Talk

Advanced search

Tuscany Summer 2017

(11 Posts)
KeepCalm Tue 27-Dec-16 19:18:51

Am swithering over buying flights into Pisa in July but not overly familiar with the area. We had been intending on going to the lakes but the flights there are double the price when DH has leave.

I've been mooching on Air BNB at some places but there is a massive distance between the ones I'd picked out and I'm none the wiser as to which is better having never been.

We'd need somewhere for us plus 3DC. Preferably with pool. We'd hire a car and hopefully see a few places...........

Anyone been? I'd be grateful for any/all recommendations..........

LIZS Tue 27-Dec-16 19:25:24

Tuscany really isn't that vast an area and the motorways are good and mostly easy to follow. Pisa to Florence is just over an hour, likewise Siena to Florence. Pisa to Lucca about 20 minutes. The main issue is the winding rural roads to towns like Volterra and San Giminiano. We flew to Bologna first time as it was cheaper than the Pisa flights, just over an hour north of Florence.

KeepCalm Tue 27-Dec-16 21:29:35

Cheapest flights DEF to Pisa and I don't mind where we stay. If we're not near a beach then I'd like a pool and would love to see a few places but not essential.

cauliwobbles Tue 27-Dec-16 21:35:08

Campiglioni.it

Rent the big house.

It's lovely.

We've been for years.

The owners are amazing. It's clean and you can cook for yourself or they cater for you (amazing food)

Fly to Pisa. You can visit Florence, Sienna and Arrezo and if don't mind a long train journey can do a day in Rome.

cauliwobbles Tue 27-Dec-16 21:35:49

I've recommended it before on here and met the family as they were there at the same time.

KeepCalm Tue 27-Dec-16 21:46:17

cauliwobbles do you mean here this one

If so it's sadly showing as unavailable for when we can book to go sad

cauliwobbles Tue 27-Dec-16 22:08:32

Yes, that's the one. It's ace, Orlanda and her family who run it are amazing.

Sad it's not available as it great value too.

KeepCalm Tue 27-Dec-16 22:20:56

I might message them just in case but it won't let me choose any of the time that we're away. Thank you though smile

KeepCalm Tue 27-Dec-16 22:23:25

And our dates are a tues to a tues where most of the sites I find only do Sat-Sat rental which is a completely understandable PITA

Stokey Mon 02-Jan-17 13:45:52

Tuscany is quite big, same size as Wales & with very windy roads. We stayed near Siena in a 4 bed villa on Air BnB but was an hour and a half drive from Florence, not great with kids in summer heat. That said there were lots of nice places nearer to visit. I'd try and stay in the bit between Siena & Florence if possible.

For the lakes, try flying to Milan. It's pretty cheap and then just half an hour by train or hour's drive to Lake Como.

KeepCalm Sat 07-Jan-17 22:57:32

Thanks Stokey. We're booked to fly into Pisa as the Milan flights shot up. I fancy a few days in pisa and a few days in florence before somewhere doing nothing for the remainder of the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now