fancy. There are also several bars doing aperetivo - usually a free buffet for the price of a drink. Makes a great starter, or small meal.

LockedOutOfMN Fri 30-Dec-16 15:31:08

Coliseum - go early morning to dodge queues - St Peter's and the Pantheon are my favourites. The Pantheon you can just wander into for free any time of the day.

Villa Borghese park is also well worth a visit if you've time.

Mamia15 Sun 08-Jan-17 09:04:20

Love Rome. Pre book tickets if possible for Vatican (a must see). I would split your time so that one day focuses on Vatican/st peter basilica etc and the other day on Roman Rome - coliseum, forum etc. Get to both Vatican and coliseum first thing to minimise queuing.

The rest of the time can be spent visiting other attractions and shopping - leather is great value if the exchange rate isn't too awful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now